Home
Posted By: jimmyp DD5 at LGS - 11/21/15
I handled the DD5 (daniel defense 308) today at my local gun store. The slim forearm made it seem lighter than its 8.5 pound weight. The bolt catch/release was smallish and did not seem to engage the bolt easily, had ambi safety and mag release along with their new butt stock. The upper was "sculpted" looking thinner than a normal AR10 type receiver, chromed bolt and seemed to be a chrome lined 16 inch barrel.

All in all I could not see the $2700 bucks they are asking for it. I am still waiting to find a flaw in the Ruger SR762 I bought which is 8.6 pounds. The DD5 comes with a SSA trigger so adding one to the Ruger brings it up a bit to about $1800 about a grand less than the DD.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/21/15
I just don't see how DD keeps selling their stuff for as much as they do. It's good, no doubt, but there's a lot of good stuff out there nowadays.
Posted By: bearstalker Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/21/15
At that price pass the SCAR 17.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
I would not get a SCAR, but a Knight is in that ballpark.

I bought a DD V11 sometime ago, the trigger was awful, the barrel is of lower quality than a V7 LW I bought 3 or so years ago.
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
Where are you finding KAC's for less than 3K?

Considering this is a brand new rifle from a top end company, the price doesn't seem too high. Still cheaper than some LMT's, KAC's, and LaRue's. I doubt they put this rifle out to compete with the low end .308's, they have a target market and if the rifle performs well, they will sell. However, .308's are prone to gas issues. I will be interested to see if DD addressed this issue with theirs or ignored it like most other companies (cough DPMS cough).
Posted By: local_dirt Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
I've handled the SR762 and for the money, I like it a lot. One may end up on my Christmas list.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
I was using the "in for $2700 in for $4000" analogy. At the $3000 mark another grand is a "so what" smile

right now I am quite happy with my Ruger piston rifle, its not a "professional rifle" but it suits my hunting needs. I just run WW 150 grain loaded factory PP's in it, and you pull the trigger and it hits the bulls eye.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
but there's a lot of good stuff out there nowadays.

And in a 7.62, for a good, dependable, durable, long lasting "combat" rifle, what is that makes up that "lot of other good stuff out there nowadays"? What's available for a substantially lower price as you are implying, that fits that bill?

MM
Posted By: reelman Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
For that kind of money get a SCAR17, much nicer IMO that I got rid of both my AR10's after getting a SCAR17.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I bought a DD V11 sometime ago, the trigger was awful, the barrel is of lower quality than a V7 LW I bought 3 or so years ago.

jimmyp, are you talking SR25?

Thanks,
Greg
Posted By: bearstalker Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15

Wny no SCAR?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
but there's a lot of good stuff out there nowadays.

And in a 7.62, for a good, dependable, durable, long lasting "combat" rifle, what is that makes up that "lot of other good stuff out there nowadays"? What's available for a substantially lower price as you are implying, that fits that bill?

MM

I wasn't referring to the 7.62 specifically, but DD generally.

I never implied that anything else was substantially cheaper, only that I that I thought DD was high. Rather than spend $2700 on a 7.62 (which are notoriously over-gassed) from a company that has a reputation for building over-gassed guns in 5.56 and is just getting into the 7.62 game....I'd spend $200 more on a Larue, who has been building good 7.62s for quite a while and has an excellent reputation for accuracy.
-Although the Larue is 8% more expensive, for me that 8% makes the DD overpriced.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
OK, I thought you might know about something else out there that I wasn't aware of.

I agree too, about the Larue 7.62, but DD usually does it pretty right..........7.62's are just plain pricey.

Can't quite bring myself to have a Ruger or a DMPS though yet.

MM

Posted By: djones Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
Originally Posted by wareagle700
... I will be interested to see if DD addressed this issue with theirs or ignored it like most other companies (cough DPMS cough).

i heard that!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rost495 Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
before I spend money like that, anything I am getting is coming from a custom smith for sure.

Rack guns are a different story.

MM

i'm beginning to get a dpms complex.

[Linked Image]

ok i recognize i have a problem, and have been told (by experts no less) that is the first step. i'm ready for therapy. i'll go first.

i'm djones... and i shoot a dpms.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BMT Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
Nice

BMT
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/22/15
I have two DD's. They run flawlessly, but for what they cost, they should outshoot lower end guns. They don't.
just finished my crash course therapy session on dpms and i finally get it. shot 7 hogs and only found 6. also missed two. dam dpms!!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15
this is a hobby gun, so I am waiting for it to fail at any minute.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: djones Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15
jimmy,
i don't know what kind of rifle that is, but if you're worried about it, you might try a monitoring service, wrist band, or the patch... you know... in case it falls and can't get up. "don't worry.... help is on the waaaay!!!!"

[Linked Image]
Not too worry Mr. Jones, I use expensive vision correction equipment to prevent vertigo and the possibility of falling.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RickyD Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15
Originally Posted by djones

MM

[Linked Image]
And yet you keep on smiling. A real trooper! grin
what is the latest on your Gen2 hunter? whistle

I looked at their Gen2 hunter compact in .260 remington but it seemed to feature a 1-10 twist... whistle

I then regained my sanity...
Posted By: g5m Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15

[Linked Image]

Very droll!
Posted By: wareagle700 Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15

I looked at their Gen2 hunter compact in .260 remington but it seemed to feature a 1-10 twist... whistle

Only DPMS would come out with a 10 twist .260 when the market is moving towards the 6.5 Creed with a 8 twist. grin
it fills a niche between hobbyists and soldiers, specifically para leo enthusiasts who don't really want to shoot, just stop, drop and roll.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by djones

MM

[Linked Image]
And yet you keep on smiling. A real trooper! grin

some people don't have sense enuf to come in out of the rain.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15

In that case, it doesn't really matter then. wink

MM
Posted By: BMT Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15
FWIW:

Both my DPMS 308s have run flawlessly through thousands of rounds

I actually am wearing out my BCG on one of them. No failures

Of course, I maintain them . . .

BMT
Posted By: rost495 Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15

MM

How many guns out there are NOT hobby guns? I mean most of us will never fire one in defense

it works for every shot for now has good accuracy, but who knows....I may have the poor SR-762 at the range one day and it may just see a SCAR17 and just suffer a complete breakdown.
Posted By: BMT Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/23/15

it works for every shot for now has good accuracy, but who knows....I may have the poor SR-762 at the range one day and it may just see a SCAR17 and just suffer a complete breakdown.

The biggest risk you face is watching my DPMS runs smoothly all day grin
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/24/15
I think DPMS "originals" are fine...with the G2 they lightened the carrier but used the old barrels with the same size gas port...of course by that time the accountants had fired all the engineers and hired ex McDonald fry cooks to bolt them together and answer questions on the phone. This team simply has no idea what the hell was going on, they had my G2 for a few months and finally I just said "please give me my money back". Is DPMS owned by Remington or Leupold??
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/24/15
Originally Posted by rost495

MM

How many guns out there are NOT hobby guns? I mean most of us will never fire one in defense

Exactly my point...........

You're right on top of it though, rost wink

MM
Posted By: djones Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/24/15
i'm getting to the point where i might want to hang more crap off the forearm, and the round one from dpms isn't rail friendly. plus, the receiver is extra high, and railed forearms don't line up. i might not mind a step down from the receiver rail to the forearm rail, but if i have a hobby gun now, that might just put me in the toy gun category.
Posted By: jimmyp Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/25/15
Get a G2, but be prepared to put an adjustable gas block on it... smile
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/25/15
SWFA has a Seekins on sale for $700 off, making it around $1800 for Black Friday.

Seekins stuff ain't half bad.

MM
Posted By: djones Re: DD5 at LGS - 11/25/15
call me old fashioned but i just gotta keep dancing with the one who brung me..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire