Home
I bought a billet upper and lower receiver and was intending on building this gun with a 20" pencil barrel an M16 stock and triangle handguards, or perhaps even an M2 style handguard.

Several people told me this wouldn't look right. If you have a picture of anything similar, I would like to see it for myself.
Posted By: TWR Re: I would like to see a picture - 10/30/13
To me, no it wouldn't look right. Billet has to be built bigger and most look blocky. A better fit would be a heavier free floated match barrel.

But if that's what you want then have at it. Build what you want.
Heavy lower and light barrel seems reversed of what you'd want.
Thanks guys! I'd still like to see a picture of something similar if it's ever been done.
Greg - probably not any/many deliberately assembled this way, the pencil barrel and triangle handguards would be used on a retro SP-1/M-16 build for a period look.

Not saying you're wrong to build that way, but you may get a finished project looking closer to a Caddy with 22 inch rims...just sayin.
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Greg - probably not any/many deliberately assembled this way, the pencil barrel and triangle handguards would be used on a retro SP-1/M-16 build for a period look.

Not saying you're wrong to build that way, but you may get a finished project looking closer to a Caddy with 22 inch rims...just sayin.

That's what I was sort of afraid of.
What does looks have to do with it? Are you just going for a certain look just for fun?

If function is your concern, don't worry about looks.
Build it and if it doesn't look right then rebarrel with a heavier barrel and sell the pencil barrel.
I made a mock up of one on the AR15.com virtual builder. They didn't have the triangle handguards, but I thought it looked great with an A2 handguard and stock. I bought the CMT billet upper and lower.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Thanks for your insight on this guys. I took your advice and went another direction with it. I think I'm happier with this than what I was contemplating. It seems like it's going to shoot good!
looks nice!
Please tell us about the barrel you selected??
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Please tell us about the barrel you selected??

It's a 20" Yankee Hill fluted midweight 9-1 twist chrome lined barrel.

I've only fired it once since mounting the scope, and with heavy and variable winds, I was getting consistent 1" 100 yard groups with handloaded cheap bulk 55 grain FMJ bullets.

I wonder what will happen when you hand load some REAL bullets...like some smk's???
Posted By: TC1 Re: I would like to see a picture - 12/25/13
I'm a big fan of 20" guns. I like it.
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I wonder what will happen when you hand load some REAL bullets...like some smk's???

Right now I have a box of Sierrra 55 grain BTSP's, and a box of 60 grain Sierra HP's, in addition to a bunch of the Hornady FMJ's, and 55 gr SP's.

I'm going to try and tune a load to the rifle. Do you think either of the Sierra bullets would be worth trying, or should I start with Match bullets?
It's windy here, but here's a 5 shot group with 60 grain Sierra HPs, and 25 grains of WW748. 100 yards, it measures .750" center to center. I'm happy with it so far.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TC1 Re: I would like to see a picture - 12/25/13
Nice group. I really like your rifle. It looks well thought out.
© 24hourcampfire