Home
Posted By: Tarkio Scope Mounting on AR platform - 11/29/12
I own a few ARs in various calibers and am curious to know what you guys have found is the best height for mounting a scope?

A couple scopes I've mounted with Larue mounts, others with 2 piece standard-height Leupold and I think I have 1 mounted with a 1-piece Leupold.

I am also interested in getting a better stock with a raised cheek for a better consistent weld. Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

I have settled on ADM mounts. I like how they grip the rail, adjust, and lock compared to the LaRue and Bobro. They are lightweight, durable, and the perfect height for a standard AR stock and still leave you room to put a rear folding iron sight. I have tried most mounting systems for the AR and for the money ADM has been my favorite.

Here is one holding my Nightforce 2.5-10 on my 18" AR

[Linked Image]
IMG_0228 by mathecb, on Flickr
I like the LaRue, good off on repeatability.
Posted By: TWR Re: Scope Mounting on AR platform - 11/29/12
I use LaRue but haven't used the ADM mount, it looks like the same setup with a different attachment system.

As for the stock, I use SOPMOD stocks. I used to get em from LMT but now B5 systems has the govt contract and G and R tactical sells them for $95. They don't have a raised cheek piece but it angles out for a solid cheek weld and is the perfect height for me.
[Linked Image]
I've run ADM and LaRue. Both great mounts, but my personal favorite is Bobro simply because I like the on/off detachment mechanism better.

My Knight's SR15 E3 LPR w/ Bobro mount
[Linked Image]

For stocks you can look at the Magpul PRS. It has both an adjustable comb and LOP. Only problem is they run about $200 new. However if you check out the classifieds on some of the AR specific forums you can usually find a used one in new/excellent condition for around $150 - $175 shipped.
LaRue is the best if you don't mine spending the money for them
For a cheek weld I run this.

[Linked Image]
I do just fine with the inexpensive but rock solid Burris PEPR mount, unlike some far more expensive and highly touted mounts that were a complete POS.
+1 on the Burris.
+2 on Burris PEPR. Can be found as low as $69.
Posted By: TWR Re: Scope Mounting on AR platform - 11/30/12
I did okay with a b-square mount when that was all that was available but better options are out there.

Would be curious to know the particulars as to how highly touted mounts were a POS.
I am not a fan of any of the cantilever mounts that are so popular.

If you run a free float tube with a top rail then span the upper and rail with a good riser and use good rings for a much more solid mounting setup.

Cantilever bases will bend and don�t offer the optic much support due to close ring spacing.

I find 2.8 inches above bore line to be optimal for serious speed and precision and have no use for any of the raised cheek pieces. A MagPul CTR stock gives me the best cheek contact when using the carbine extension.
[Linked Image]
I really like the Rock River Scout mount. It allows putting the scope forward enough to get ahold of the operation lever. You use regular Weaver/Tactical rings, which means you can alter the height specifically for your eye.
John after the rail flex tests that were done a few years ago, I won't span anything onto the rail. Though a good riser like you're using would help.

I'm not particualrly gentle with my guns and have never bent a LaRue mount. I have bent a scope though. I also like the QD mounts and practice with irons pretty often. Best part is we have lot's of great choices now, I can remember when B-square and A.R.M.S. #5(?) were the only options.
Originally Posted by TWR
John after the rail flex tests that were done a few years ago, I won't span anything onto the rail. Though a good riser like you're using would help.

I'm not particualrly gentle with my guns and have never bent a LaRue mount. I have bent a scope though. I also like the QD mounts and practice with irons pretty often. Best part is we have lot's of great choices now, I can remember when B-square and A.R.M.S. #5(?) were the only options.

My OPONION is to span the upper rail. That setup has proven to be the most stable under hard use in my testing.

The Cantilevers will bend under impact just like a scope tube will without the rings spaced to offer the most support.

Simply put there is no way a Cantilever mount can support the optic as well as a full blown mounting system. If your float tube is not stable then that is a different issue and needs to be addressed.

Lots of float tubes are stable and the fact that a very large percentage of our SOF troops rely on DBALs mounted on the tube in combat shows that it is very possible to have the tube remain stable. Add a riser that bridges the upper/ tube interface and you have a very stable optics mounting platform.
Originally Posted by TWR
I did okay with a b-square mount when that was all that was available but better options are out there.

Would be curious to know the particulars as to how highly touted mounts were a POS.

One highly touted mount, an Ad Recon. It REFUSED to hold zero no matter where it was positioned, how tighly it was torqued down, etc. I even tried in on two different rifles. For the $ spent, I was -- and still am -- quite pizzed off. Switched the scope to a PEPR and haven't had any issues whatsoever.
Originally Posted by TWR

TWR, John's recipe is nearly the same as the original SPR built by, IIRC, PRI. I never heard any complaints about those guns, though they came into existence after I retired, I still run into a lot of guys who've used 'em hard.
High mount is the only one that's correct.

Magpul PRS.
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I do just fine with the inexpensive but rock solid Burris PEPR mount, unlike some far more expensive and highly touted mounts that were a complete POS.

I use the RRA Hi-Rise Cantilever Scope Mount, a very similar design, without issue.
The tests I referred to hung weight off the end of the rails, it took very little weight to cause flex. Shooting off sticks or bi-pods and applying a little pressure will move any rail, moving POI.

My OPINION is to keep my scope mount off the free float rail. Not knocking the way anyone else does it just offering food for thought.
Yes TAK, the original SPR used a heavy ARMS riser similar to what John is using but it ran the full length of the upper. I also noted a riser would help but they also moved away from that setup.
I know that TWR and TAK know what they are talking about since I have taken their advice on several items and they were correct. It appears from looking at the LaRue mount that the mount would be kinda weak with the distance from the front ring to the attachment base only being support by the thin piece of metal. I use the Burris because I just can't see spending that much for a mount and I don't jump out of helicopters. The one thing that I don't like about the Burris is that the ring spacing is a little close @ 2.15" between the rings but if your using a compact scope then they are just right. I also have a couple of the Armalite mounts and they are rock solid with the ring spacing at 3.25" but these have the attachment device on the right side and I prefer them to be on the left side.
I run the Burris PEPR as well. My Grendel and SP1 have A-2 Stocks. The 16 inch has a Sopmod. The one I am building for my son's Christmas gift will have a SOTA SS 16" upper with a standard Armalite Carbine Stock.

I recommend that you commit to Mil Spec or Commercial Diameter from the beginning so that you can move stocks around if you want to.

I have found the PEPR's to return to zero if you mess with them.
Here you go a great Leepers scope mount at $13.00! Then as an added benefit tts not that mil spec crap either!

http://www.airsoftstation.com/py-a-1826.html

That was mean;)

Like I said, we have lots of good choices these days.
I like the 30mm Armalite QD's, does a fine job with my 2.5-10x24 NF scope.

Gunner
What would be bad about using that on a genuine AR?

Looks good from here.
for $13.00 maybe try one and let us know!
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215

Looks good from here.

You're probably about as close as you can get to one and it still look good.
Originally Posted by TWR
That was mean;)

Like I said, we have lots of good choices these days.

Funny part.. years ago I took a 10 buck mount for a carry handle, released the carry handel with wax or such... rough up mount... Steel bed... used it for years testing ammo on A2 uppers wihtout detach handles... fugly as it were, it showed 2-3 inch and less 10 shot groups at 600 yards often when the ammo was right...

It ain't always about cost...
again I hope someone buys it and tries it!
Posted By: TWR Re: Scope Mounting on AR platform - 12/06/12
It ain't about cost, it's about what works.

Jeff that old mount was a decent mount and you took the time to bed it. It's only job was to hold the scope and although it worked, it was less than ideal. Besides, that was 30 years ago and that same mount would cost $100 today. wink
Yep on todays cost.

Its that dilemma all the time, do I have the time to make something work or do I have the money to buy something that works. Though in the day there were not that many options.

You don't have many ideal options when mounting to a carry handle... funniest part it was dang repeatable but only fit one handle....

Later on I ended up with a dedicated upper, put every new barrel on that one, and tested ammo till I was happy, and then put on the actual gun.
© 24hourcampfire