Home
Posted By: kciH Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/09/09
I've seen that there have been a few write ups in the gun magazines about these, all of which have been 38-55's. The accuracy in these reviews was so-so, but pretty much in line with what a 200 yard cartridge needs to be useful. I've been wanting one of these since they where first introduced.

I'm going to buy one chambered in 30-30, anyone had any experience with these?

Because I think it's a interesting rifle, I have to have one. This seems like one of those rifles that should buy while you can, as there is nothing else for less than a 3K custom that you can get.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/09/09
Originally Posted by kciH
Because I think it's a interesting rifle, I have to have one. This seems like one of those rifles that should buy while you can, as there is nothing else for less than a 3K custom that you can get.

To each his own. It strikes me as more of a novelty item than a serious rifle, but the market will tell. It seems scaled more toward a .22 than a center fire like a .38-55, and there was a write up on a .22 version in the latest Rifle. Not particularly accurate for a Sharps.

You can get an excellent Sharps for less than $3K. Basic models of the Shiloh and C. Sharps can be had for not all that much more than the $1229 I saw quoted for the Little Sharps, and they are American made.

Keep in mind that this is a 135 y/o design. Experienced Sharps shooters know that the lever spring and firing pin are prone to breakage, and keep spares on hand. Will parts be available for the imported Little Sharps?

Things to consider.

Paul
Posted By: Savuti Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/09/09
I had a super hot nut for one of these in 38-55...........

right up 'til I read the specs and found the LOP at 12.5!

Argh!!!!!!!

SOS
Posted By: bcp Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/09/09
I handled one. The problem for me is that the triggers and lever and scaled down, too. I can barely get the tip of my finger on the trigger.

Bruce
Posted By: Savuti Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/10/09
Seems I disremembered the LOP.

IT'S ACTUALLY 12" EVEN!!!!!!!!

Double AAARRRRGGHH!

SOS
Posted By: Captain Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/10/09
Concerning the length of pull.... There is a photo of the mini next to a full sized Sharps in the latest review at Gunblast.com. Both are butt down and side-by-side and it would appear to me that the LOP on the mini is at least as long as the standard version.

I think the possibility exists that someone might have given the stats measured to the rear trigger of the double sets. The LOP to the front trigger would then be closer to a normal length although I think the originals were a bit shorter than modern rifles.

I also am interested in this rifle and am torn between .45 Colt, .30-30 or the .357 Mag. Each has its virtues in this application. Maybe one of each? I think bore diameter would have a major impact on balance in the calibers listed in the article.

I seem to recall reading about one of the original makers of mini sharps where a 14" LOP was stated??? In any event hunting jackets or a slip on pad (if you can live with it) add to the LOP.
Posted By: kciH Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/10/09
I'm having a hard time getting one of these, even though CD is just shipping then to several distributors. It's going to come down to my FFL's salesman drawing a number from a hat.
Originally Posted by Paul39

To each his own. It strikes me as more of a novelty item than a serious rifle, but the market will tell. It seems scaled more toward a .22 than a center fire like a .38-55, and there was a write up on a .22 version in the latest Rifle. Not particularly accurate for a Sharps.

You can get an excellent Sharps for less than $3K. Basic models of the Shiloh and C. Sharps can be had for not all that much more than the $1229 I saw quoted for the Little Sharps, and they are American made.

Keep in mind that this is a 135 y/o design. Experienced Sharps shooters know that the lever spring and firing pin are prone to breakage, and keep spares on hand. Will parts be available for the imported Little Sharps?

Things to consider.

Paul

I had to go back and look after your post. The one's made to order in Big Sandy, MT start at $3,250.

I realize you can get a full size for much less, but they don't appeal to me quite as much as a 26" 30-30 at about 6lbs.
It is my understanding that the imports are made to specs of the rifle that was initially produced by the Little Sharps Rifle Mfg. in Montana. I'm not certain of that, but I recall that being the story. If that is the case it should not be too big a deal to get some spare parts for the rifle.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/10/09
I had to go back and look after your post. The one's made to order in Big Sandy, MT start at $3,250.

I realize you can get a full size for much less, but they don't appeal to me quite as much as a 26" 30-30 at about 6lbs.

What the heck are you talking about? I have the 2009 Shiloh catalog in front of me, and a couple of basic models including the 1874 Business rifle are listed at $1800. There are several versions in the $1,900 - $2,022 range. The Quigley model with a bunch of bells and whistles is $3,298. Prices do not include federal excise tax. www.shilohrifle.com

Shiloh and C. Sharps are located in Big Timber, Montana, not Big Sandy.

Edited to add: Shiloh's catalog shows that the smallest calibers offered are .30-40 Krag and .38-55.

Paul
I'm talking about the company that makes the little sharps in Montana. Like I said in my last post, the full size rifles don't interst me all that much.

http://littlesharps.com/

I believe the ones that are imported by CD, made in Italy, are a direct copy of the ones that are custom made here in the US. Huge price difference versus the custom, hand made, rifles.
Posted By: BlkHawk73 Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/10/09
I've thought about one in .357 magnum and having it cut to .357 max. Brass tube that and it'll get the odd look. Be dran cool IMO.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/10/09
Ah, now I get it. Sorry for the confusion. So is the same company both importing the Little Sharps and offering custom versions as well? Like I said, the review in Rifle listed the price of the import at $1229, IIRC

Paul
KBI or Charles Daly is importing one from Italy. The company in MT custom makes them and sells the CD import.

I believe I read an article at one point that said the import was essentially built to the specs of the one made in Montana.

I think the retail is $1229. I should be able to get it home for about $1050 IF I can get one.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/11/09
Well, the website says 12" LOP to the front trigger.
But, to be sure, I'll take a tape with me to Orlando on Thursday.

SOS
Posted By: kciH Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/11/09
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot

SOS

Thanks,
would be good info to have.
Posted By: Toolelk Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/11/09
Not sure if anyone is confused at this point, but just to be clear. Both C Sharps (Montana Armory) and Shiloh are located in Big Timber, Montana. Lil' Sharps is located in Big Sandy, Montana about 2.5 hours north of Big Timber (just south of Havre). Ron and Duke of Lil' Sharps have invested years in an effort to find local manufacturing. After years of trying, they had the rifles manufactured by Dakota (prior to Don Allen's death). I believe Dakota still offers this version. I will leave it to Ron and Duke at this point but the ones I have handled are imported. Just for the record, Axtell Rifle in Sheridan, Montana also produces a '77 Sharps rifle.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/12/09
It seems to me that I saw a flier with a "trapper" model
in .30-40 Krag with a 16" barrel, might have been a Browning
Hi-Wall though.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/17/09
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot

SOS

Thanks,
would be good info to have.

Well, I'm back, and with good news. Put a tape on 3 different Little Sharps and the LOP on each was 14 even to the front trigger, 13 1/4 to the rear.
Sweet little piece. Wish I hadn't played with them. Now I'll have to enough scratch for another "gun I must have."

Incidentally, whether they're sold by Daly or Taylor's or someone else whose name escapes me, Chiappa Arms, - they're all made by Chiappa.

SOS
Posted By: 65BR Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/17/09
I also stopped by the booth, handled one, agree with Bruce, just too small and had such little heft....not my cup of tea I guess.
I believe you might be trying to say "Chapparal".
Posted By: kciH Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/19/09
My pusher/rifle pimp called to say that mine arrived today. Hope I can get there before closing time.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/19/09
I hope it meets your expectations, and you're happy with it.

BTW, with my full size Sharps 1874 it takes seven movements after firing to reload and prepare for the next shot.

1. Pull hammer to half cock
2. Drop lever and extract case
3. Reload
4. Close breech
5. Bring hammer to full cock
6. Reposition tang sight
7. Set trigger

Paul

I watched the show "Cowboys" a couple months ago and they were doing a piece on the copies of the little sharps and "Chiappa" is correct spelling. They told how the folks at the Little Sharps Co. had agreed to let them make the copies in Italy.

The folks from Big Sandy brought their guns to the gun show in Great Falls, MT for several years. Can't say if they still do since I moved away, but they were nice.

It sure is funny how we have been trying to scale down our rifles to make them lighter and lighter, but the Little Sharps is ridiculed because it is to small. I know, I know, it isn't historically accurate.
Posted By: 65BR Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/20/09
I think for that design, if I were into the Sharps rifles, I'd want one somewhere in the middle, the 1885 Low Wall was just right for me, easy to operate and fit well, but light enough. Just need more calibers.

Maybe some will find it to their liking, one often must handle one in person to see what fits them.
Posted By: Route4 Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/20/09
This same show had Tequila shooting a buffalo with a factory custom chambered 454 Casull Little Sharps. Anyone heard if they plan on offering the 454 as a normal chambering? I would have thought it may be too much cartridge for the Sharps? But it sure would be fun.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/20/09
There is an article in the March "Guns" magazine with these little rifles featured in it. There is even a picture of one next to an original Sharps owned by the infamous "Shrapnel"...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whoooey! Nice guns!

Posted By: kciH Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/20/09
Originally Posted by Paul39
I hope it meets your expectations, and you're happy with it.

BTW, with my full size Sharps 1874 it takes seven movements after firing to reload and prepare for the next shot.

1. Pull hammer to half cock
2. Drop lever and extract case
3. Reload
4. Close breech
5. Bring hammer to full cock
6. Reposition tang sight
7. Set trigger

Paul

I hope so as well. I didn't get done with work soon enough to stop by, but tomorrow is another day. Hope to go shooting this weekend if it's not snowing/raining.
Posted By: kciH Re: Charles Daly Mini Sharps - 01/21/09
While I have not measured the length of pull on the rifle, it fits about like any other, certainly not short. Wood to metal fit and overall finish are good. The wood is a bit plain, but has a nice oil finish. There is no need to fold down the tang sight to load and unload the rifle when chambered for the 30-30. It balances quite nicely when held by the forearm, should be a nice carry gun. As was noted in the articles, and by those who have handled them, there is not a lot of finger room to activate the rear trigger. When the front trigger is set the pull is superb. I have not put the trigger scale to it as yet, but I would have to bet it's well under 2 lbs when set and crisp as any I've ever felt on any kind of sporting rifle.

I'm happy with it overall as for quality and will pray for good weather this weekend.

© 24hourcampfire