Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tarkio Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I own a few ARs in various calibers and am curious to know what you guys have found is the best height for mounting a scope?

A couple scopes I've mounted with Larue mounts, others with 2 piece standard-height Leupold and I think I have 1 mounted with a 1-piece Leupold.

I am also interested in getting a better stock with a raised cheek for a better consistent weld. Any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Last edited by Tarkio; 11/29/12.

Montana MOFO
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have settled on ADM mounts. I like how they grip the rail, adjust, and lock compared to the LaRue and Bobro. They are lightweight, durable, and the perfect height for a standard AR stock and still leave you room to put a rear folding iron sight. I have tried most mounting systems for the AR and for the money ADM has been my favorite.

Here is one holding my Nightforce 2.5-10 on my 18" AR

[Linked Image]
IMG_0228 by mathecb, on Flickr

Last edited by CBMJR; 11/29/12.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like the LaRue, good off on repeatability.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I use LaRue but haven't used the ADM mount, it looks like the same setup with a different attachment system.

As for the stock, I use SOPMOD stocks. I used to get em from LMT but now B5 systems has the govt contract and G and R tactical sells them for $95. They don't have a raised cheek piece but it angles out for a solid cheek weld and is the perfect height for me.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've run ADM and LaRue. Both great mounts, but my personal favorite is Bobro simply because I like the on/off detachment mechanism better.

My Knight's SR15 E3 LPR w/ Bobro mount
[Linked Image]

For stocks you can look at the Magpul PRS. It has both an adjustable comb and LOP. Only problem is they run about $200 new. However if you check out the classifieds on some of the AR specific forums you can usually find a used one in new/excellent condition for around $150 - $175 shipped.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 11/29/12.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LaRue is the best if you don't mine spending the money for them

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
For a cheek weld I run this.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I do just fine with the inexpensive but rock solid Burris PEPR mount, unlike some far more expensive and highly touted mounts that were a complete POS.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+1 on the Burris.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+2 on Burris PEPR. Can be found as low as $69.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I did okay with a b-square mount when that was all that was available but better options are out there.

Would be curious to know the particulars as to how highly touted mounts were a POS.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not a fan of any of the cantilever mounts that are so popular.

If you run a free float tube with a top rail then span the upper and rail with a good riser and use good rings for a much more solid mounting setup.

Cantilever bases will bend and don�t offer the optic much support due to close ring spacing.

I find 2.8 inches above bore line to be optimal for serious speed and precision and have no use for any of the raised cheek pieces. A MagPul CTR stock gives me the best cheek contact when using the carbine extension.
[Linked Image]

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I really like the Rock River Scout mount. It allows putting the scope forward enough to get ahold of the operation lever. You use regular Weaver/Tactical rings, which means you can alter the height specifically for your eye.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
John after the rail flex tests that were done a few years ago, I won't span anything onto the rail. Though a good riser like you're using would help.

I'm not particualrly gentle with my guns and have never bent a LaRue mount. I have bent a scope though. I also like the QD mounts and practice with irons pretty often. Best part is we have lot's of great choices now, I can remember when B-square and A.R.M.S. #5(?) were the only options.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
John after the rail flex tests that were done a few years ago, I won't span anything onto the rail. Though a good riser like you're using would help.

I'm not particualrly gentle with my guns and have never bent a LaRue mount. I have bent a scope though. I also like the QD mounts and practice with irons pretty often. Best part is we have lot's of great choices now, I can remember when B-square and A.R.M.S. #5(?) were the only options.

My OPONION is to span the upper rail. That setup has proven to be the most stable under hard use in my testing.

The Cantilevers will bend under impact just like a scope tube will without the rings spaced to offer the most support.

Simply put there is no way a Cantilever mount can support the optic as well as a full blown mounting system. If your float tube is not stable then that is a different issue and needs to be addressed.

Lots of float tubes are stable and the fact that a very large percentage of our SOF troops rely on DBALs mounted on the tube in combat shows that it is very possible to have the tube remain stable. Add a riser that bridges the upper/ tube interface and you have a very stable optics mounting platform.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by TWR
I did okay with a b-square mount when that was all that was available but better options are out there.

Would be curious to know the particulars as to how highly touted mounts were a POS.

One highly touted mount, an Ad Recon. It REFUSED to hold zero no matter where it was positioned, how tighly it was torqued down, etc. I even tried in on two different rifles. For the $ spent, I was -- and still am -- quite pizzed off. Switched the scope to a PEPR and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TWR

TWR, John's recipe is nearly the same as the original SPR built by, IIRC, PRI. I never heard any complaints about those guns, though they came into existence after I retired, I still run into a lot of guys who've used 'em hard.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 11/30/12. Reason: spellin'
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
High mount is the only one that's correct.

Magpul PRS.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I do just fine with the inexpensive but rock solid Burris PEPR mount, unlike some far more expensive and highly touted mounts that were a complete POS.

I use the RRA Hi-Rise Cantilever Scope Mount, a very similar design, without issue.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The tests I referred to hung weight off the end of the rails, it took very little weight to cause flex. Shooting off sticks or bi-pods and applying a little pressure will move any rail, moving POI.

My OPINION is to keep my scope mount off the free float rail. Not knocking the way anyone else does it just offering food for thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 160user, 22250rem, 46 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,709
Posts18,475,378
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.