Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Goat Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I guess I have finally matured enough to purchase a sigle shot because I want to. My home state of Louisiana allows the use of exposed hammer single shot rifles of 38 caliber and larger for use in our "primitive weapons" deer seasons. Last year I purchased and sucessfully used a Knight KP-1 in 45/70 for this arrangement and was happy with it. During the last year I have really taken a shine to the old 38/55 and started looking for a way to use it in the "primitive weapons" deer season. Then I find out that Winchester has made some runs of them in the High Wall in the last few years. A trip to one of the auction sites really gets me going and now I have an 1885 High Wall Short Hunter ordered. It comes with a 22" barrel and a tang sight. I realize that most of the posts around here seem to be centered on the Ruger No.1 but wondered if the High Wall will permit my entry into the "single shot club?"
I decided to go ahead and spend the money for the High Wall because every man needs at least one gun to be proud of. I have myself convinced that it has enough class that I will want to hunt with it outside of the "primitive weapons" seasons. I already load for the 38/55 and find it to be a pleasure to shoot and quite authoritive on woods range whitetails. What do you think of the 1885? Thanks for your replies.
Goat

"I know you believe that you understand what you think that I said...
But I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
( A quote of my Father)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Goat, I've got a Brng 85 in 45/70 that I've hunted with for about 14yrs. We also can use the exposed hammer thing. I had a .35whelen NEF for a while and it did very well. The 85's are accurate and I use mine for more than just the Primative season. A friend of mine has the 38/55 and likes it. This year I'll hunt with a low wall Brng in .357 during the primative season. Good luck with yours...

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Goat-

I have a Browning 1885 in 45-70, I put an Omega scope on it, which helps with eye relief. It is very accurate. I generally go to MS each year and I wanted it for their PW season, I didn't get to go last year, but it'll make the trip this year. My Browning has a nice comfy pad on the end which is really nice at the range. I am well pleased, and I trust you will be also.

They are fine rifles, enjoy.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shoot a 45-90 High wall. Blackpowder solely. Shoots great ONCE you get the load right. You'll have fun and yeah, seeing as how the 1885 FAR pre-dated the Ruger, you are in the single shot lunatics association.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Goat,

I see no reason for anyone with a falling block action (or even rolling block, for that matter...) not to be allowed into the 24HCF-SSLA. smile Now, break-action shotgon actions... That just might be a different matter. grin

I have Browning B-78's in .405 Win and .300 H&H, and 1885's in .38-55, .243 Win, and .45 LC.(Oops! forgot the 1885's in .325 WSM, 7mm WSM, and .223...) Also, a C Sharps Hi-Wall in 40-70 Sharps Straight. smile

Too bad that none of those are legal in Michigan... (For a Primitive Firearms Season...) frown I do wish we had a Primative Firearms season where these were legal... If only in pistol cartridges... You guys are lucky down there...

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B2

S
S
I've been shooting a Browning 1885 for well over 15 years now and have really enjoyed it. Finally had to put a scope on it about 3 years ago due to eyesight. I have killed a load of deer with it. My only gripe about it is the length. It is very cumbersome in a tree stand. That's why I finally just broke down and got a little Handi-Rifle and use it for deer hunting. The short hunter sounds interesting.

How picky are your law enforcement folks on the primitive weapons caliber? Mississippi's wildlife department made that same .38 caliber minimum mistake Louisiana has made. As you know, a .38-55 is smaller than .38 caliber. .38-55's were selling really well that first year when single shots were allowed for primitive weapons, mostly by people who had no idea that technically, it was too small. Fortunately, the minimum caliber was reduced to .35 and that eliminated the "gray-area."

Last edited by skwerlkiller; 07/16/10.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My question would be how picky they are on the exposed hammer. 1885 ect. vs a Ruger #1-#3-SS and the logic supporting it.

I believe MS started out with period rifles and cartridges, the cartridge part has been dropped, why not the exposed hammer?

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
S
S
Getting to where we are in Ms. Primitive Weapons was a road with several twists. It started as a BPCR addition. Then the powers that be found out how little BPCR ammo was out there, so they went ahead and allowed smokeless powder. The pre-1900, exposed hammer, .38 or larger, single-shot requirements remained intact. So, everyone ran out and bought Handi-Rifles and Contenders. Much to many people's dismay, they discovered only after they bought Contenders that they were designed after 1900....ouch!

Within a few years, they decided to drop the pre-1900 part because for all applicable purposes, guns like the Contender were exactly the same as guns such as the Handi. So far as I know, they won't let anyone slide on that hammer issue.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
I've been a B-78 shooter for the last 34 years. Bought it new in '76. It's taken most of a hundred deer. And it still goes sub-MOA with loads it likes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 1885 is my favorite of all of my rifles. I have 2 in 38-55 and one in 38wcf. They are dead accurate, and continue to climb in value if they are original. The top one I just picked up from the Harry Sanford estate. shootin a High wall is the most fun you can have with your clothes on... grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Cartod; 07/17/10.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd really like one in .30/40, for some reason. I can't imagine why, though....................d:^)

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Could not agree more about the 30/40. I've had a 30/40 in a #3 for 15 years but wanted an exposed hammer. So last year purchased a G2 Contender and had MGM make a 30/40 barrel.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have two and have had three total. My first was a Browning. Sold it. My others are Winchesters. One in .223 Remington destined for a big bore rebore & the other a 300 Wsm which it will stay.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have the Win 1885 in 7 WSM. My most accurate rifle.... and I have 16 very good bolt guns. May take it to Wy this year for antelope and deer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have an original Hiwall that I had rebarreled to .30-40 (it was originally a .30-40, but then somebody pulled the original barrel and replaced it with a 20" barrel made from an '03A3 barrel. Why???? Looked like hell and kicked worse. I had a Shilen blank made into a #3 round 28" replacement). Also have an original Hiwall in .38-40 made in 1896, a Lowall .25-20 WCF made up from parts of 7 rifles and some aftermarket and homemade parts, and a C.Sharps Hiwall replica in .44-40 WCF. I love 'em all; my favorite rifles.

My older bro liked my .30-40 and the C.Sharps .44 so well that he had C.Sharps make him a .30-40; we're off to Big Timber in a couple of weeks to pick it up!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey there! I am new to the forums but I just bought a High Wall in May and am really excited about hunting whitetails with it this year. It is one of those Davidson's specials, a "Short Hunter" in .405 Winchester. I topped it off with a Weaver 1-3x scope and made a pair of shooting sticks out of some 1" dowels, leather and brass hardware. I adjusted the trigger down on mine and it is one of the best factory triggers that I have seen on a rifle.

Now if only November will get here!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here,two decent single shots
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Evil Twin, that looks just like my 1885 but with a longer barrel! Is it the "Hunter" model? What caliber?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
45-90. It would be the Creedmore but for the Lyman tang sight rather than a soule. Shoots REAL well with grease groove,sux with paper patched. The Sharps is an original 45-110 and it LOVES paper patched ammo but won't shoot a GG worth a tinker's damn.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
45-90. It would be the Creedmore but for the Lyman tang sight rather than a soule. Shoots REAL well with grease groove,sux with paper patched.

Not true.

The Creedmoor m1885s have MUCH heavier contour barrels than the standard grade 45-90 Hunter you own. The Creedmoor barrels are also half round. Also the stocks are different. The also weigh about 50% more. And, I believe Badger has made all the BPCR and Creedmoor barrels of Browning.

Really not even the same rifle except for the action itself.

Basically, the 1885 Creedmoors are simply the Browning 1885 BPCR Silhouette model with a 34" tube.

Last edited by jim62; 07/28/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

451 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 163bc, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,173
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.