Home
Posted By: barnabus AR Trigger Job? - 08/23/15
There used to be a guy on here that did trigger jobs on ARs. Anybody know who that is and if he is still doing them? Thanks
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/23/15
RRA has match triggers on sale for $ 70 or so, a trigger job is not the best idea.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/23/15
Change out the springs or buy an aftermarket rig
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/23/15
NO. Do NOT let someone do a trigger job on your AR.

Either buy RRA or other or swap springs but polishing and adjusting standard trigger you WILL REGRET.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/23/15
Originally Posted by jimmyp
RRA has match triggers on sale for $ 70 or so, a trigger job is not the best idea.

^^^This^^^
I just built a new AR and used Tridents new 4# tactical trigger....Cost 75 bucks from Primary Arms. This is one sweet trigger!!!!!Feels just as good as my sons POF drop in for less than half the cost.
Posted By: DwnRange Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/24/15
Sargenthome.com

This trigger mod is older than Methuselah and is an expedient way to upgrade your trigger, despite what the experts say above.

I use RRA NM 2-stage triggers in my ARs, (never paid no $70 or whatever they are going for now days) even have a $200 Jewell 2-stage in my LR AR, but also use JP spring sets for many around the farm here and yes I polish, tweak and do things others above have denigrated and ya know not one person has been disappointed or upset over getting a better factory trigger pull, which helps them shoot better w/ their AR.

JP Spring sets cost around $14 @ MidWayUSA and the link above costs 15 minutes, both work for a lot less than aftermarket triggers which some folks cannot afford and deserve to pointed out to the uninformed.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/24/15
That ain't a mod like folks pay for... 20 cycles of the trigger with some polish compound is not going to accomplish much at all, but OTOH, its going to be safe...

The experts above have BTDT on single stage trigger jobs, if you shoot any amount, the serious jobs will eventually fail. At least I agree something is better than nothing, but it sure won't make me happy. When you put 20K plus rounds down the range in the AR a year, when we were shooting, you get a bit picky...

Believe it now, or pay someone and cry later....

Where do you find RRA for less than 70? I"d sure like that link.... I could use about 15 more triggers....

Jewel is still junk in an AR.....
Posted By: TWR Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/24/15
Yep the "15 minute" trigger job isn't a bad option to clean up a stock trigger but it's no where close to a good trigger, neither is a Jewell in an AR unless you like readjusting them from time to time.

What most folks try to accomplish requires changing the angles so the hammer isn't cocked further with the trigger pull, a built in safety BTW. And just like sarge says, the triggers are only surface hardened, go beyond the hardened steel and it's just a matter of time before it screws up.

Read lots of disgruntled reviews of Bill Springfield's trigger work but there are just as many positive reviews too. Just depends on how many rounds folks shoot.

Save the headache and get a real trigger, RR is a good one, Geiselle is another one. All depends on how serious you want to get.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Where do you find RRA for less than 70? I"d sure like that link.... I could use about 15 more triggers....

$80 shipped for the NM or varmint.... http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html

$62 plus shipping for the NM or varmint.... https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...&CFID=513522946&CFTOKEN=96205641
Posted By: Balistic Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
www.triggerwork.net

I have a Bill Springfield trigger with over 1k rounds through it and its beautiful. Breaks like glass at 3lbs.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
Had two of the same triggers done years ago, same type that he does.

1000 rounds is not many rounds for us at all.

Lets just say at some point, most folks aint gonna be happy, especially when for 60-80 bucks they could have put a proper trigger in there...
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
Originally Posted by TWR
Yep the "15 minute" trigger job isn't a bad option to clean up a stock trigger but it's no where close to a good trigger, neither is a Jewell in an AR unless you like readjusting them from time to time.

That's what locktite is for.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
$62 for match triggers right from the source

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index...&CFID=513776932&CFTOKEN=77980564
Posted By: TWR Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

All 4 of mine had the polymer lockers and never saw the screws turn, but if you fire enough rounds they will start doubling, loctite and all. Turned me off of any adjustable triggers.

There are much better triggers out there.
Originally Posted by TWR

I had mine that had issues, as in not screws moving, but in 5 pulls in row, the weight coudl go up and down in pull weight on a scale.

The very first jewel I had, as it came on an experimental run from the factory for us to test did NOT do that.

I bought 3 a few years after that and Chris F was right, prettty much dumped em again as fast as I could once I put a pull gauge on em.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
Look at the ALG triggers. I had an ACT and QMS. I preferred the QMS. They run about $40-$60. MUCH better than mil spec. You can also get LPKs with them from Brownells.

ALG is Geissele's sister company FYI
Posted By: tedthorn Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
Ive had my RR double a time or two
if an RRA doubles, its not adjusted correctly OR the shooter is not used to two stage.

I've seen both happen.

Its not that the RRA is going soft, like normal single stage polished triggers do, its just that the trigger is not properly adjusted.

FWIW.

I have a BIL that can NOT shoot any of my M1s for some reason, doubles em all the time, I've NEVER doubled one of them.
Posted By: TWR Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/26/15
I'm running 3 of the cheap Geissele G2S's with lighter trigger springs that run 3.5 lbs and I like them. Had one of them not reset all the time due to a tight pin and the light spring of course. Changed pins and have over 600 rounds fired with no issues.

So yes, sometimes the slightest thing wrong can screw it up. But my problem with Jewell's and 1 in particular, it started out fine but before long, I'd have to add a little more sear.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/27/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by TWR

I had mine that had issues, as in not screws moving, but in 5 pulls in row, the weight coudl go up and down in pull weight on a scale.

The very first jewel I had, as it came on an experimental run from the factory for us to test did NOT do that.

I bought 3 a few years after that and Chris F was right, prettty much dumped em again as fast as I could once I put a pull gauge on em.

Out of the box, mine would bind. I had to adjust on it a with with a file, and now it's very consistent and clean breaking. However, considering what I payed for it, I shouldn't of had to do any rework.

The machine work on mine was not very pretty either. A buddy of mine picked one up and it looked like a work of fine art and worked perfect out of the box. I think Jewel has some very inconsistent quality control on the AR line.
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Job? - 08/27/15
Since Bill figured out AR triggers, I would look no further than a cheap RRA or any of Bills offerings.

I have known Bill for years, we talked at Perry often enough, and he was around ARs enough to know what was working and what was not on triggers and then decided to step in with his own ideas, and those have been well recieved.

If we were still shooting, I"m sure that a lot of our guns would have Bills triggers.

Only other one I've pulled that made me happy was Milazzo. Still have a few of those, and even those need a tweak from time to time. Obviously that happens when you run around 20K rounds a year through them.
Posted By: barnabus Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
i had this nut job ruin two of my AR triggers.went full auto at my local range.Trashed it..never again
Posted By: liliysdad Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
There are too many good triggers for under a hundred to mess with "trigger jobs."

My current go to is the Larue MBT-2s for $87
Posted By: goalie Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
LaRue MBT and thank me later
Posted By: goalie Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by liliysdad
There are too many good triggers for under a hundred to mess with "trigger jobs."

Beat like a rented mule.

+1
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Ive had my RR double a time or two

Itchy trigger finger. Ive only had 1 double and that was my geiselle SSAE when it was in my AR10 308. Pulled it and put it in my Noveske and it does just fine.
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
Anyone tried any of the Rise Armament triggers? They are usually found around $100.
Posted By: auk1124 Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Anyone tried any of the Rise Armament triggers? They are usually found around $100.

Got one, haven't ran it hard but it seems ok. Breaks clean, poundage is probably accurate, mine seems a little gritty on the reset. If I had it to do over again, I would probably pay an extra 20 or 30 bucks for a Velocity. Or pay 20 bucks less and get the Larue. YMMV
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/17/21
Originally Posted by auk1124
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad

Got one, haven't ran it hard but it seems ok. Breaks clean, poundage is probably accurate, mine seems a little gritty on the reset. If I had it to do over again, I would probably pay an extra 20 or 30 bucks for a Velocity. Or pay 20 bucks less and get the Larue. YMMV

Thanks, that’s good info to have. I tried a Bullmoose trigger with Kaw Valley springs and a grip screw adjuster. It’s pretty crisp with just a little take up but the pull weight is about 4.25-4.5lb. May consider an upgrade at some point.
Posted By: murkydismal Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/18/21
Agree with the LaRue, VERY GOOD in every aspect, and best I've seen for the money.
Posted By: DeoVindice Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/18/21

Absolutely this. There are issues with trigger jobs on ARs related to the outer heat-treat- get into the softer inner metal and things can quickly wear to the point of being unsafe.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/18/21
Originally Posted by DeoVindice

Absolutely this. There are issues with trigger jobs on ARs related to the outer heat-treat- get into the softer inner metal and things can quickly wear to the point of being unsafe.

Exactly. Wear though the surface hardening with a stone or file and it renders the trigger garbage. Prone to wear very quickly..
Posted By: BigNate Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/18/21
I love my SSA-E, I have one Franklin binary that's kinda fun but sucks for precision, I had a CMC in an AR10 that I liked, a RR, don't know what is in my BCM pistol but it's not bad.

Point is there are lots of good options. Watch for sales.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/18/21
I’m just glad we got an update on Barnie’s triggers after five years.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/28/21
I put a LaRue MBT in one of my AR's. It is not quit as good as the Geissele that came in my LaRue PredATar, but it is almost as good and good enough and lots cheaper. Try it, you will like it.
Posted By: kk alaska Re: AR Trigger Job? - 02/28/21
Any thoughts on Jard?
Posted By: rost495 Re: AR Trigger Job? - 03/01/21
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Any thoughts on Jard?

Have not pulled a Jard that made me happy. Don't like single stage in an AR anyway. That said I've not pulled a JARD that wasn't better than factory.
© 24hourcampfire