Home
I don't know why, but I have been fancying an AR heavy barrel. This one is reasonably priced https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=79

What little reading I can find on it suggests that it is easily sub MOA. What are your experiences with heavy barrel AR 223s?
I like em. Have a RR upper (heavy and short) and a stag 6 (heavy and long) that are easy under an inch

They’re both pigs but soft shooting and only get carried to a bench and back so the weight isn’t a factor
Posted By: JRS3 Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/19/22
In a steel hunting barrel, I like the 18” for general purpose use to 500 yards.

I started with a heavy 24” and it was good for shooting from a bench but it was big and heavy. I sold the upper and got a medium contour 24” and it shoots just as well but a little lighter weight. Still big but good for long shots on prairie dogs.

A few years later, I got an 18” steel HB and it’s the best for the bulk of my hunting. It is a bit heavy to carry a lot but is portable and feels like the right size for hunting from blinds and carrying in the truck. It gets used 10:1 compared to the 24” above.
Posted By: TWR Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/19/22
I don’t think I’ve seen one of those heavy RR’s not shoot well.
A LW Peezer 18" will shoot wellllllll under MOA. Fhuqk the heavy schit. Hint............
Originally Posted by Big Stick
A LW Peezer 18" will shoot wellllllll under MOA. Fhuqk the heavy schit. Hint............

I’m not sure what the Peezer is but I’ve used a bunch of PSA uppers with the standard weight 18’s being the best so far but all being good. None have been stinkers and they’ve all shot. And they’re pretty cheap comparatively.
Posted By: TWR Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/19/22

All I have left is 16” pencil barrels. Handy dandy is most important!
I have a JSE Surplus 18" heavy barreled upper in 223 Wylde. On 12x I have kept 10 rounds of Federal 69 grain Match ammo inside and inch at 100 yards. I've done the same with handloads using Sierra 69 grain bullets and IMR 8208 BR powder.

Dan

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^in spades.

That RRA won't do a thing that a quality barreled 18" SPR at around 32 oz won't do as well or better. Or the same in 16".

And you won't need wheels to get it where it needs to be.

MM

WOA 18" SPR, Vltor MUR upper, SOPMOD stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Peezer makes a lotta Karens cry. Hint..............
Posted By: TheKid Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/20/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^in spades.

That RRA won't do a thing that a quality barreled 18" SPR at around 32 oz won't do as well or better. Or the same in 16".

And you won't need wheels to get it where it needs to be.

MM

WOA 18" SPR, Vltor MUR upper, SOPMOD stock.

Listen to these guys. I tote an 18” PSA literally all the time, if the truck leaves the driveway that rifles in it. It has never bobbled with any bullet or load and drives tacks on the rare occasion I am forced to shoot paper. It flat excels at killing stuff and the only thing I wish it was that it isn’t is lighter, I can’t imagine voluntarily carrying extra weight. It’s never seen a cleaning rod and I’ve got a $20 that says it’d put 3 Hornadys or Sierras under my thumbnail at 100 right now.

An hour an half ago. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I don't know why, but I have been fancying an AR heavy barrel. This one is reasonably priced https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=79

What little reading I can find on it suggests that it is easily sub MOA. What are your experiences with heavy barrel AR 223s?

You might want to check out this thread:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...6949600/ar15-accuracy-upper#Post16949600
Posted By: MarkWV Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/20/22
Leave the weight for .308’s.
Great for setting up in a praire dog town.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

10 shots with 60 gr V Max's.
It's not a carry everywhere gun.
This gun has a White Oak SPR barrel that was turned down similar to the old Colt pencil profile, and it shoots little tiny groups.

This has a custom barrel as well (cant recall which off the top of my head)

I have had varmint profile barrels in the past on ARs and they sucked for field use. If all you do is carry one from your truck to the bench at the local range then I suppose they would be fine, but if you are going to hunt with one or carry it in the field, I would definitely stay away from a varmint profile.
Heavy barreled AR's are, well...... Heavy.

It's the quality not the weight that makes a shooter.
sputtermatic,

Not with that piece of fhuqking schit scope. Hint...............

Not with that piece of fhuqking schit scope. Hint...............

And all this time, I thought you were a Sig guy........................ wink

MM
Not even a flip up bubble level,is gonna "save" that POS. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............
Originally Posted by TWR
I don’t think I’ve seen one of those heavy RR’s not shoot well.

That's encouraging!
Originally Posted by TheKid

Listen to these guys. I tote an 18” PSA literally all the time, if the truck leaves the driveway that rifles in it. It has never bobbled with any bullet or load and drives tacks on the rare occasion I am forced to shoot paper. It flat excels at killing stuff and the only thing I wish it was that it isn’t is lighter, I can’t imagine voluntarily carrying extra weight. It’s never seen a cleaning rod and I’ve got a $20 that says it’d put 3 Hornadys or Sierras under my thumbnail at 100 right now.

An hour an half ago. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Which model is that?

C'moan, man..................don't hold back; just spll yer gut & tell us what you really think of the POS scope.

Kaughin' here.

MM

May as well have base fasteners,extended over the exhaust port. Oooooopsie! Too late. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/20/22

Says the guy hawking $300 Athlons. laugh
Trybone,

I get it,that you are a CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Thieving Schit and your grave financial woes,ain't mine...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Please cite the "$300 Athlons",which are sooooooooo above your Pay "Grade" and trouble you so. HINT.

Pardon wares that exist,if only to your Couchbound Chagrin. Hint.

Did you finance yours with the $50/month option?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...81968/re-hunting-scope-help#Post16981968
laugh laugh laugh
Trybone,

Due the simplistic fact,that you are forced to steal pictures and even "your" Avatar,I'm VERY "surprised" to learn,that you need a co-signer for Scopes too...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Please cite the "$300 Athlons",which are sooooooooo above your Pay "Grade" and trouble you so. HINT.

I guess a Walmart greeter couldn't afford much as far as glass.

Trybone,

Due the simplistic fact,that you are forced to steal pictures and even "your" Avatar,I'm VERY "surprised" to learn,that you need a co-signer for Scopes too...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Posted By: TheKid Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/20/22

Which model is that?

18” SS Wylde Rifle gas. Not sure what the cheese grater hand guard is called, personally I’d rather a plain tube but they didn’t sell them like that and I ain’t investing any more money than necessary in my truck gun. It was a “rifle kit” I bought from PSA a few years ago to replace my old truck gun that was stolen.

Which model is that?

18” SS Wylde Rifle gas. Not sure what the cheese grater hand guard is called, personally I’d rather a plain tube but they didn’t sell them like that and I ain’t investing any more money than necessary in my truck gun. It was a “rifle kit” I bought from PSA a few years ago to replace my old truck gun that was stolen.

??

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...t-m-lok-upper-with-bcg-ch-516445214.html
That ain't a Cheese Grater,but is Skookum. Hint...............
Posted By: TheKid Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Which model is that?

??

Looks like the one. At old time prices to boot.
How much difference does a Wylde chamber make?
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/21/22

I had a Bushmaster V-Match (I think that’s right). Long time ago. It was very accurate, but a bit awkward to shoot. Not the exact question, but I also had a DPMS 308LR, which is an AR10, just a big honkin’ thing. INCREDIBLY accurate rifle, just amazing really. But a BEAST. Again, I find the ergo’s of an AR are a bit awkward for precision shooting; so big heavy AR-pattern rifles haven’t “stuck” with me. But they’ve all been accurate, to your point.

Which model is that?

??

When you order something like that, do you simply need to attach it to a "complete" lower to have a functional gun? Is this part the part that requires shipment to an FFL?
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I had a Bushmaster V-Match (I think that’s right). Long time ago. It was very accurate, but a bit awkward to shoot. Not the exact question, but I also had a DPMS 308LR, which is an AR10, just a big honkin’ thing. INCREDIBLY accurate rifle, just amazing really. But a BEAST. Again, I find the ergo’s of an AR are a bit awkward for precision shooting; so big heavy AR-pattern rifles haven’t “stuck” with me. But they’ve all been accurate, to your point.

Thanks Jeff O

When you order something like that, do you simply need to attach it to a "complete" lower to have a functional gun? Is this part the part that requires shipment to an FFL?

Yes, it will attach to a complete lower. No FFL needed for the upper. FFL transfer is for lower receivers.
Originally Posted by Certifiable
I like em. Have a RR upper (heavy and short) and a stag 6 (heavy and long) that are easy under an inch

They’re both pigs but soft shooting and only get carried to a bench and back so the weight isn’t a factor

I think there were more Stag 6 rifles in the black rifle challenge that shot under moa than any other rifle. I remember guys like you were suggesting it, so I bought one. The rifle shot amazing, but it was too heavy. If I were just going to shoot off a bench all day, I'd be using one of those. Needless to say, I sold it after I bought my first 20" barreled rifle. My 20" is fluted and is a lot lighter than the big 24" barreled stag. I am one that doesn't like the 18" or shorter rifles. They do not shoot as smoothly as the 20" rifle length system. That's my choice.
Originally Posted by MarkWV
Leave the weight for .308’s.

Leave the 308 at home, you mean. I much prefer my 6.5 CM. If going AR10/AR308 platform..
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/21/22

Which model is that?

??

Ahhh.... this is your first AR..... ho boy, are you in for a treat. There’s a whole other world of shootin’ to be had in AR’s. The bang for the buck is amazing- due to the .gov investment, they are extremely high-quality, well engineered and debugged rifles. And ridiculously cheap for what you get. Even the bad ones, are damn good, compared to just about any other civilian semi-auto.

I will warn you, you can’t really have just the one.... smile They are like bikes that way (got my Spec Ultegra Roubaix out for a spin today, felt awesome)...

Which model is that?

??

Ahhh.... this is your first AR..... ho boy, are you in for a treat. There’s a whole other world of shootin’ to be had in AR’s. The bang for the buck is amazing- due to the .gov investment, they are extremely high-quality, well engineered and debugged rifles. And ridiculously cheap for what you get. Even the bad ones, are damn good, compared to just about any other civilian semi-auto.

I will warn you, you can’t really have just the one.... smile They are like bikes that way (got my Spec Ultegra Roubaix out for a spin today, felt awesome)...

I have an AR and have taken them completely apart and put them back together (military) I have never purchased the "uppers" and "lowers" to "build" one and don't want to make any assumptions based on what I think I know.
Originally Posted by auk1124

Yes, it will attach to a complete lower. No FFL needed for the upper. FFL transfer is for lower receivers.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Certifiable

I think there were more Stag 6 rifles in the black rifle challenge that shot under moa than any other rifle. I remember guys like you were suggesting it, so I bought one. The rifle shot amazing, but it was too heavy. If I were just going to shoot off a bench all day, I'd be using one of those. Needless to say, I sold it after I bought my first 20" barreled rifle. My 20" is fluted and is a lot lighter than the big 24" barreled stag. I am one that doesn't like the 18" or shorter rifles. They do not shoot as smoothly as the 20" rifle length system. That's my choice.

I just found that thread. I don't know whether to thank you or cuss you. It is raining today.
Do any of you have experience with the PSA EPT trigger?
If I was looking for a complete lower right now, it would be hard to find anything that could beat the Palmetto lowers with Magpul MOE furniture. That's a lot of lower, for little coin. Here is a blem for 140 bucks, free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-ar15-complete-moe-ept-stealth-lower-fde.html

Never had one of their triggers, but if it wasn't to my liking, that's an easy fix. There are plenty of nice AR triggers out there.
If I was looking for a complete lower right now, it would be hard to find anything that could beat the Palmetto lowers with Magpul MOE furniture. That's a lot of lower, for little coin. Here is a blem for 140 bucks, free shipping.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psa-ar15-complete-moe-ept-stealth-lower-fde.html

Never had one of their triggers, but if it wasn't to my liking, that's an easy fix. There are plenty of nice AR triggers out there.

I could add that to the upper posted earlier and be into it for $520. It'd be kinda homely, but that rarely deters me.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/21/22
Function trumps beauty in lots of places. For what I use an auto loading rifle for I look at aesthetics just about last.

FWIW my rifle is the above mentioned PSA upper on a spray painted Anderson blem lower with some kind of packet trigger Brownells had on blowout sale a few Black Fridays back.

And to give credit where it is due, I asked at the time what was a good value for my needs and Stick steered me in the right direction.

$520 Barring any objections from the masses, I am going to order this.

It's sure as hell nowhere near any really decent aftermarket trigger, like a Geiselle.................just a nickel plated stock mil-spec version.

Don't waste money on it.

Especially if you're wanting a "prcision" or varmint rifle......................you'll want something significantly better.

Geiselle GS2 is a very good trigger for the money especially if you can find it on sale, & especially after you put a lighter (Wolff) trigger spring in it.

If you want an economical single stage trigger, Rise Armament has some decent models.

MM
I want a cassette trigger...which means CMC Flatty. Hint.............

With PSA you want to stick with either their stainless barrels, that are made in house, or the CHF barrels made by FN. These are their best shooters, and IMO will give you the fewest issues. Their Nitrate barrels are more hit or miss in the accuracy department. Even Stick likes their 18" rifle gas barrels, and he don't like much, so that's telling you something.
I prolly LOVE 'em. Hint.............

It's sure as hell nowhere near any really decent aftermarket trigger, like a Geiselle.................just a nickel plated stock mil-spec version.

Don't waste money on it.

Especially if you're wanting a "prcision" or varmint rifle......................you'll want something significantly better.

Geiselle GS2 is a very good trigger for the money especially if you can find it on sale, & especially after you put a lighter (Wolff) trigger spring in it.

If you want an economical single stage trigger, Rise Armament has some decent models.

MM

Another great trigger for the money is the 2 stage varmint match RRA. I use a bunch of them right along side the Geiselle SSAE and even a single stage CMC 3.5 pound that isn't bad. I prefer the RRA personally. Most times you can find it on sale at RTBA for $79.95. And of course the Larue tactical MBT2S is always a great option as well..

Alright, I just ordered this. Stick, I am going to be pissed if this thing isn't sub MOA with my NC Star scope.
If your old reliable NcStar doesn't work, try this one from Amazon. 900 5 star reviews! It's what the snipers in the Pakistan Navy Seals used when they were guarding Salami Ben Lorden.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
Paula,

Be as pissed as you please,because in the end,your "abilities" are solely your's. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...........
If your old reliable NcStar doesn't work, try this one from Amazon. 900 5 star reviews! It's what the snipers in the Pakistan Navy Seals used when they were guarding Salami Ben Lorden.

I haven't decided what I want to do about optics yet.
The Warne 20 moa cantilever scope mounts are nice, and seem to run around 100-120 bucks.

Suh-WEEEEET!!
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/21/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Suh-WEEEEET!!

Do they have an easy payment option? Maybe Stick could afford one!
In fairness,I've not put a NIB Rifle together,since an hour or so ago. Hint.

At least Trybone gets to read about it and steal fresh pics,while fretting her HILARIOUS "paycheck"...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............
In fairness,I've not put a NIB Rifle together,since an hour or so ago. Hint.

At least Trybone gets to read about it and steal fresh pics,while fretting her HILARIOUS "paycheck"...the "lucky" kchunt. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Threadjacking my own thread. Tell me what I am looking at there. That's a sweet looking rig.
French Blued/Walnut 30-'06. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.................

It’s got good grain and figure! grin
Prolly the OIl Finish,casting a favorable light. Hint...................(grin)
Originally Posted by beretzs

It’s got good grain and figure! grin

New fangled short action 30-06. Probably a 30-06 Creedjesus.
A Remchester?...........................really? a fu^ckin' Remchester?

I can't believe my lyin' eyes.

MM
Any idea what ring height I'd need to get this ocular to clear the rail? I'd like to go as low as possible.

https://www.natchezss.com/zeiss-con...minated-zqar-62-reticle-black-matte.html
Posted By: JPro Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/22/22
Have you ever shot an AR with a low ring setup? It’s terribly uncomfortable, due to the height of the gas tube in relation to the bore. I like lows on a bolt gun, but I want a rough height of 2.5” to centerline on an AR. Like most of your commercial 1pc mounts. (2.5" is centerline of bore to centerline of mount).

And I’m another +1 on the Wylde 18” PSA SS rifle-gas uppers. My favorite for the money so far. Mine shoots and carries well enough to warrant another.
MM,

I like sandbaggin'. Hint...............

Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/22/22
I'm surprised your eye can reach the scope centerline on that last one due to your lack of a neck.

BTW, good luck getting all the parallax out of that Crapthlon.
Trybone,

You set astride your Couchbound Kchunt and steal pics,while whining aloud...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Oooooooopsie! Too late! Hint.

Fortunately,Imagination and Pretend are free,so you can "afford" to "contribute". Hint.

Bless your poor poor(literally) heart,for Lying,Crying,Whining and Trying.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................
Originally Posted by JPro
Have you ever shot an AR with a low ring setup? It’s terribly uncomfortable, due to the height of the gas tube in relation to the bore. I like lows on a bolt gun, but I want a rough height of 2.5” to centerline on an AR. Like most of your commercial 1pc mounts.

And I’m another +1 on the Wylde 18” PSA SS rifle-gas uppers. My favorite for the money so far. Mine shoots and carries well enough to warrant another.

Hmmm. I have a scope on my current AR. It is mounted in medium rings on a riser that is less than 1/2 inch. It seems about right, but I'll have to go piddle with it some more. I thought if I could do away with the riser, I would.

Glad to hear that the PSA upper is working for you!
Just another view on the hi/lo ring thing. If you shoot prone, you'll want low rings for cheek weld. If you are going to be shooting offhand, higher rings are of some benefit.
For most uses, I like my eye to be centered in the scope when I throw the gun to my shoulder. If I'm going to be shooting more than a few shots prone, I like them low to prevent neck pain.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/22/22
Do you carry two rifles or keep two scopes in separate mounts to account for shooting position?
Do you carry two rifles or keep two scopes in separate mounts to account for shooting position?

No, I carry a rifle AND a shotgun. Never know when a bird is going to flush. laugh laugh

Did you need any mods to the gas block or buffer/spring for the can there? Appreciate it.....

[. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I HAVE to run high rings or a mount like The Kids on my ARs. Lows are like a monkey screwing a football for me and have been.
I’m sure it’s a little over gassed with the can on it. Brass ejects at about 2:30. I just RTVed the charging handle and got back to shooting. I suppose I should change buffers or gas block someday. But so far no issues and it’s actually relatively clean inside. I probably only have 200 rounds through it since adding the can.
Good to know. Have a handful of cans in jail right now and one will definitely be purposed for a knock-around AR.
Good to know. Have a handful of cans in jail right now and one will definitely be purposed for a knock-around AR.

It’s the business for shooting pigs and coyotes. Doubles on coyotes are way easier since the second isn’t in high gear after the shot most times. And it confuses the hell out of pigs when you lay into a big bunch of them up close, they run towards me more often than not. A while back I killed 10 out of one group, had them circling around me confused as heck and I just kept shooting.
I remember seeing that post about that killing spree. Sounds like a really good day. I've connected with 4 a few times on rainy days when they weren't spooking off very far after a shot, but never 10.
I HAVE to run high rings or a mount like The Kids on my ARs. Lows are like a monkey screwing a football for me and have been.

Good info. Thanks.
Unless you have a huge objective that needs more, a mount that puts the centerline of the scope about 1.4-1.5" above the top of the rail on an AR is about right for most people.

Most picatinny rings & mounts will call out that dimension.

American Defense Mfg. (ADM) makes a variety of heights in their mounts. Seekins mount are good, not as much variety, & Warne's are decent.

MM
MM,

I like sandbaggin'. Hint...............

Sandbaggin is always good................never spill yer guts when ya don't have to & keep a little in reserve.

MM
ADM is almost overwhelming in their variety of offerings, but all I hear are good things. The last time I ordered one I went with the QD Warne 30mm XSKEL for about $150.
Any idea what ring height I'd need to get this ocular to clear the rail? I'd like to go as low as possible.

Paul,

For reference, on a standard iron sighted AR, the rear peep is around 1.365" bottomed out.

I use the Geissele Super Precision scope mounts at 1.300 tall.

Shooting standing, sitting, and prone using a UBR stock (No adjustable cheek piece) this height works well.
Originally Posted by Mike70560

Paul,

For reference, on a standard iron sighted AR, the rear peep is around 1.365" bottomed out.

I use the Geissele Super Precision scope mounts at 1.300 tall.

Shooting standing, sitting, and prone using a UBR stock (No adjustable cheek piece) this height works well.

Thanks Mike.
This has been a pretty good thread. What would you do if this was what you had on hand?

This has been a pretty good thread. What would you do if this was what you had on hand?

26’ish grains of the CFE223 with the 75 ELDs in the Lapuas.
All those are good bullets, & I really like the RDF's in both 70 & 77's; the 60 TMK is good too & has been very accurate for me.............not a big fan of the ELD's but really haven't spent much time on them either.

Kinda depends of the range your going to be max'ing out at with the heavy bullets being best at longer ranges.....................but you already knew that.

TAC is usually more consistently accurate than CFE, but some have better luck than others with it.................for me, it's good enough to use, just not in the same league as several other more consistently accurate powders.

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/22/22
If I remember right the 75’s won’t fit in the magazine so I’d run the 77’s with TAC at around 2750 fps.

I’d trip the Lapuas to someone with a bolt gun or a brass catcher. Grab up a big box of once fireds with the money. Stuff the TMKs over some CFE. Use about 4 of them to zero and set to making varmints dead.

I realize I have different goals than most
I didn’t know ARs would work with new brass.
Originally Posted by shootem

LOL. I want to really see what I can do to develop an accuracy load.
All those are good bullets, & I really like the RDF's in both 70 & 77's; the 60 TMK is good too & has been very accurate for me.............not a big fan of the ELD's but really haven't spent much time on them either.

Kinda depends of the range your going to be max'ing out at with the heavy bullets being best at longer ranges.....................but you already knew that.

TAC is usually more consistently accurate than CFE, but some have better luck than others with it.................for me, it's good enough to use, just not in the same league as several other more consistently accurate powders.

MM

What are your preferred 223/5.56 powders?
Originally Posted by TWR
If I remember right the 75’s won’t fit in the magazine so I’d run the 77’s with TAC at around 2750 fps.

You’re right. Apologies, forgot he was talking ARs.

I use LVR for pretty much all my AR stuff lately. Seems to work well for me with 77’s.
ELD X. Same as old amax ? I think.

Anyway yes they fit in the mag. Fugly but they work. I've shot some 7-9x cleans 300 rapid fire with irons with mag length 75 amax. I never believed it until I tried it. IIRC I didn't have the same luck with JLK 75 at that time, had to go to a cut out mag with them.

Less that 62 gr = VV 133
62-70, & good enough with 77's = IMR 8208 XBR
70-77's = VV 540 (gets a little more velocity than 8208)
Another great powder with 77's is Alliant 2000-MR

See this recent thread for lots of good input from a lot of good shooters on powder

Accurate Powders for 223W/5.56

MM

Less that 62 gr = VV 133
62-70, & good enough with 77's = IMR 8208 XBR
70-77's = VV 540 (gets a little more velocity than 8208)
Another great powder with 77's is Alliant 2000-MR

See this recent thread for lots of good input from a lot of good shooters on powder

Accurate Powders for 223W/5.56

MM

Good thread, thanks.

I'd be wishing I had primers and better powder, if that's all I had..
Originally Posted by shootem

LOL. I want to really see what I can do to develop an accuracy load.

I love that Lapua brass.............

In my 6x45. Works great.. My 223 AR's get range pick up. Nothing wrong with running Lapua in the 223 ar though..
Originally Posted by TWR

Bingo.^^^^^ Wrong bullet shape because of the secant ogive on the 75. Kind of sucks because that is a good bullet. Just not in a standard AR 15 magazine.

I have several flavors of primers. Like most of us, I have to roll with what I have for powder right now.
I am still kicking around scopes. Since I already have a plinking AR, I want to put a scope that lends itself to greater precision. I won't be driving nails, purposefully dropping or staging in streams with salmon, so I don't need the best of the best. I mentioned this one earlier, and it is a good deal, but I think I want more than 4X.

These are two non-Chinese options.

https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...-illuminated-riflescope/BU-AR71824I.html $310
https://www.bushnell.com/riflescope...-illuminated-riflescope/BU-AR71824I.html $240

Stepping up a bit in magnification and price. I already have one of these on another rifle and like it pretty well.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-...on-Hunter-1-in-Matte-Black-Riflesco.aspx

I'd buy some ASC stainless mags and fill those Lapuas with CFE.

And I'd look for some AR Comp, N140, Benchmark or 8208.

YMMV
I am still kicking around scopes. Since I already have a plinking AR, I want to put a scope that lends itself to greater precision. I won't be driving nails, purposefully dropping or staging in streams with salmon, so I don't need the best of the best. I mentioned this one earlier, and it is a good deal, but I think I want more than 4X.

As good a deal as any for the money.............at Camera Land, & you'll get it for less if you call & tell them who you are on the fire. Comes ins MIL or MOA reticle/turrets.

Athlon 2-12x42

You'd have to step up to a Nightforce SHV 3x10 for about double the money to do much better, IMO, which happens to be my 1st choice.

Been some really mixed press about that Trijicon so I'd be careful there.

MM

As good a deal as any for the money.............at Camera Land, & you'll get it for less if you call & tell them who you are on the fire. Comes ins MIL or MOA reticle/turrets.

Athlon 2-12x42

You'd have to step up to a Nightforce SHV 3x10 for about double the money to do much better, IMO, which happens to be my 1st choice.

Been some really mixed press about that Trijicon so I'd be careful there.

MM

What kind of mixed press on Trijicon? Can't do Chinese, so Athlon is out. I have ordered from Doug several times in the past, but in this case, he is out of what I'd consider. https://cameralandny.com/shop/meopt...6?variation=3146461&query=optika%206
Can't remember the details about the Trijicon but it was in the Optics Forum not too long ago, so try searching there.

That Optika is OK if you want to live with a scope of that magnification. Kinda limits precision if you want to stretch it out..................but that's a personal choice, scope is fine.

Lots of guys say they are fine with 6x to 500 yards or so, just a matter of precision, IMO, & the size of the target.

MM
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/23/22
I'd buy a Trijicon loonngg before I'd buy an Athlon.
The Trijicon doesn't have best-quality glass, but it ain't $2 grand either.
I've shot 2 Athlons. One had 3MOA of parallax that couldn't be adjusted out, the other grouped like a shotgun. I did not screw with warrantee service on the one that was mine. I sent it back for a refund. Fixed junk is still junk.

Don't waste money on it.

MM

The Larue MBT or whatever it is called is really good as well. I have a bunch of G2S's and a few of the Larue's and the Larue's are as nice and I kinda like them a skosh more as well.

I have a bunch of PSA's like what is shown and haven't gotten into a stinker yet.
Can't remember the details about the Trijicon but it was in the Optics Forum not too long ago, so try searching there.

That Optika is OK if you want to live with a scope of that magnification. Kinda limits precision if you want to stretch it out..................but that's a personal choice, scope is fine.

Lots of guys say they are fine with 6x to 500 yards or so, just a matter of precision, IMO, & the size of the target.

MM

Sightron has some decent looking scopes as well. I have a couple of the Athlon's and one of the Trijicon 3-18's FFP/Mils. I love the Trijicon, but for 1/3 the Athlon is very very good. Some great options out there nowadays.

If thats all you had right now you'd be happy. At least I would be. TAC works very well. Won and placed in a lot of things using it as NTIT ammo with 77s. Had we kept shooting a lot I'd have had more uses for TAC also.

I'm not saying there isn't better, but TAC will easily suffice for anything needing done when you can't get supposed better powders off the shelf.
Originally Posted by TWR

Bingo.^^^^^ Wrong bullet shape because of the secant ogive on the 75. Kind of sucks because that is a good bullet. Just not in a standard AR 15 magazine.

So the ELD-X isn't the old amax?
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by TWR

the 75 ELD M is about the same as the old Amax. When you said they looked funny loaded in AR mags I am almost surprised you didn't have to push the whole bullet into the neck to make it fit. I could be off though.
Posted By: hanco Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/23/22

What little reading I can find on it suggests that it is easily sub MOA. What are your experiences with heavy barrel ERR 223s?

I have a couple of Rock River Varmint models. They are very accurate. I load 62 grain Bear claws or 62 TTSX for them

Originally Posted by Tyrone
I've shot 2 Athlons. One had 3MOA of parallax that couldn't be adjusted out, the other grouped like a shotgun. I did not screw with warrantee service on the one that was mine. I sent it back for a refund. Fixed junk is still junk.

This.

I wouldn't spend my money on an Athlon.
Posted By: TWR Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/23/22
I'm a Trijicon fan, have 3 now and will buy more.

Jeff, yes it's like the Amax, I forgot you loaded them with the mouth open. I just can't do it.
Originally Posted by TWR

the 75 ELD M is about the same as the old Amax. When you said they looked funny loaded in AR mags I am almost surprised you didn't have to push the whole bullet into the neck to make it fit. I could be off though.

Hornady says they are not for AR15 magazine length because of the shape of the bullet. They suggest single loading and an OAL of 2.390" I believe. There have been some guys load them for ar's, but they trim their brass back so they can apply a slight crimp. Just a hassle as far as I'm concerned. One of the reasons Hornady designed the 73gr ELD match bullet was for the AR so you can shoot a bullet with similar (I know, not nearly as good, but nonetheless) BC's as the 75gr, but it will fit in the magazine with no problems. As you said, the ELD match is basically the same thing as the old A max, but with some revisions to make it better... As for the ELDX, which Hornady never made a 75gr version, was designed to be more like the interlock, but with a polymer tip. Hornady says better for hunting, similar performance as the good ol interlock, but with a sleeker profile... A lot of you guys already know this
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

This.

I'd like to say scopes are subjective, but they aren't. They either work or they do not. I've had excellent luck with Burris AR specific scopes on all of my ar's. From 223, 6WOA, 6.5 creedmoor and 308 winchester AR10's. The AR556 and AR7.62 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes have been excellent. Just my experience and the reason I use them. They track well and return to zero every time. No issues so far, but I do not shoot them to 1,000 yards, like I do my Nightforces... I've dialed them out to 500 a time or 3. Yes, I've had Trijicon too and was not happy with the glass. Not chidting on someone's favorite scope, just saying it was not for me. Like Leupold, if they work for you, use them. I see Hanco has some nice looking RRA's with heavy barrels (the subject of the thread). I don't know how much he shoots those rifles, but if they are working for him, that is great. I've seen many of them go tits up. Seen many Vortex go tits up too.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/23/22
With the advent of the 77TMK, there's no reason to load 75 ELDs to mag length unless you just happen to have some to get rid of.
Posted By: 79S Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/23/22
Right now I’m having very good luck with 70gr rdf’s seated to 2.310 (asc stainless steel mags).

This.

I'd like to say scopes are subjective, but they aren't. They either work or they do not. I've had excellent luck with Burris AR specific scopes on all of my ar's. From 223, 6WOA, 6.5 creedmoor and 308 winchester AR10's. The AR556 and AR7.62 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes have been excellent. Just my experience and the reason I use them. They track well and return to zero every time. No issues so far, but I do not shoot them to 1,000 yards, like I do my Nightforces... I've dialed them out to 500 a time or 3. Yes, I've had Trijicon too and was not happy with the glass. Not chidting on someone's favorite scope, just saying it was not for me. Like Leupold, if they work for you, use them. I see Hanco has some nice looking RRA's with heavy barrels (the subject of the thread). I don't know how much he shoots those rifles, but if they are working for him, that is great. I've seen many of them go tits up. Seen many Vortex go tits up too.

This comment and most of the others a great. I like to hear opposing points of view. The comments about Trijicon glass are interesting. I recently bought one (Credo) that I love the glass on. I think our individual eye difference plays heavily into what we consider good glass.

I also never knew of the 75 ELD not being recommended for ARs. It's not on the box anywhere. I have 2 223 bolt guns (9 twist) that I can try them in.
With the advent of the 77TMK, there's no reason to load 75 ELDs to mag length unless you just happen to have some to get rid of.

Exactly. Those are excellent bullets. I know beretzs likes them too. I'm thinking about going to Reno to buy some more.... Hit some of my favorite little gunshops a long the way too... You guys have fun discussing the ins and outs of highly accurate heavy barreled AR's.. Maybe some of you guys can talk some of these jokers (hanco, I'm talking you. I always hear how accurate your chidt is) into posting some 10 shot groups while I'm away. 2 of them side by side (saw that somewhere, maybe snipershide??? No, they shoot 5 shot groups like whiney little bitotches).. Like this for example:

Hey, stick likes posting pics. I wonder if he knows how to use a printer???

None of that 3 shot group bull chidt.. Well, unless you want. I guess rost has resorted to using more and more 1 and 3 shot groups, so its alright...I'm on board. ha ha.. at 4 and 600 yards maybe...with a lightweight bullet that isn't supposed to stabilize in my rifle.
You boys have fun today. I know I will. Don't strain yourself too much, trying to measure your di cks....

Exactly. Those are excellent bullets. I know beretzs likes them too. I'm thinking about going to Reno to buy some more.... Hit some of my favorite little gunshops a long the way too... You guys have fun discussing the ins and outs of highly accurate heavy barreled AR's.. Maybe some of you guys can talk some of these jokers (hanco, I'm talking you. I always hear how accurate your chidt is) into posting some 10 shot groups while I'm away. 2 of them side by side (saw that somewhere, maybe snipershide??? No, they shoot 5 shot groups like whiney little bitotches).. Like this for example:

None of that 3 shot group bull chidt.. Well, unless you want. I guess rost has resorted to using more and more 1 and 3 shot groups, so its alright...I'm on board. ha ha.. at 4 and 600 yards maybe...with a lightweight bullet that isn't supposed to stabilize in my rifle.
You boys have fun today. I know I will. Don't strain yourself too much, trying to measure your di cks....

Oh for Christ sakes stop..
Bsa hangs out with some long range shooters in Nevaduh for a week…
The 75eld-m can be loaded to 2.315-2.320 ish in ASC stainless mags. Ymmv with accuracy, also use a ball powder like tac, 2460, etc..
Or one can do what AMU does with their mags.. to run bullets longer..
Originally Posted by TWR

Originally Posted by TWR

Hornady says they are not for AR15 magazine length because of the shape of the bullet. They suggest single loading and an OAL of 2.390" I believe. There have been some guys load them for ar's, but they trim their brass back so they can apply a slight crimp. Just a hassle as far as I'm concerned. One of the reasons Hornady designed the 73gr ELD match bullet was for the AR so you can shoot a bullet with similar (I know, not nearly as good, but nonetheless) BC's as the 75gr, but it will fit in the magazine with no problems. As you said, the ELD match is basically the same thing as the old A max, but with some revisions to make it better... As for the ELDX, which Hornady never made a 75gr version, was designed to be more like the interlock, but with a polymer tip. Hornady says better for hunting, similar performance as the good ol interlock, but with a sleeker profile... A lot of you guys already know this

Yup, I trust a manufacturer that hasn't done what they are saying not to do. I've done it. Seen it done. There are much better options now, but as noted in another post if its what you have.... I happen to have thousands of the 75 amax left around for practice ammo.

Never trimmed more. Doesn't need a crimp if you control neck tension. And if you load 100% case capacity which helps with accuracy to start with.

Then again I could be wrong.

Then again H said the amax was not a hunting bullet either..... Of course H has to put in print something that covers all the idiots out there than can't think for themselves.

Don't waste money on it.

MM

The Larue MBT or whatever it is called is really good as well. I have a bunch of G2S's and a few of the Larue's and the Larue's are as nice and I kinda like them a skosh more as well.

I have a bunch of PSA's like what is shown and haven't gotten into a stinker yet.

Yeah, I agree, the LaRue triggers are about the same as the Geiselle G2S, same comment there about the trigger spring..................I have 3 or 4 of the LaRue's.

MM
But what about 10 shot groups? 😂
The pic I posted is a 10 shot group.
Originally Posted by 79S
The 75eld-m can be loaded to 2.315-2.320 ish in ASC stainless mags. Ymmv with accuracy, also use a ball powder like tac, 2460, etc..

Gotcha. Makes sense. I just shoot the dirty 77 TMK and live with my head under a rock grin
Originally Posted by splattermatic
The pic I posted is a 10 shot group.

I was being sarcastic

Or a smarta$$ take your pic
Posted By: SLM Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22
You’re an idiot.

Speaking of proving up with pics?

Ya, I know, you never think to take pics, it’s bragging, etc.

bsa,aka bull shcitt artist...how bout you shoot as many 10 shot groups as your little heart desires and quit worrying about what everyone else is shooting......

Posted By: TheKid Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22
I’d rather slam my crank in a car door than go sit at a bench and shoot ten shots at the same piece of paper. Golf sounds less boring to me.
Posted By: SLM Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22
You and me both.

I’d rather slam my crank in a car door than go sit at a bench and shoot ten shots at the same piece of paper. Golf sounds less boring to me.

Took a little longer than expected as I was a the file cabinet.......[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]sly cooper wallpaper
Pretty proud of this target a little over 200 rds.........[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Reading through this thread has got me fired up to dig out my Bushmaster Varminter. Great varmint rifle but just a little too heavy and long to be a comfortable hunting gun. Good luck, Dave
Posted By: ribka Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22
Jeff you've spent the past 4 years on here peddling your Trump Russian collusion lies. you've proven over and over again you're a low iq anti gun, anti hunting pathological liar and a drug addict

didn't you injure yourself opening a box of nobler bullets? prove me wrong

Which model is that?

??

Posted By: 79S Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22

Hey Hondo, What if it’s at 600yds or 1000yds???
Originally Posted by 79S

Gotcha. Makes sense. I just shoot the dirty 77 TMK and live with my head under a rock grin

The 70gr rdf has a bc of .417 so real curious to see how accurate the BC really out to 600yds.
Originally Posted by 79S

No thanks, doesn’t interest me.
Posted By: JPro Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22
Doesn’t interest me either, but to each, his own.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/24/22
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

That's not on a 1" grid target - doesn't count. Your rifle doesn't shoot. Sorry, gotta have rules.

/sarc laugh

Oh, and that's 11, not 10. Rules specifically state 10 shots.

That's not on a 1" grid target - doesn't count. Your rifle doesn't shoot. Sorry, gotta have rules.

/sarc laugh

Had 2nd thoughts about posting that pic because I knew Id be called out for wrong # of shots……

/sarc laugh

Had 2nd thoughts about posting that pic because I knew Id be called out for wrong # of shots……

Besides, it looks like you should of stopped at 10.
Originally Posted by 79S

Just walking creeks trading gunsmith work for gold??

So what are your interests? Drinking beer, smashing pussy, and shooting stop signs with your shotgun??
Originally Posted by 79S

So what are your interests? Drinking beer, smashing pussy, and shooting stop signs with your shotgun??

I am not really much of a beer person.
Originally Posted by 79S

I am not really much of a beer person.

Omit beer and put Zima’s in its place. Lol..
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Ah just busting yo balls.. we know your true passion is noodling and building authentic Samurai Katana swords..
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Ah just busting yo balls.. we know your true passion is noodling and building authentic Samurai Katana swords..

In between riverboat gambling trips
Just ordered a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 with MOA Precision Hunter reticle and Vortex (dumbest name in the optics industry) "co-witness" rings that will put me at 1.46" above bore. PSA shipped the lower today. Their uppers can take a bit longer to ship.
Well, just got tracking info on the upper. It won't be long before we know whether I am pissed at you guys or not.
Originally Posted by 79S

Why do you have to judge a fella John whistle
Just ordered a Trijicon Credo 3-9x40 with MOA Precision Hunter reticle and Vortex (dumbest name in the optics industry) "co-witness" rings that will put me at 1.46" above bore. PSA shipped the lower today. Their uppers can take a bit longer to ship.

You might want to double check that ring height dimension................I'm betting that dimension is 1.46" above the top of the rail, not the bore.

MM

You might want to double check that ring height dimension................I'm betting that dimension is 1.46" above the top of the rail, not the bore.

MM

Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that.
Posted By: 79S Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 02/25/22
Originally Posted by 79S

Why do you have to judge a fella John whistle

😬
Well, just got tracking info on the upper. It won't be long before we know whether I am pissed at you guys or not.

If there's anything wrong with it, it's just the Paul Barnard Gun Curse striking again.

How did you get your curse, take the name of Elmer Keith in Vain?
Is it worth the price difference between these 2? Looks like the bolt is only difference.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...-with-nickel-boron-bcg-ch-516446372.html

Not for me. But I’m cheap. I think I have the more expensive one you showed cause that’s what was available when I was looking but I wouldn’t have paid more if they were both available.
Manganese Phosphate BCG's have been known to work just fine (hint) & If you don't like it at some time in the future, you can upgrade it to something better than NiB, which is not the best coating in the world, IMO.

So, no, that price differential is not worth it IMO.................if it was DLC or chrome, then maybe so. IMO, good nitriding is better than NiB.

MM

If there's anything wrong with it, it's just the Paul Barnard Gun Curse striking again.

How did you get your curse, take the name of Elmer Keith in Vain?

I am anxiously awaiting it to see what's broken.
Manganese Phosphate BCG's have been known to work just fine (hint) & If you don't like it at some time in the future, you can upgrade it to something better than NiB, which is not the best coating in the world, IMO.

So, no, that price differential is not worth it IMO.................if it was DLC or chrome, then maybe so. IMO, good nitriding is better than NiB.

MM

hint? You too? SMH
Settle down, Jeffe, TIC & Saturday morning humor................................ grin

MM
Ok. you are allowed to pass. grin
Everything arrived either yesterday or today. Can't say too much about it yet other than the trigger is fine with me. It weighs 8 pounds with mag, sans ammo. I did opt for high instead of extra high rings and like the way everything lines up. It'll be a bit before I get to shoot it.

Posted By: JPro Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 03/01/22
Is that the EPT trigger? I ordered a couple of 16" railed carbine kits from them the other day with the Nickle-boron 2-stage they also sell, which I hear is a Schmid trigger. I've never had any of their triggers but the standard old mil-spec, and I always swap those out.

Rifle looks like it should work. Let us know how it does.
Is that the EPT trigger? I ordered a couple of 16" railed carbine kits from them the other day with the Nickle-boron 2-stage they also sell, which I hear is a Schmid trigger. I've never had any of their triggers but the standard old mil-spec, and I always swap those out.

Rifle looks like it should work. Let us know how it does.

It's the EPT trigger. It's worth noting that I can suffer an imperfect trigger better than most. It's worlds better than any M-16 I shot or my Ruger AR. No creep or gritiness.
Everything arrived either yesterday or today. Can't say too much about it yet other than the trigger is fine with me. It weighs 8 pounds with mag, sans ammo. I did opt for high instead of extra high rings and like the way everything lines up. It'll be a bit before I get to shoot it.

That scopes sitting too far back for my liking. I'd pull those rings and use a proper cantilever mount.
Hope it works out for you. Looks like a nice setup.

That scopes sitting too far back for my liking. I'd pull those rings and use a proper cantilever mount.

I placed it where it felt best for my natural mount. It's definitely not in a nose to the charging handle position. After you posted this, I went and looked where my other AR scope is positioned. Pretty much exactly the same. Then I googled "scoped AR Rifle" and looked at images. Many are set where mine is and many are further forward.
Looks good. Mine are shooters as well.
Posted By: TWR Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 03/02/22
I know a guy that uses a cantilever mount turned backwards, he says it works for him and that’s all that matters. But he fails to see that because of that, he can’t operate a normal charging handle properly.

If you like it, it’s yours, do what you want. I can’t see your pics but if it has a rail on the hand guard, just move the scope forward and play with it in different positions. If you see it might work better, get a cantilever mount. Do not bridge the rail for shooting.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 03/02/22

+1
In my experience, his scope position is fine if all you ever do is throw the gun up to your face and shoot standing like it's a shotgun. You can probably get away with it shooting off a bench or pogo sticks, I'm not sure, I don't shoot like that enough to know. Maybe BSA can chime in on that. When I do shoot off a bench I give it lots of head pressure.
If you are going to shoot more than a couple shots prone, N-T-CH is mandatory if you don't want a sore neck. The AR really likes to be hugged with a tight sling and lots of head pressure. Love her hard and she'll sing for you.

ETA: There's a reason AMU and everyone else who is a competitive Offhand shooter shoots NTCH. I sure wouldn't be going by pictures of Larry Fugstick.

+1
In my experience, his scope position is fine if all you ever do is throw the gun up to your face and shoot standing like it's a shotgun. You can probably get away with it shooting off a bench or pogo sticks, I'm not sure, I don't shoot like that enough to know. Maybe BSA can chime in on that. When I do shoot off a bench I give it lots of head pressure.
If you are going to shoot more than a couple shots prone, N-T-CH is mandatory if you don't want a sore neck. The AR really likes to be hugged with a tight sling and lots of head pressure. Love her hard and she'll sing for you.

ETA: There's a reason AMU and everyone else who is a competitive Offhand shooter shoots NTCH. I sure wouldn't be going by pictures of Larry Fugstick.

Yep.

That can work in the conditions you described, but if he spend a day with that rig proned out on a prairie dog town those rings would be gone the next morning.
If I remember correctly, he's going to be moving to Chattanooga. For sitting in fence rows and tree lines hunting groundhogs, coyotes, or crows I imagine that scope setup will be just fine.
Paul,

Is the height comfortable? It seems low, if that is a 40MM objective scope the centerline of the scope seems to be about 1" from the top of the rail.

I like my scopes forward, I really crawl up on a gun.

Another item of which I have grown fond is the UBR stocks, mainly because the cheekpiece stays in the same position no matter the length of the stock. It is also extremely solid.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: JPro Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 03/02/22
Looks like the UBR is also not a "beard-grabber". That can't be said for all adjustable stock patterns.
Looks like the UBR is also not a "beard-grabber". That can't be said for all adjustable stock patterns.

You’re not [bleep] there. I need to tape mine cause it’ll rip and tear at mine pretty quick.
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Paul,

Is the height comfortable? It seems low, if that is a 40MM objective scope the centerline of the scope seems to be about 1" from the top of the rail.

I like my scopes forward, I really crawl up on a gun.

Another item of which I have grown fond is the UBR stocks, mainly because the cheekpiece stays in the same position no matter the length of the stock. It is also extremely solid.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

It's a one inch scope on high rings. I like the way that it mounts up. Feels very natural. I am the opposite of you. I tend to stay well back on my scopes rather than crawling them. I feel very uncomfortable with a shortened LOP. I may find that when I go to the bench with it that I want to adjust it.

It's a one inch scope on high rings. I like the way that it mounts up. Feels very natural. I am the opposite of you. I tend to stay well back on my scopes rather than crawling them. I feel very uncomfortable with a shortened LOP. I may find that when I go to the bench with it that I want to adjust it.

Probably going to want it a bit higher and quite a bit further forward for field shooting.

I run a 1/2 inch riser bridging the upper to the handguard and high rings.

You might have a look at where the ocular is in relation to the trigger on your bolt guns as like LOP it all really matters relative to the shooting hand plavement and the trigger.
Paul,
You're getting a lot of good advise from some very good AR shooters. If you spend an afternoon shooting from a variety of field positions, you'll quickly see what they are talking about.
Paul,
You're getting a lot of good advise from some very good AR shooters. If you spend an afternoon shooting from a variety of field positions, you'll quickly see what they are talking about.

The nice thing is it takes less time to yak about it then move it forward and act as well. One of the beauties is you’re zero won’t likely change either while you experiment with it.
I've had no issues without a riser. But I know how to work without one. I think Paul can too.

That said I"ve put risers on all guns except one so far. And while I don't have the scope much further forward some forward makes the other positions in the field easier.

One of those things that seems nice anyway. Mid rings, short riser and you have options,.
Paul,

And that won't be a bad learning experience. I do appreciate all of the advice and information. It has obviously shaped my decision making heavily to this point and will likely continue to do so in the future.

I just realized that I won't be able to use a bipod with my current handguard, unless there's something out there that I am not aware of.
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

Probably going to want it a bit higher and quite a bit further forward for field shooting.

I run a 1/2 inch riser bridging the upper to the handguard and high rings.

You might have a look at where the ocular is in relation to the trigger on your bolt guns as like LOP it all really matters relative to the shooting hand plavement and the trigger.

I am not 100% sure I am tracking John. This is representative of the trigger to ocular relationship on my bolt guns, so it seems as if I am consistent.

Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 03/03/22
I just realized that I won't be able to use a bipod with my current handguard, unless there's something out there that I am not aware of.

No Mlok slots on the bottom of the handguard?

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-...od-black-sku100029335-119659-223127.aspx
Paul, it ain’t a big deal. Enough shooting and you’ll see what works. Takes a minute to move it quickly.

So that's what M-LOK is all about? lol. I certainly don't mind putting my ignorance on parade.
Paul, it ain’t a big deal. Enough shooting and you’ll see what works. Takes a minute to move it quickly.

And you've laid out the path forward if I can't get cozy with the current configuration. Cheap and easy!

I really do appreciate all of the feedback I am getting here. Please don't think I ain't paying attention.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Heavy Barrel/Varmint 223 AR - 03/03/22

So that's what M-LOK is all about? lol. I certainly don't mind putting my ignorance on parade.
Everybody starts out ignorant. It's the one's that don't learn that make for good jokes. laugh

I am not 100% sure I am tracking John. This is representative of the trigger to ocular relationship on my bolt guns, so it seems as if I am consistent.

Use a tape measure to see where the ocular is relative to the trigger.

From just your pictures the ocular on the AR is a full 4 inches behind the trigger.

The bolt guns look closer to 2 inches.

You might be extending the stock on the AR and adding lenght of pull.

Do you know what is your prefered lenght of pull?

Rifle fit is really as important as shotgun fit and a fun disscussion as ARs can be shot very fast when setup to fit the individual.

I know few get whinny when I post videos but here are good examples of fit across platforms and how it helps.

AR-15/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 1/2 inch LOP, sight 2 1/4 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Bolt gun/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 5/8 inch LOP, sight 2 3/8 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Obvioulsy different optics will have different eye relief.

Use a tape measure to see where the ocular is relative to the trigger.

From just your pictures the ocular on the AR is a full 4 inches behind the trigger.

The bolt guns look closer to 2 inches.

You might be extending the stock on the AR and adding lenght of pull.

Do you know what is your prefered lenght of pull?

Rifle fit is really as important as shotgun fit and a fun disscussion as ARs can be shot very fast when setup to fit the individual.

I know few get whinny when I post videos but here are good examples of fit across platforms and how it helps.

AR-15/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 1/2 inch LOP, sight 2 1/4 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Bolt gun/ 4.5-14 VXIII with 13 5/8 inch LOP, sight 2 3/8 inch above comb, and ocular 1.5 inches behind trigger.

Obvioulsy different optics will have different eye relief.

That is badass hitting those clays. I did some measuring. I need to move forward with the scope about an inch. I can move the forward ring forward one more slot and the rear one can come forward two more. I went prone with it, and found myself wanting to move it forward for optimal eye relief. The height felt good, but I'll get a better sense for that after I put it to use. My favored LOP is 13 1/2 or more. I have tried compact stocks and loathe them.

Thanks.

That is badass hitting those clays. I did some measuring. I need to move forward with the scope about an inch. I can move the forward ring forward one more slot and the rear one can come forward two more. I went prone with it, and found myself wanting to move it forward for optimal eye relief. The height felt good, but I'll get a better sense for that after I put it to use. My favored LOP is 13 1/2 or more. I have tried compact stocks and loathe them.

Thanks.

While you are measuring you might want to measure sight over comb.

The bolt action in your pictures have the sight (scope center) quite a bit higher over the comb (Cheek of the stock) than the AR setup you posted.

My opinion is that height of sight over the stock comb should be the same for all platforms.

Thanks.

The bolt action in your pictures have the sight (scope center) quite a bit higher over the comb (Cheek of the stock) than the AR setup you posted.

My opinion is that height of sight over the stock comb should be the same for all platforms.

I ordered a riser extension rail yesterday!

Thanks.

I ordered a riser extension rail yesterday!

Good deal.
I'm looking forward to your range report.
Here's to this rig breaking the Barnard Curse.

Good deal.

One day I'll tell you the story about me, my wife and slot machines. The Barnard curse is real.

Good deal.

One day I'll tell you the story about me, my wife and slot machines. The Barnard curse is real.

Sounds good. If you are ever up this direction let me know. I'll buy you a beer, just don't wear the bike helmet or spandex.
I got the riser rail in. I installed it and moved the scope forward a good bit. Great advice folks. Thanks for helping me put this rifle together. I am not sure when I'll have a chance to shoot it, but I'll let you know how it goes when I do.
Got these put together. Paid a little more for the lower that had the Geissele triggers, pretty nice ttrigger.

16" stainless barrel, standard 5.56 chamber. I wanted the Wylde but they kept getting sold out before I could commit. Christmas in March.

Got these put together. Paid a little more for the lower that had the Geissele triggers, pretty nice ttrigger.

16" stainless barrel, standard 5.56 chamber. I wanted the Wylde but they kept getting sold out before I could commit. Christmas in March.

Let's see them when you get them put together.
© 24hourcampfire