Home
Posted By: acy Palmetto State Armory? - 10/19/12
Looking at, among others, A PSA PA-15CR. Looks pretty sharp. Appears to be all mil-spec. Great price. Is there something wrong that I'm missing? Any problems with PSA? Thanks, Al
Posted By: Boococky Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/19/12
Heard nothing but good things about em
Posted By: iambrb Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/19/12
They are a hi-quality buncha folks. About 90 miles from the hacienda, and have an outstanding rep locally too.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/19/12
I've heard nothing but good about them.
Have a sneaking suspicion that their lowers are made by a well known mil contractor in Columbia.

Pete
Barrels made by FN to highest spec. Lowers (I have one and .it's nice) and upper receivers made by Aero Precision. Everybody who has one of their rifles seems to love it.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/20/12
No complaints with mine. Nothing fancy, but nothing bad, either.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/20/12
They use good quality parts and have good customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to own something from them.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/20/12
I cant wait to find out too, mine will be here next week.

Gunner
Posted By: wyowags1 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/23/12
I'm assembling my first AR. Just picked up a PSA lower, lower parts kit and ordered one of their barreled uppers too. Their prices are good and from everything I've researched (a lot),people seem to be very pleased with them. I'm kinda pumped to get it all together and give it try at the range!
Posted By: amax155 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/24/12
My BIL has one and it is nice and is at least comparable to my RRA. Mine does have a better trigger but cost more.
Posted By: JoeHarley13 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/26/12
I've been buying parts, ammo, and uppers from Palmetto State Armory for a year or so.

I have two complaints.
1) Simple orders, some parts & ammo, can take up to a week or two to just ship.
2) Uppers and rifles can take 30 - 45 days. I've got an upper on order since 10/4/2012 and I still don't know when it is going to ship.

If you don't mind waiting for a month or so, then they aren't half bad, especially for the price. I have read about some people having some assembly issues on their uppers. Canted sights, mis-aligned feed ramps, etc. In all cases, PSA fixed them for them without issue. Just seems like they are too focused on selling, and not staffed up to build the product, and get it out in a reasonable (14 days) time frame.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/26/12
Evident that you were not around through other crisis times for ARs and parts. Some would consider themselves lucky this close to an election htat coudl be a disaster, to even get parts, if it takes a month to ship.

Should have played the primer scare some years ago too.. or the brass shortage on 223 stuff many years ago.

It isn't great, but it is what it is.

FWIW don't ever try to order a custom rifle barrel, I've had some that have taken close to 12 months to get... but they shoot better that 99% of the others out there....
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 10/26/12
I've read some complaints on another site about having probs getting hold of their CS folks.

That said, a guy on another site is running one of their uppers, I believe it is, and has been running it hard and it's truckin' right along with no probs.

That deal they have with the rifle and Vortez red dot seems pretty good for $850. I've been studying up on AR's pretty hard and am leaning towards a Smith 15 OR or a Colt LE6920. I looked at a Troy at Dick's yesterday, but that stock is just too ugly for me, as serviceable as it might be.
Posted By: ALLongshot Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/02/12
I love the PSA Mid-Length upper I have. I opted for the 12" YHM FF Rail with low profile gas tube and it looks great and shoots even better. I ordered mine on June 22 and it shipped to me on July 2. I expected to wait about 4 weeks. If your just ordering one of thier standard builds it really shouldnt take that long to get it. Spike's, BCM, and Noveske are running about 3 Months on thier orders right now so a month really aint that bad.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/03/12
Got my new PSA 16" carbine w/7 twist barrel today, it's gonna be a runner, put 100 rounds of Federal's XM556FBIT3 load through it today featuring the 62 gr TBBC bullet.

The Mag-Pul flip ups were spot on with this load at 25 yards, the Mag-Pul 30 round mag and 100 round drum functioned flawless without the first hint of a hiccup.

This little carbine is very svelte and light, a perfect SD weapon for homeowners, the 7 twist should stabilize the 75 gr Hornady A-Maxes for those so inclined as well.

I think for $814 shipped, it is money well spent, and a major bang for the buck.

Will do more testing with the Trij. ACOG and NF 2.5-10X24 later on.

SFSG, I like the little rifle.

Gunner
Posted By: TWR Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/03/12
Good to hear, now find some cheaper ammo and run some more.

BTW, where in okie land are you? I'm in Ada.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/03/12
Agreed, but a Bud gave me 5 cases of the ammo, had to try it out in the new shooter.

My farm is in SE Okla. in Leflore county.

Gunner
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/04/12
Fired some handloads with the 55 gr TSX's powered by CFE-223 powder, they went 3069 fps in the 16" barreled carbine, thinking these loads will out perform the XM556FBIT3's at only 2850 fps.

Gunner
Posted By: EdM Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/09/12
Just ordered one of their 7 twist 16" M4 Carbines they have on sale for $720 shipped. Should be waiting at my dealer when I get home in a month. Was looking for a basic open sighted carbine as a second to my DD mid-length scoped rig. Can't wait to give it a run. Nice to read yours is shooting well. Damn tempted to buy one for each of my three son's while I can...
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/10/12
I guess I see things differently. I would save another $400 and buy a colt.
Posted By: EdM Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/10/12
Already have a Daniel Defense, don't need a Colt.
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I guess I see things differently. I would save another $400 and buy a colt.

keep worshipping at the mighty mil spec alter.
Posted By: TWR Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/10/12
You know I went to a gun show today and the one thing that stood out was dpms, cmmg, spikes, frontier plastic something or other and other various cheesy looking lowers and complete guns. People were pouring over them trying to buy before the ban and the most common thing said was basicly "these are just as good as the Colt 6920" (that was $1129) and these others were $800-1000.

You guys buy into the "just as good as" if it makes you feel better. Just don't listen to the guy who stuck a MOE stock, grip and magazine on a dpms sportical and had it priced at $1000.
ask yourself why is the colt $1120?? mil spec costs money in additional testing, but it also means the gun isn't BETTER than mil spec its only just as good as mil spec. what many fail to see is what if the features are better than mil spec, for instance the mil spec stocks are built for an elf way too short, but a commercial stock is longer, its not mil spec though. a chrome bolt isn't mil spec, but RRA offers it, its easier to clean among other things. mil spec triggers suck, how about something better. RRA 2 stage, not mil spec. the point is decide the features you want and don't be hung up on a brand as long as its reputable.
Posted By: TWR Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/11/12
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
ask yourself why is the colt $1120?? mil spec costs money in additional testing, but it also means the gun isn't BETTER than mil spec its only just as good as mil spec. what many fail to see is what if the features are better than mil spec, for instance the mil spec stocks are built for an elf way too short, but a commercial stock is longer, its not mil spec though. a chrome bolt isn't mil spec, but RRA offers it, its easier to clean among other things. mil spec triggers suck, how about something better. RRA 2 stage, not mil spec. the point is decide the features you want and don't be hung up on a brand as long as its reputable.

Commercial guns don't even meet the minimum mil spec.

Pull down your chicken wing, square up and see if you still run one all the way out. And they're only at best 3/8" longer. I'm 6' 225# and wear a 35" sleeve, I run my SOPMODs on position 3.

Chrome bolts were found to be trouble due to embrittlement and ditched a long time ago. But they do sell to the uninformed.

Stock triggers are meant to be robust for work not targets. Given 500 rounds most will be very serviceable. RR has a weak link and are far from great out of the box.

The problem is cheap guns sell quick and are all over the tables. No one wants to admit their bargain gun doesn't work exactly right and worse, most who buy them won't fire enough rounds to find out.

Buy what you want but be an informed purchaser.
Posted By: EdM Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/11/12
Always amazed that folks have a view on how I spend my money. Silly [bleep] abound it appears.
Could care less how you spend your money and have said many times, buy what makes you happy to many here.

Everyone has an opinion and jimmyp simply stated his. I actually countered cumminscowboy to keep the record straight.

So GFY.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/12/12
"Mil-Spec is just a minimum requirement"...so if your gun doesn't meet it, what does that say?
Posted By: Skivvy Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/20/12
How many will use their AR the way the military does?? A tool fit for a job, not a bunch of money spent on something that will never be fully run through it's courses.. unless you're into that.

If I see a guy do some simple shooting from a bench or some walk-in hunting.. they don't need milspec. But they may have it.

Buy whatever you want. To me it's like GAP insurance. The few that will use it think it's worth every penny.

Justin

P.S. I buy MILSPSC, but don't assume everyone needs it. "The tool should fit the job."
Posted By: 68injunhed Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/23/12
PSA's are solid rifles. Love my middy.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/23/12
Re: "Mil-Spec"

Lotsa folks are paying the same, or more, for less. Which is the real kicker about quality ARs these days. They're all priced the same, but not all built the same.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/24/12
When it comes to black rifles there are a lot of folks that "know more than I do" so they with their knowledge base and logic find quality rifles from many manufacturers that I simply in many cases have never heard of before as I am ignorant. I guess I prefer to stay ignorant and have all my rifles go bang all the time.
Posted By: UncleJake Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
Not to flame anyone, but how much milspec does it take?

According to their ad, both the barrel and the upper are milspec, and it does seem like a relatively good price.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...sa-16-m4-premium-black-friday-upper.html

Now, I don't own this particular upper, but I do own another of theirs, and it works just fine so far (not thousands of rounds through it like other peoples). And to caveat my rifle, it is a plinker primarily for the kids with the possibility of some hunting. It is not a self defense, EOTHWAWKI rifle.
The funny thing with PSA, is that some of their sale prices today are HIGHER than their normal prices 6+ months ago....
Posted By: clark98ut Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by UncleJake
The funny thing with PSA, is that some of their sale prices today are HIGHER than their normal prices 6+ months ago....

Yep, last year about this time I bought several lowers from them for $49.99. Now their blemished lowers are selling for $69.99.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
mil-spec these days is about a joke. the only differents you will see in mil-spec and commercial is in stocks. tubes are different diameter.

i don't see where most ar's cost the same either. i can build one cheap for 475.00 or i can spent 1500.00 or more and really not gain much.lots of 700-800 guns out there that are real dependable and accurate
Posted By: TWR Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by srwshooter
mil-spec these days is about a joke. the only differents you will see in mil-spec and commercial is in stocks. tubes are different diameter.

i don't see where most ar's cost the same either. i can build one cheap for 475.00 or i can spent 1500.00 or more and really not gain much.lots of 700-800 guns out there that are real dependable and accurate

Guys like Pat Rogers who put over 15,000 rounds through them without cleaning, would probably disagree with you. It all depends on how you use them and what you expect. For instance my $450 Krieger barrel will show you plenty of difference in a $475 mutt gun. Or even a $7-800 gun for that matter.

Posted By: jimmyp Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
lots of casual shooters get real fun out of hobby guns, but there is a difference.
And that is why I am really tempted to sell my PSA in @ 12 months and triple my money.....
Posted By: Hound_va Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by srwshooter

I guess you overlooked the material differences of 7075T6 vs 6061T6, not to mention how they are threaded?
what ever blows wind up your skirt.
Posted By: BMT Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/25/12
Originally Posted by Boococky
Heard nothing but good things about em

Same here.
I am not a hater! I say get what you want and be happy with it.
Posted By: 68injunhed Re: Palmetto State Armory? - 11/26/12
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Originally Posted by UncleJake

Yep, last year about this time I bought several lowers from them for $49.99. Now their blemished lowers are selling for $69.99.

They had a few sales last year with the $50 lowers, normal price was $80.
© 24hourcampfire