Home
Posted By: Bluedreaux Stockpiling - 10/07/15
Anybody stocking up for the election cycle?

I'm ordering the last of some pieces for a new build now and am really considering doing an SBR before things get crazy.

It seems like last time BCGs, lowers and magazines were the hot items. A few spare bolts, maybe one or two lowers should hold me just fine.

I know some frown on it, but I'm going to stock up on magazines for the craze purchasing that's coming. I don't consider it "gouging". Right now, everyone in the country knows that Hillary is running for president and that PMags are available for $10 each. If they don't have the foresight to buy now, then too bad for them. But I watched $10 PMags go for $100 apiece last time. Some folks sold enough to buy a new truck. I wouldn't mind flipping 100 PMags and then driving around in a decent used truck that they bought, or taking a family vacation for free.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Stockpiling - 10/07/15
Blue,

I hear what you are saying. Daughter and I finished an upper tonight, and I was just taking inventory for the next few builds.

In addition to cheap uppers and magazines, the barrel selection is improving as well. Both PSA and Anderson have the widest selection I've seen in some time, including one I've been waiting for. Time to start putting away a few extras each check.

I have to wonder where Oobie will attempt to strike with the new executive orders, and if it will spark another panic?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Stockpiling - 10/07/15
Blue, it is indeed a "buyers" market right now!
In my life, I've seen 4 periods where guns, ammo, & hi-cap mags went through the roof. First was the Brady Bill / Assault weapon ban, next was immediately after 9/11, then when Obama won his first election, and the last big one was when the Sandy Hook school shooting occurred.

During all those major events, I was employed in the Wholesale Firearms Industry. And I saw prices double & triple on guns, ammo, and mag prices that I would have never believed!!!
Also saw ammo shortages of .223 / .556 and .22 lr and 22 mag and even 9mm and .380 ammo was nearly impossible to find & purchase.

If the 2016 Election goes sideways, and Hillary gets elected, or God help us all, if Biden should win, or just one more big shooting / school massacre you can bet your last dollar that we will see another big rush to buy every AR15 and every type of ammo & hi-cap mag off the Dealer's shelfs.

Personally, I'm working on getting two SBR's right now and at least 2 more suppressors before the Election heats up. I'm also buying a "few" more standard AR-15 M-4 Carbines to stash away at the Ranch. I've already got a ton of ammo & hi-caps right now, but that damn sure won't keep me from buying a bunch more before its all said and done. My advise is to buy what you can now while the prices are good! If we are right, you'll be glad you did! If we are wrong, we will just have a lot more toys! wink
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Stockpiling - 10/08/15
I hear them talking about ammunition as well. You cannot have a honest discussion about this subject, they just "know" they are right.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/08/15
jimmyp, thanks for the laugh. Yeah, liberal logic rings true again. Funny chit.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/08/15
Blue, where are you seeing Pmags for $10?
Posted By: deerstalker Re: Stockpiling - 10/08/15
prudent buying is not wrong. anyone that doesn't recognize the threat of zero issuing draconian orders is not thinking.
just bought 22 ammo at prices I never expected to pay, but if zero causes another panic they may be cheap.
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Stockpiling - 10/09/15
Back in 2007 I had another shooter ask me why I had over 60 AR mags still in the wrap. Then Obama was elected. I didn't sell any for $100, but they made for great trading material.

My stash is back up to 60+ again. Unless they are outlawed and confiscated, they will continue make for great trading material.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Stockpiling - 10/09/15
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

I know some frown on it, but I'm going to stock up on magazines for the craze purchasing that's coming. I don't consider it "gouging". Right now, everyone in the country knows that Hillary is running for president and that PMags are available for $10 each. If they don't have the foresight to buy now, then too bad for them.

I agree 100% the same person that says gouging will not offer to sell you their apple stock for what they bought it for in 19xx
I tied up the $$$ I stored it and moved it I didnt but a (fill in the blank) because I did buy an AR or a (fill in the blank)

Thats not saying that if I had a friend that needed some 22 for his kid I wouldnt help but...

I dont want to live in a world I cant offer a drink of water to a thirsty human but I aint gonna fill your pool.

I just wonder if I will ever have enough It doesnt seem that way

Hank
Posted By: boatboy Re: Stockpiling - 10/09/15
Recently I found a nice used Glock 17 2nd gen
Its was a bargin if I could find a couple more bargin 17s I would be all over them
At the time I knew it was a good deal tomorrow it maybe better
Hank
Posted By: deflave Re: Stockpiling - 10/09/15
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Blue, where are you seeing Pmags for $10?

Brownells has 10 packs for $108.something.

Travis
Posted By: TWR Re: Stockpiling - 10/09/15
Thanks to this thread, I remembered I sold 10 or 12 tan Pmags a while back and never did replace them. I ordered 10 20's and 10 30's from Brownells just this morning.

Not going to resale them but mags are expendable. Living through the 94 ban, I will always have an ample stash of magazines and spare parts.

I looked at a Colt 6720 yesterday and figure one day it would easily double in price but I just couldn't lay down the cash knowing I had no need for it and would just put it back hoping to double my money.

Right now guns, ammo, components and parts are readily available and if someone waits until they ban them again, then they deserve to pay through the nose.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/09/15
Thanks, Travis. I'll check that out. I've got a box full of Colt mags, but not many Pmags. Can't ever have too many.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Anybody stocking up for the election cycle?

I call it "maintaining inventory."
Posted By: choctawbadge Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
Oh boy, let's all panic again.
Posted By: deflave Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
Thanks, Travis. I'll check that out. I've got a box full of Colt mags, but not many Pmags. Can't ever have too many.

I like the standard Brownells/GI's better than anything but the Pmags sell for cheapest these days and seem to be the most desirable amongst... ummmm.... people that don't have any mags.

Travis
Posted By: TWR Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
I have about 40 or 50 GI 20's and a few 30's that I'm saving for hard times. The Pmags get used and abused.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
It's definitely a good time to buy if you need something. Does anyone know a source for cheap Magpul followers for the aluminum GI mags?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
Checked Brownells, but they were back up to $135/10 Pmags. Checked around and Selway Armory had them for $10.99/mag. Picked up 8 because that's all they were showing available. Delivery TMD was $12.14. Not too bad. Everywhere else I checked was $13.50 all the way up to $19 a mag.

Probably never open these. I've got about 50 Colt mags.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
$99 for a 10 pack of Gen3s.

And followers for $2 each.

https://dsgarms.com/rifle-platforms-ar15-mags-components?pagesize=36
Posted By: Yondering Re: Stockpiling - 10/10/15
$10 30's (non-window) P-Mags from these guys.

CMC Government Supply
Posted By: boatboy Re: Stockpiling - 10/11/15
My future Son in Law brought to my attention Grab a gun
9.25 each

Hank
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/11/15
Hank, those are Gen2's. Not that it matters if no M3's available.

Yonderling, they must have raised the price back up.

Blue, DSGArms is the shizzle at $99/10, no tax, $7.50 delivery USPS. $106.50 delivered. Now all I need is a zero/hilly panic attack. smile
I'll keep my Colt mags, thanks.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Stockpiling - 10/11/15
Got it Thank You for the heads up

forgive my ignorance but what is the change?

Thanks HAnk
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/11/15
Hank, it'd take me 3 paragraphs to describe. Just type "Pmag M2 vs M3" and you'll get exactly that.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Stockpiling - 10/11/15
Hank, those are Gen2's. Not that it matters if no M3's available.

Yonderling, they must have raised the price back up.

Blue, DSGArms is the shizzle at $99/10, no tax, $7.50 delivery USPS. $106.50 delivered. Now all I need is a zero/hilly panic attack. smile
I'll keep my Colt mags, thanks.

I'm still seeing $10 and $9.99 for the first two P-mags in the list when the link opens. One black and one FDE. dunno why it would be different for you, I'm not logged in to it.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Stockpiling - 10/12/15
I wish I liked the damned things, I would be buying all sorts of stuff right now.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Stockpiling - 10/12/15
Ill stockpile mags, and I've got several thousand rounds. Unfortunately, don't have the extra $$$ to stockpile rifles or rifle builds.
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Stockpiling - 10/12/15
Stocking up?

I'm covered x10
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
what do you guys recommend in terms of # of rifles, magazines, ammunition?
Posted By: MichiganScott Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by jimmyp

As much as possible.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
What time do yall get to walmart?
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I wish I liked the damned things, I would be buying all sorts of stuff right now.

Took me some getting used to.

But once I realized how flipping accurate the good ones were, and how versatile they were compared to a standard bolt gun, (obviously yours and ours custom bolts are as good or better accuracy wise adn the stocks should fit) then it was a no brainer.

Down sides are weight at times.

Beyond that looks never mattered to me for the most part.

Whatever you can afford and or want to sell later on.

At one point before the boating accident, I bought a fair number of lowers to be safe... I really should at least buy enough LPKs for all the lowers.... at some point.. duh..

Just to many things to procure, and to many wants and a wife that loves outdoor stuff so we buy her guns, boats, kayaks and such too..

And now this pressing urge to fly and own plane by the time we move to Alaska.....
BTW RE ammo, IF you can't afford ammo, I'd sure buy components, that stuff could be more valuable as you buy it for 223 but can be used for fair amount of other calibers....
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Took me some getting used to.

But once I realized how flipping accurate the good ones were, and how versatile they were compared to a standard bolt gun, (obviously yours and ours custom bolts are as good or better accuracy wise adn the stocks should fit) then it was a no brainer.

Down sides are weight at times.

Beyond that looks never mattered to me for the most part.

Looks mean nothing, accurate means nothing, I have accurate. It's carrying the damn things around, there just ain't no good way to do it.

And likely it's the TC Contender/Encore thing going on. Great, one receiver, 57 barrels, some wrenches, rings, buffers blah blah frigging blah. Now I need a separate room for all the spare parts.

hm, I"ve never had an issue carrying?

Mag to long, stick a 10 rounder in it.

Other than that it doens't bother me near as much as my Encore... that dang trigger guard hook digs into my side worse than anything...

Of course in the end, if you don't need or want semi for whatever reason, a bolt gun ain't a bad choice, even factory, and even the cheap ones are fairly accurate generally, and as cheap or cheaper sometimes than a simple trade out upper.

As to carry, obviously we don't generally go as far as you are used to on foot, though I love doing it, just doesn't work here. And I"m used to 2 things.. toss it in the truck till we get there, and then toss it on my shoulder to go to the stand/area generally half mile or less walk, or I'm really bad bout toting my guns by the scope or action area and not the sling.

But man the AR works if you shooting multiple varmints, or multiple pigs....

FWIW I've never fired more than one round out of my AR at a deer anyway... LOL.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by choctawbadge

No... Panic is that moment in time when you realize it's too late.

Prepared and panic are very different. wink
Posted By: tedthorn Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Yep buy now.......let others panic and bitch later
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by rost495
hm, I"ve never had an issue carrying?

Mag to long, stick a 10 rounder in it.

Other than that it doens't bother me near as much as my Encore... that dang trigger guard hook digs into my side worse than anything...

Of course in the end, if you don't need or want semi for whatever reason, a bolt gun ain't a bad choice, even factory, and even the cheap ones are fairly accurate generally, and as cheap or cheaper sometimes than a simple trade out upper.

As to carry, obviously we don't generally go as far as you are used to on foot, though I love doing it, just doesn't work here. And I"m used to 2 things.. toss it in the truck till we get there, and then toss it on my shoulder to go to the stand/area generally half mile or less walk, or I'm really bad bout toting my guns by the scope or action area and not the sling.

But man the AR works if you shooting multiple varmints, or multiple pigs....

FWIW I've never fired more than one round out of my AR at a deer anyway... LOL.

Yeah, they are a dream to carry all day long. So svelte they are.

Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Count me as another one who disdained AR's for a long time, and who still collects antiques. But eventually I came to enjoy working on/with AR's. They are much like the old muscle cars of the 60's & 70's; you can easily customize them to suit yourself. Run anything from .22LR, to .50 Beowulf on the same lower.

A semiauto is going to always be heavier than a light bolt gun running the same cartridge, and when hunting, the bolt gun may well prove to be handier. I have one AR that is the "house gun" for serious defensive use; but I have hunted it successfully, too.
Posted By: firstcoueswas80 Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Re: carrying

I've got two AR's. One heavy, accurate bastard use for predators and pigs. If I'm pig hunting im either carrying it because I'm stalking, or it's in my pack, magazine in my pants pocket. When I'm predator calling, it's on a single point skiing. Granted, when dragging a coyote out that does get cumbersome.

My other one is my shtf m4, and if I'm carrying it I'm either practicing, or I'll potentially need it quickly.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
that they are heavy is a myth, why at 10 pounds 1 1/4 ounces with 10 rounds of WW 150 grain Power point ammo its like handling a good lightweight fly rod. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yondering Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
They don't have to be heavy unless you want them to be, or don't pay attention to weight when you're attaching all the extra doodads.

My 18" 308 is right at 9lb scoped with an empty mag, and could be lighter if I wasn't stuck on the full length ff forend. My lightest 223 was 7lb scoped, also with a free float forend.

A nice slim forend sure makes them nicer to carry too. The SSK series Midwest sells is slim enough to carry like dad's old 30/30.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15

Start with an AR and a thousand rounds for every shooter in the house, plus an extra AR.

After that, it's all a matter of preference.

Posted By: navlav8r Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
It's only "stockpiling" if someone else has more than you! grin
Posted By: MolonLabe41 Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by navlav8r

This^^^^^^
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Stockpiling - 10/13/15
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by choctawbadge

No... Panic is that moment in time when you realize it's too late.

Prepared and panic are VERY different. wink

PREZACTLY!!!
Posted By: jimmyp Re: Stockpiling - 10/14/15
I bought 2 boxes of 20 Federal Fusion 62 grain bullets and two of the 20 round PMags yesterday from Acadamy sports. I figure that is about all I will be able to shoot before being overwhelmed by the Zombie hoards. I don't think its going to be like this.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

Posted By: RickyD Re: Stockpiling - 10/14/15
Originally Posted by navlav8r
I'll run with that. I have 3 uppers to build and two lowers. Powder will be another thing to buy. Can't have too much.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Stockpiling - 10/14/15
FYI heads up, got Selway to price match to DSG on mags and shipping.

Also, got an email today from GrabaGun for black 30 rd Pmags for $9.25/per, but can't open the link yet because commie liberal employer blocks wifi access to websites that MAY have gun info or sales.
Posted By: tarheelpwr Re: Stockpiling - 10/14/15
Not stockpiling, but I'm really thinking about getting my 3-gun gear together before I have to worry.

Aero Ambi lower
JP-15 Upper
Sig P320
FN SLP Competition

I'll likely just get lower finished out and pick up enough AR/Sig hi cap mags that I won't have to worry this year. I don't figure the Sig or the shotgun will be in danger. Here's to hoping.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Stockpiling - 10/14/15
Gun Mag Warehouse has 10 packs of Pmag Gen2 30 rnd. mags for $89.99.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Stockpiling - 10/14/15
dang shame thats not 20s... I just can't stand 30s
Posted By: varmintsinc Re: Stockpiling - 10/15/15
Yep, I grabbed a ten pack of 20s and 30s, like the 20 much better for shooting prone.

I just plunked down for a new upper, PSA had nickel boron bolt carriers for $99 and that is a steal so I grabbed two. Joebob outfitters had uppers for $39 so I got two of them also. Only one barrel though, AR-15 performance 18" 3 gun profile.
Posted By: viking Re: Stockpiling - 10/16/15
I managed to find a 30 shot mag for the mini 14 and some speed loaders. LOL.
Posted By: BMT Re: Stockpiling - 10/22/15
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Start with an AR and a thousand rounds for every shooter in the house, plus an extra AR.

After that, it's all a matter of preference.

Agree that this is a good baseline
NOTE-if you have a fighting rifle (AK, M1, M1A, SKS, etc.) there is no need to buy another one. Just some ammo.
Also, if you have a Sidearm add 500 rounds for that
If you have a HD shotgun-500 rounds
This can be in place of all those ARs
Also, if you have a bolt action rifle in the same caliber as your fighting rifle that is helpful
The point being you may have most of what you need in the gun cabinet.
© 24hourcampfire