Home
Posted By: PhilinAZ Magpul PMAG - 01/15/12
Has anyone had any issues with the PMAG 30 rounders?

Posted By: coyoteman23 Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/15/12
I bought 3 and just got an email saying they were delivered. I'll let you how they perform.
Posted By: Donner Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
I have about 30 of them, and 5 20 rounders, they all work.
Posted By: gunchamp Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
Cant do much better than the pmags. I've got plenty and have had zero issues. Buy with confidence.
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by PhilinAZ

They need a mod that takes 30seconds to work in Scar 16's. They will NOT work in FN FS2000's.

Other than that they are the best AR pattern mags available IMHO............dj
Posted By: Techsan Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
I have 10 PMAGS and have had no issues running them with my AR.
Posted By: AKJD Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
I've had a few crack. Had one get run over by a truck and worked fine afterwards.
Posted By: 68injunhed Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
P-Mags are good to go.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
Wish they would produce a compact dedicated 10-round P-Mag for states that have magazine restrictions for hunting purposes.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
They are the only mags I use. Never had an issue with the 20 or 30 rounders.

ddj
Posted By: bea175 Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by PhilinAZ

I have never had a issue with any P-Mag. They all work to perfection
Posted By: djpaintless Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
Originally Posted by MOGC
Wish they would produce a compact dedicated 10-round P-Mag for states that have magazine restrictions for hunting purposes.

They do make magazine limiters, 5 rd for 20's and 10rds for 30's

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG280/101

It states it doesn't make them legal for Kalifornia and other Nazi states that won't let you own more than 10rd mags though.

I've seen other blocks listed as being Kalifornia compliant but I'd be a little suspicious with them...................dj
Posted By: MOGC Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
I'm aware of the limiter kits, but a compact 10 round size magazine is very easy to pack slung over the shoulder while humping the hills for predator calling or other hunting. I have some C-Products 10 round mags and they function great but have sharp edges that hang on my pack when carrying the rifle slung. Kinda a pain in the rear and knocking the sharp edge off with a file now exposes bright metal and that means a paint job. Again a pain in the rear which would not be required with a plastic P-Mag of the correct compact length for a 10 round capacity. I have quite a few P-Mag 20's and 30 round magazines and really appreciate their reliability and smooth/rounded edges for easy carrying. A 10 rounder would be perfect for my hunting uses. A guy can wish, can't he? smile
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
The straight, then curved shape of the AR-15 30 rounder has been a problem from the beginning. I met Gene Stoner at an event where he was a keynote speaker and both in his speech and afterward as myself and a few others got to spend some time with him discussing things, he just plain HATED that 30 round magazine�just went on and on.

The first pass at a 30 rounder was a constant curve magazine but it proved to not have enough curve, so they went to the straight then curved design. The PMAG has the straight then curved shape on the outside, but internally it�s a steady curve. While it�s still a bit of a compromise design, the PMAG gets it as close to right as it�s ever likely to get. The PMAG is an excellent magazine. If you intend to use 30 rounders you�re doing yourself a disservice to use anything else.
Posted By: TWR Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/16/12
I like P-mags but have had one or two that cracked, got a few that don't seat as easy as others and some that don't drop free.

I still like them or at least the 20rd P-mags, don't use the 30's much anymore.
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/17/12
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
The straight, then curved shape of the AR-15 30 rounder has been a problem from the beginning. I met Gene Stoner at an event where he was a keynote speaker and both in his speech and afterward as myself and a few others got to spend some time with him discussing things, he just plain HATED that 30 round magazine�just went on and on.

The first pass at a 30 rounder was a constant curve magazine but it proved to not have enough curve, so they went to the straight then curved design. The PMAG has the straight then curved shape on the outside, but internally it�s a steady curve. While it�s still a bit of a compromise design, the PMAG gets it as close to right as it�s ever likely to get. The PMAG is an excellent magazine. If you intend to use 30 rounders you�re doing yourself a disservice to use anything else.

Wow, what an opportunity to meet the man himself and 'talk tech' with him...

Good info above...ya learn something new everyday (or at least you should!!)
Posted By: Flare Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/19/12
I've had no problem with mine, I have almost 10 of them. Worked great in several rifles
Corey
Posted By: Bitman Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/19/12
Originally Posted by MOGC
I'm aware of the limiter kits, but a compact 10 round size magazine is very easy to pack slung over the shoulder while humping the hills for predator calling or other hunting. I have some C-Products 10 round mags and they function great but have sharp edges that hang on my pack when carrying the rifle slung. Kinda a pain in the rear and knocking the sharp edge off with a file now exposes bright metal and that means a paint job. Again a pain in the rear which would not be required with a plastic P-Mag of the correct compact length for a 10 round capacity. I have quite a few P-Mag 20's and 30 round magazines and really appreciate their reliability and smooth/rounded edges for easy carrying. A 10 rounder would be perfect for my hunting uses. A guy can wish, can't he? smile

You might want to check out this post.
Shows how to cut a 20 round down to 10.
http://www.predatormastersforums.co...b=showflat&Number=2117933&page=1
Posted By: MOGC Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/20/12
Yep, I caught that and am going to work on my own now.
Posted By: okok Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/20/12
The best i've used.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/20/12
Originally Posted by hunt_ak
Originally Posted by KevinGibson

Wow, what an opportunity to meet the man himself and 'talk tech' with him...

Good info above...ya learn something new everyday (or at least you should!!)

Yeah, I felt like a teenage girl meeting the Beatles. I was in my early 20�s when I met him, and although I knew my stuff, I didn�t know a fraction of what I know now. I did get in some good questions, and he answered several of my questions before I even asked them. There�s so much I�d like to ask now, but sadly he has departed. Some things I really remember was his disgust with the 30 round magazine, disgust with the Army in general and their complete lack of competence in anything and everything related to the M16. He felt people should have gone to jail over the fiasco with the first issued M16�s and the bad ammo. He spoke of the arrogance of the Army just �knowing better� than this half assed engineer who invented the thing. I asked him if he was working on anything else in the firearms world and he said he was, but he couldn�t talk about it. I found out about 2 years later it was the ACR (Advanced Combat Rifle) that he was working on, and predictably his design was pure genius. Although his design was eliminated very early on, I did notice that the Steyr ACR was functionally damn near identical.

At the time I saw Stoner�s presentation, I wasn�t aware that he had designed the 25mm Bushmaster gun that we see on the M2 Bradley�s. He also spoke of the AR-16 & AR-18 designs which I was all ears because at the time I was present for the presentation, I had a Howa made AR-180 in my closet at home and I absolutely LOVED that rifle (Love to have another one). The most interesting thing was Stoner�s presentation on the M63 weapon system, something that was WAY ahead of its time and the small arms industry is just now getting around to recognizing the concept (but still not quite the whole concept). Had the US military continued development of the M63 system, we would have a BAD ARSED weapon system today�a missed opportunity.

Stoner made mention of Melvin Johnson (the inventor of the Johnson 1941 rifle and LMG) and talked about the genius of his inventions. Stoner was quick to give props to Johnson as an innovator and Stoner sought to emulate Johnson�s visionary approach to weapons design. The bolt and recoil system of the Johnson LMG can be found in the AR-10/AR-15 designs.

I could go on and on, it was such a great opportunity to meet and talk with him.
Posted By: hunt_ak Re: Magpul PMAG - 01/20/12
Very cool, Kevin. Thanks for sharing...
© 24hourcampfire