Home
Posted By: Goat Any 1885 Hi Wall shooters here? - 07/15/10
I guess I have finally matured enough to purchase a sigle shot because I want to. My home state of Louisiana allows the use of exposed hammer single shot rifles of 38 caliber and larger for use in our "primitive weapons" deer seasons. Last year I purchased and sucessfully used a Knight KP-1 in 45/70 for this arrangement and was happy with it. During the last year I have really taken a shine to the old 38/55 and started looking for a way to use it in the "primitive weapons" deer season. Then I find out that Winchester has made some runs of them in the High Wall in the last few years. A trip to one of the auction sites really gets me going and now I have an 1885 High Wall Short Hunter ordered. It comes with a 22" barrel and a tang sight. I realize that most of the posts around here seem to be centered on the Ruger No.1 but wondered if the High Wall will permit my entry into the "single shot club?"
I decided to go ahead and spend the money for the High Wall because every man needs at least one gun to be proud of. I have myself convinced that it has enough class that I will want to hunt with it outside of the "primitive weapons" seasons. I already load for the 38/55 and find it to be a pleasure to shoot and quite authoritive on woods range whitetails. What do you think of the 1885? Thanks for your replies.
Goat
Goat, I've got a Brng 85 in 45/70 that I've hunted with for about 14yrs. We also can use the exposed hammer thing. I had a .35whelen NEF for a while and it did very well. The 85's are accurate and I use mine for more than just the Primative season. A friend of mine has the 38/55 and likes it. This year I'll hunt with a low wall Brng in .357 during the primative season. Good luck with yours...
Goat-

I have a Browning 1885 in 45-70, I put an Omega scope on it, which helps with eye relief. It is very accurate. I generally go to MS each year and I wanted it for their PW season, I didn't get to go last year, but it'll make the trip this year. My Browning has a nice comfy pad on the end which is really nice at the range. I am well pleased, and I trust you will be also.

They are fine rifles, enjoy.
I shoot a 45-90 High wall. Blackpowder solely. Shoots great ONCE you get the load right. You'll have fun and yeah, seeing as how the 1885 FAR pre-dated the Ruger, you are in the single shot lunatics association.
Goat,

I see no reason for anyone with a falling block action (or even rolling block, for that matter...) not to be allowed into the 24HCF-SSLA. smile Now, break-action shotgon actions... That just might be a different matter. grin

I have Browning B-78's in .405 Win and .300 H&H, and 1885's in .38-55, .243 Win, and .45 LC.(Oops! forgot the 1885's in .325 WSM, 7mm WSM, and .223...) Also, a C Sharps Hi-Wall in 40-70 Sharps Straight. smile

Too bad that none of those are legal in Michigan... (For a Primitive Firearms Season...) frown I do wish we had a Primative Firearms season where these were legal... If only in pistol cartridges... You guys are lucky down there...

GH
I've been shooting a Browning 1885 for well over 15 years now and have really enjoyed it. Finally had to put a scope on it about 3 years ago due to eyesight. I have killed a load of deer with it. My only gripe about it is the length. It is very cumbersome in a tree stand. That's why I finally just broke down and got a little Handi-Rifle and use it for deer hunting. The short hunter sounds interesting.

How picky are your law enforcement folks on the primitive weapons caliber? Mississippi's wildlife department made that same .38 caliber minimum mistake Louisiana has made. As you know, a .38-55 is smaller than .38 caliber. .38-55's were selling really well that first year when single shots were allowed for primitive weapons, mostly by people who had no idea that technically, it was too small. Fortunately, the minimum caliber was reduced to .35 and that eliminated the "gray-area."
My question would be how picky they are on the exposed hammer. 1885 ect. vs a Ruger #1-#3-SS and the logic supporting it.

I believe MS started out with period rifles and cartridges, the cartridge part has been dropped, why not the exposed hammer?
Getting to where we are in Ms. Primitive Weapons was a road with several twists. It started as a BPCR addition. Then the powers that be found out how little BPCR ammo was out there, so they went ahead and allowed smokeless powder. The pre-1900, exposed hammer, .38 or larger, single-shot requirements remained intact. So, everyone ran out and bought Handi-Rifles and Contenders. Much to many people's dismay, they discovered only after they bought Contenders that they were designed after 1900....ouch!

Within a few years, they decided to drop the pre-1900 part because for all applicable purposes, guns like the Contender were exactly the same as guns such as the Handi. So far as I know, they won't let anyone slide on that hammer issue.
I've been a B-78 shooter for the last 34 years. Bought it new in '76. It's taken most of a hundred deer. And it still goes sub-MOA with loads it likes.
The 1885 is my favorite of all of my rifles. I have 2 in 38-55 and one in 38wcf. They are dead accurate, and continue to climb in value if they are original. The top one I just picked up from the Harry Sanford estate. shootin a High wall is the most fun you can have with your clothes on... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'd really like one in .30/40, for some reason. I can't imagine why, though....................d:^)
Could not agree more about the 30/40. I've had a 30/40 in a #3 for 15 years but wanted an exposed hammer. So last year purchased a G2 Contender and had MGM make a 30/40 barrel.
I have two and have had three total. My first was a Browning. Sold it. My others are Winchesters. One in .223 Remington destined for a big bore rebore & the other a 300 Wsm which it will stay.
I have the Win 1885 in 7 WSM. My most accurate rifle.... and I have 16 very good bolt guns. May take it to Wy this year for antelope and deer.

I have an original Hiwall that I had rebarreled to .30-40 (it was originally a .30-40, but then somebody pulled the original barrel and replaced it with a 20" barrel made from an '03A3 barrel. Why???? Looked like hell and kicked worse. I had a Shilen blank made into a #3 round 28" replacement). Also have an original Hiwall in .38-40 made in 1896, a Lowall .25-20 WCF made up from parts of 7 rifles and some aftermarket and homemade parts, and a C.Sharps Hiwall replica in .44-40 WCF. I love 'em all; my favorite rifles.

My older bro liked my .30-40 and the C.Sharps .44 so well that he had C.Sharps make him a .30-40; we're off to Big Timber in a couple of weeks to pick it up!
Hey there! I am new to the forums but I just bought a High Wall in May and am really excited about hunting whitetails with it this year. It is one of those Davidson's specials, a "Short Hunter" in .405 Winchester. I topped it off with a Weaver 1-3x scope and made a pair of shooting sticks out of some 1" dowels, leather and brass hardware. I adjusted the trigger down on mine and it is one of the best factory triggers that I have seen on a rifle.

Now if only November will get here!
Here,two decent single shots
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Evil Twin, that looks just like my 1885 but with a longer barrel! Is it the "Hunter" model? What caliber?
45-90. It would be the Creedmore but for the Lyman tang sight rather than a soule. Shoots REAL well with grease groove,sux with paper patched. The Sharps is an original 45-110 and it LOVES paper patched ammo but won't shoot a GG worth a tinker's damn.
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
45-90. It would be the Creedmore but for the Lyman tang sight rather than a soule. Shoots REAL well with grease groove,sux with paper patched.

Not true.

The Creedmoor m1885s have MUCH heavier contour barrels than the standard grade 45-90 Hunter you own. The Creedmoor barrels are also half round. Also the stocks are different. The also weigh about 50% more. And, I believe Badger has made all the BPCR and Creedmoor barrels of Browning.

Really not even the same rifle except for the action itself.

Basically, the 1885 Creedmoors are simply the Browning 1885 BPCR Silhouette model with a 34" tube.

My barrel IS a Badger. Creedmore rifles had to weigh in at just a hair less than 10 lbs. I've seen a few Sharps Creedmores and they also have long (34") slender barrels. My rifle weighs in at 9.9 lbs. Creedmore weight.

and my rifle is a Winchester NOT a Browning. HOWEVER I gave Davidsons a call and it is NOT a Traditional Hunter, nor is it listed as a Creedmore. It has a 34" barrel and is listed only as a "Limited Edition" and that only 375 were made sos it is an open question as to just what designation it is besides "Blackpowder Only"
My camera crapped out and I don't have a recent pic of my setup with the completed sticks and the scope mounted, but you get the idea:
[Linked Image]

I am waiting on dies from Midway USA so I can eventually load up some 300 gr. Barnes X bullets in it.
Nice Rifle!! I am a bit surprised that you didn't really wring out the Lyman sight. Mine shoots superbly using the tang. Have a riot wid dat cannon!
You know, I thought about using the irons for quite a while (that is what I originally intended), but I am so much better with the Weaver that it would be silly not to. I have had the rifle since May and haven't had a chance to shoot any big game with it and it is driving me crazy!
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
My barrel IS a Badger. Creedmore rifles had to weigh in at just a hair less than 10 lbs. I've seen a few Sharps Creedmores and they also have long (34") slender barrels. My rifle weighs in at 9.9 lbs. Creedmore weight.

and my rifle is a Winchester NOT a Browning. HOWEVER I gave Davidsons a call and it is NOT a Traditional Hunter, nor is it listed as a Creedmore. It has a 34" barrel and is listed only as a "Limited Edition" and that only 375 were made sos it is an open question as to just what designation it is besides "Blackpowder Only"

I am fully ware of what the 1870s definition of a "Creedmoor" rifle and the specs. My point was that it is not what the current Miroku made Winchester 1885 "Creedmoor" model is NOW..

The current NRA long range creedmoor match rules have long allowed guns up to 15 lbs. That is why the Winchester Creedmoor 1885s weight about 12 lbs. and have barrels a LOT heavier than your rifle.

Here is a link to Winchester page for the Creedmoor. Note the specs and the pic.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534121

Really nothing like your rifle except it has an 1885 action.

And also, except for the barrel length the Creedmoor model is IDENTICAL to the orgional Browning BPCR Silhoutte guns of the mid 1990s. They should be- the SAME factory made them.

As a matter of fact- Winchester is still making a few of the 30" BPCRs-

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534169

And BTW, if you compare the rifling pattern in your Miroku made "Winchester" to a genuine Badger barrel you will see REAL quick your gun does not have a Badger tube on it.

Nothing wrong with that- the Miroku barrels are just fine. But it is not a Badger.

I bought one this year a Browning 45/70 the gun was built in 1993, it's got the octagon barrel the steel crescent butt plate, the tang sight and the prettiest wood I'd ever seen on a similar rifle. I'll have to post a few pictures of it. I loaded up some 475 grain cast bullets at moderate velocities and it thumps you pretty good. I would imagine it would put the hurt out on the other end too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mike

Mike
I really like the 1885's. I have a few of them, and I also have a nice Sharp's replica in 45-70. However my new favorite 1885 is a Low Wall in 45 Colt. I actually like it better for a hunting rifle than the High Wall's. A 38-55 in a High Wall would be a great hunting rifle. But I think the 45 Colt would be as effective on deer sized game out to 200 or 250 yards(as the 38-55-or close), and is a better carry rifle in my opinion. I know I really like mine. And with a bullet that I cast it shoots very well. I am thinking about shooting black powder loads in the Low Wall. Hopefully I can find an accurate load.

When I deer hunt with my 45-70 High Wall's I have a Gallery Load I worked up to shoot small game with. With the longer barrel the load is basically silent when shooting at small game to fifty yards. It is so quiet that when you pull the trigger I can hear the hammer drop. Tom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is an original (mostly - new barrel) and one of my usual, dink, mulie bucks.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by BrentD

Here is an original (mostly - new barrel) and one of my usual, dink, mulie bucks.

[Linked Image]

"DINK"?? Looks like fresh meat to me??

What cartridge is that beauty?? I would love to have one like that. Tom.
It is meat for sure. Or rather it was meat.

The cartridge is a .38-72. Loaded with 72 grs of Swiss 1.5fg and a 300 gr flat-nosed paper patched bullet. Works pretty well for me. It, and an original Ballard Pacific will be antelope hunting this year.

Brent
© 24hourcampfire