Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I have a good friend who is looking to buy an air rifle for his 7 year old daughter. Any recommendations for a youth model that is quality, but doesn't cost as much as centerfire rifle? Doesn't need anything top of the line, but also doesn't want his daughter to get discouraged about shooting by not being able to hit anything or shoot across the back yard. Thanks.

Adam

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Weihrauch HW30s. Not cheap, but it has an excellent trigger and sights.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregon45
Weihrauch HW30s. Not cheap, but it has an excellent trigger and sights.

This ^, or the R7 (Beeman version) buy once and be glad you did. Only problem I see is her having to borrow it back from Dad.....

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll pass the info along. I forgot to put this in the original post, but I think he wants a pump over a break barrel.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Curious is this for a boy or girl? you mentioned daughter in the original post, but then said "he wants a pump"

Not that is matters that much, just curious. Pumps are deadly accurate and far easier to shoot then a break barrel. They have no recoil to learn to deal with. They can have amazing power levels as well. Depends how much you want to pump.

As a kid in the 60's I had a Sheridan Pneumatic pump rifle, you learned quick to take a carful shots, because the cost in physical effort to make the next shot was 8-10 more pumps. The Sheridan air rifle can easily shoot a 1" group at 30 yards. I think with the right pellet an experienced shooter can manage one enlarged hole with a good rest!

Scope mounting is a bit tricky with the hand hold needed for the pumping process. It is exactly where the scope goes on a pump rifle. For simple targets and plinking tin cans and such, 4-5 pumps is plenty. That many pumps is easy to manage as well. My 8 year old son could pump this Sheridan rifle 4-5 times. He was 80 lbs and about 10-11 years old before he could get all 10 pumps into the gun. He was tired and spent after shooting that rifle many times in session at full power.

There are really cheap mostly plastic pneumatics made, and then there is the Benjamin and Sheridan. You will be far better off buying the latter one time and they will have that wood and metal rifle for life.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK
Curious is this for a boy or girl? you mentioned daughter in the original post, but then said "he wants a pump"

Not that is matters that much, just curious. Pumps are deadly accurate and far easier to shoot then a break barrel. They have no recoil to learn to deal with. They can have amazing power levels as well. Depends how much you want to pump.

As a kid in the 60's I had a Sheridan Pneumatic pump rifle, you learned quick to take a carful shots, because the cost in physical effort to make the next shot was 8-10 more pumps. The Sheridan air rifle can easily shoot a 1" group at 30 yards. I think with the right pellet an experienced shooter can manage one enlarged hole with a good rest!

Scope mounting is a bit tricky with the hand hold needed for the pumping process. It is exactly where the scope goes on a pump rifle. For simple targets and plinking tin cans and such, 4-5 pumps is plenty. That many pumps is easy to manage as well. My 8 year old son could pump this Sheridan rifle 4-5 times. He was 80 lbs and about 10-11 years old before he could get all 10 pumps into the gun. He was tired and spent after shooting that rifle many times in session at full power.

There are really cheap mostly plastic pneumatics made, and then there is the Benjamin and Sheridan. You will be far better off buying the latter one time and they will have that wood and metal rifle for life.

+1 I have a Benjamin that I got for Christmas when I was 10 - some 38 years ago. Still shoots like the day I got it. If your going to shoot any volume at all then a mild springer is the way to go.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got my 7 yr old grand daughter one of these, sans scope. Size and weight (2.1 lbs) were the prime reasons I went this route. Heavier and higher quality rifles will follow when she's able to to handle them. A recently acquired Sheridan Blue Streak may be the next step.

[Linked Image]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Thanks again for the great info!

JJHACK, The rifle is for a young girl, he (the dad) is leaning toward a pump as he's worried the daughter [or even his wife:)]might have a hard time cocking a break barrel.

TMITCH, what is that purple rifle. I'm sure the daughter would go nuts for it. She's also 7.

Adam

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,431
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.