Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Already have a Daniel Defense, don't need a Colt.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I guess I see things differently. I would save another $400 and buy a colt.

keep worshipping at the mighty mil spec alter.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
You know I went to a gun show today and the one thing that stood out was dpms, cmmg, spikes, frontier plastic something or other and other various cheesy looking lowers and complete guns. People were pouring over them trying to buy before the ban and the most common thing said was basicly "these are just as good as the Colt 6920" (that was $1129) and these others were $800-1000.

You guys buy into the "just as good as" if it makes you feel better. Just don't listen to the guy who stuck a MOE stock, grip and magazine on a dpms sportical and had it priced at $1000.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ask yourself why is the colt $1120?? mil spec costs money in additional testing, but it also means the gun isn't BETTER than mil spec its only just as good as mil spec. what many fail to see is what if the features are better than mil spec, for instance the mil spec stocks are built for an elf way too short, but a commercial stock is longer, its not mil spec though. a chrome bolt isn't mil spec, but RRA offers it, its easier to clean among other things. mil spec triggers suck, how about something better. RRA 2 stage, not mil spec. the point is decide the features you want and don't be hung up on a brand as long as its reputable.

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
ask yourself why is the colt $1120?? mil spec costs money in additional testing, but it also means the gun isn't BETTER than mil spec its only just as good as mil spec. what many fail to see is what if the features are better than mil spec, for instance the mil spec stocks are built for an elf way too short, but a commercial stock is longer, its not mil spec though. a chrome bolt isn't mil spec, but RRA offers it, its easier to clean among other things. mil spec triggers suck, how about something better. RRA 2 stage, not mil spec. the point is decide the features you want and don't be hung up on a brand as long as its reputable.

Commercial guns don't even meet the minimum mil spec.

Pull down your chicken wing, square up and see if you still run one all the way out. And they're only at best 3/8" longer. I'm 6' 225# and wear a 35" sleeve, I run my SOPMODs on position 3.

Chrome bolts were found to be trouble due to embrittlement and ditched a long time ago. But they do sell to the uninformed.

Stock triggers are meant to be robust for work not targets. Given 500 rounds most will be very serviceable. RR has a weak link and are far from great out of the box.

IC B2

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The problem is cheap guns sell quick and are all over the tables. No one wants to admit their bargain gun doesn't work exactly right and worse, most who buy them won't fire enough rounds to find out.

Buy what you want but be an informed purchaser.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Always amazed that folks have a view on how I spend my money. Silly [bleep] abound it appears.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Could care less how you spend your money and have said many times, buy what makes you happy to many here.

Everyone has an opinion and jimmyp simply stated his. I actually countered cumminscowboy to keep the record straight.

So GFY.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Mil-Spec is just a minimum requirement"...so if your gun doesn't meet it, what does that say?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How many will use their AR the way the military does?? A tool fit for a job, not a bunch of money spent on something that will never be fully run through it's courses.. unless you're into that.

If I see a guy do some simple shooting from a bench or some walk-in hunting.. they don't need milspec. But they may have it.

Buy whatever you want. To me it's like GAP insurance. The few that will use it think it's worth every penny.

Justin

P.S. I buy MILSPSC, but don't assume everyone needs it. "The tool should fit the job."

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though oftentimes better than master of one" -Geffray Mynshul
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PSA's are solid rifles. Love my middy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Re: "Mil-Spec"

Lotsa folks are paying the same, or more, for less. Which is the real kicker about quality ARs these days. They're all priced the same, but not all built the same.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
When it comes to black rifles there are a lot of folks that "know more than I do" so they with their knowledge base and logic find quality rifles from many manufacturers that I simply in many cases have never heard of before as I am ignorant. I guess I prefer to stay ignorant and have all my rifles go bang all the time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to flame anyone, but how much milspec does it take?

According to their ad, both the barrel and the upper are milspec, and it does seem like a relatively good price.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...sa-16-m4-premium-black-friday-upper.html

Now, I don't own this particular upper, but I do own another of theirs, and it works just fine so far (not thousands of rounds through it like other peoples). And to caveat my rifle, it is a plinker primarily for the kids with the possibility of some hunting. It is not a self defense, EOTHWAWKI rifle.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The funny thing with PSA, is that some of their sale prices today are HIGHER than their normal prices 6+ months ago....

Last edited by UncleJake; 11/25/12.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by UncleJake
The funny thing with PSA, is that some of their sale prices today are HIGHER than their normal prices 6+ months ago....

Yep, last year about this time I bought several lowers from them for $49.99. Now their blemished lowers are selling for $69.99.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
mil-spec these days is about a joke. the only differents you will see in mil-spec and commercial is in stocks. tubes are different diameter.

i don't see where most ar's cost the same either. i can build one cheap for 475.00 or i can spent 1500.00 or more and really not gain much.lots of 700-800 guns out there that are real dependable and accurate

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by srwshooter
mil-spec these days is about a joke. the only differents you will see in mil-spec and commercial is in stocks. tubes are different diameter.

i don't see where most ar's cost the same either. i can build one cheap for 475.00 or i can spent 1500.00 or more and really not gain much.lots of 700-800 guns out there that are real dependable and accurate

Guys like Pat Rogers who put over 15,000 rounds through them without cleaning, would probably disagree with you. It all depends on how you use them and what you expect. For instance my $450 Krieger barrel will show you plenty of difference in a $475 mutt gun. Or even a $7-800 gun for that matter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
lots of casual shooters get real fun out of hobby guns, but there is a difference.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And that is why I am really tempted to sell my PSA in @ 12 months and triple my money.....

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (222Sako, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 204guy, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,600
Posts18,492,235
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.