Home
Posted By: redleg733 Youth rifle recommendation - 07/11/16
I have a good friend who is looking to buy an air rifle for his 7 year old daughter. Any recommendations for a youth model that is quality, but doesn't cost as much as centerfire rifle? Doesn't need anything top of the line, but also doesn't want his daughter to get discouraged about shooting by not being able to hit anything or shoot across the back yard. Thanks.

Adam
Weihrauch HW30s. Not cheap, but it has an excellent trigger and sights.
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Weihrauch HW30s. Not cheap, but it has an excellent trigger and sights.

This ^, or the R7 (Beeman version) buy once and be glad you did. Only problem I see is her having to borrow it back from Dad.....
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll pass the info along. I forgot to put this in the original post, but I think he wants a pump over a break barrel.
Posted By: JJHACK Re: Youth rifle recommendation - 07/13/16
Curious is this for a boy or girl? you mentioned daughter in the original post, but then said "he wants a pump"

Not that is matters that much, just curious. Pumps are deadly accurate and far easier to shoot then a break barrel. They have no recoil to learn to deal with. They can have amazing power levels as well. Depends how much you want to pump.

As a kid in the 60's I had a Sheridan Pneumatic pump rifle, you learned quick to take a carful shots, because the cost in physical effort to make the next shot was 8-10 more pumps. The Sheridan air rifle can easily shoot a 1" group at 30 yards. I think with the right pellet an experienced shooter can manage one enlarged hole with a good rest!

Scope mounting is a bit tricky with the hand hold needed for the pumping process. It is exactly where the scope goes on a pump rifle. For simple targets and plinking tin cans and such, 4-5 pumps is plenty. That many pumps is easy to manage as well. My 8 year old son could pump this Sheridan rifle 4-5 times. He was 80 lbs and about 10-11 years old before he could get all 10 pumps into the gun. He was tired and spent after shooting that rifle many times in session at full power.

There are really cheap mostly plastic pneumatics made, and then there is the Benjamin and Sheridan. You will be far better off buying the latter one time and they will have that wood and metal rifle for life.
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Curious is this for a boy or girl? you mentioned daughter in the original post, but then said "he wants a pump"

Not that is matters that much, just curious. Pumps are deadly accurate and far easier to shoot then a break barrel. They have no recoil to learn to deal with. They can have amazing power levels as well. Depends how much you want to pump.

As a kid in the 60's I had a Sheridan Pneumatic pump rifle, you learned quick to take a carful shots, because the cost in physical effort to make the next shot was 8-10 more pumps. The Sheridan air rifle can easily shoot a 1" group at 30 yards. I think with the right pellet an experienced shooter can manage one enlarged hole with a good rest!

Scope mounting is a bit tricky with the hand hold needed for the pumping process. It is exactly where the scope goes on a pump rifle. For simple targets and plinking tin cans and such, 4-5 pumps is plenty. That many pumps is easy to manage as well. My 8 year old son could pump this Sheridan rifle 4-5 times. He was 80 lbs and about 10-11 years old before he could get all 10 pumps into the gun. He was tired and spent after shooting that rifle many times in session at full power.

There are really cheap mostly plastic pneumatics made, and then there is the Benjamin and Sheridan. You will be far better off buying the latter one time and they will have that wood and metal rifle for life.

+1 I have a Benjamin that I got for Christmas when I was 10 - some 38 years ago. Still shoots like the day I got it. If your going to shoot any volume at all then a mild springer is the way to go.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Youth rifle recommendation - 07/13/16
I got my 7 yr old grand daughter one of these, sans scope. Size and weight (2.1 lbs) were the prime reasons I went this route. Heavier and higher quality rifles will follow when she's able to to handle them. A recently acquired Sheridan Blue Streak may be the next step.

[Linked Image]
Thanks again for the great info!

JJHACK, The rifle is for a young girl, he (the dad) is leaning toward a pump as he's worried the daughter [or even his wife:)]might have a hard time cocking a break barrel.

TMITCH, what is that purple rifle. I'm sure the daughter would go nuts for it. She's also 7.

Adam
Posted By: colodog Re: Youth rifle recommendation - 07/18/16
Pink 760 here
© 24hourcampfire