Home
Posted By: ihookem deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/01/12
Does anyone here hunt around Dryden Ont. for deer? I ask cause I'm looking into an unguided hunt there. I can get a cabin for a week for 400 bucks. Seem loike a good time . I'd need to hunt Crown land of course. i can only hunt a few wmu like WMU 8. How is it up there?
Too darned crowded with American tourists from Vermont, Michigan, Connecticut, Wisconsin etc. Hard to find any decent crown land to hunt. That illegal deer that was shot here a few years back gave us some unneeded press.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/01/12
I shot his great great grandpa with Dad and Paul Krushe north of Minnetaki the fall of 1970. The antlers were in the tool shed and by the next spring the mice had chewed them up bad enough I never did anything with them.

I have a 14 point that overwintered OK at our hunting camp.Maybe this year will be the year.
Can I reserve a place in the deer "stand?" laugh You can bust a cap on the big guy. I just want to be there to see it.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/01/12
Back in March a snare on Transcanda by the Husky station in Dryden at 5:30 AM could have bagged a few deer.
Posted By: SKane Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/01/12
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Too darned crowded with American tourists from Vermont, Michigan, Connecticut, Wisconsin etc. Hard to find any decent crown land to hunt. That illegal deer that was shot here a few years back gave us some unneeded press.

I've hunted that area several times and I agree with the above assessment. Hunting that area is very much like hunting the WI northwoods.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/02/12
I know with all my rifles it may seem strange but I am thinking to use Dad's 303 for the first time for a lot of years. I miss him a lot this spring. Probably a bit because of the forced retirement.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/02/12
I am sure you folks know what you are talking about. It looks to me that the Crown land around Dryden is nearly endless. But, then again, I have never looked to hunt with a high power rifle either. Without giving away any secrets,how does one go about finding a spot? It seems bush roads, and trails are a plenty.
We hunted there the first week of rifle, last year.My buddy took a 230 lb. 10 point. Only deer we took. Country reminde me of northeren Maine. We mostly hunted beaver swamps and cuts. Not an easy hunt. Baiting is legal and most of the camps offer baited hunts. We stayed with Len and Nancy Davis, Bonny Bay camp, on lake Wabigoon. Nice people, and nice cabins.
We grew up in the area and to us crown land has all but disppeared around town. Once you get 30 miles out and away from main highways the crown land is more prevalent. I used to walk to hunt before I had a driver's license. Now the old home is within city limits.

Times change things and seldom for the better when it comes to wildlife habitat.

Just my jaundiced view.

Randy
20 some years ago, I shot my moose 140 yards from my back door. Not so much now. Deer have taken over the habitat close to civilization, but then, you can't hunt that close to civilization.
Randy,Time does change things. If the city limits you are refering are Barclay,that is another story. The deer seem to be increasing all over.I have joked of sitting on the front step,rifle, and beverage of choice both handy. Last summer I did see a deer cross King Street a stones throw from the step.In general however,it looks like you can people, or moose,not both.Good shooting with the trusty 303!
Originally Posted by medicman
I know with all my rifles it may seem strange but I am thinking to use Dad's 303 for the first time for a lot of years. I miss him a lot this spring. Probably a bit because of the forced retirement.

Ole meat in the pot, huh?
Yep. If that rifle could talk, I'd keep it locked up.... smile
Posted By: passport Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/02/12
I have a few buds that hunt Dryden and said its great, never said anything about too many guys. Most years they get 1 really good buck and the rest shoot average deer for that area.

I want to go soon. I do know that they drive close to an hour from the hotel where they stay to hunt,
Posted By: Rene Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/02/12
The deer herd in NW Ontario took a couple big hits with harsh winters and high wolf numbers. Still a decent hunt but quality has gone down overall in the past 5-10 years. Deer density in the crown land areas is low and hunting pressure is quite high in areas that non-residents can hunt. Non-residents shoot a lot of young deer, which baffles me since why would you travel and spend all that money for deer meat. Most are trophy hunters but will settle for a small 2 1/2 year old to say "I got my buck". Certainly this is not all non-resident hunters and resident hunters are just as bad. I think there is still some decent deer densities in unit 10 and 13 but non-res require a guide in 10 and there is no non-res season in 13. To find spots to hunt will be difficult but not impossible. The easier to access areas will often have hunters already there or planning to go there. Crown land is first come first served but disputes between hunters on crown land leave a bad taste in my mouth. That is why I own property and hunt there. I don't like to have to deal with disrespectful hunters. I had quite the experience last season trying to put my tag on a good 160 class buck on crown land.
Posted By: Rene Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/02/12
Back in early October I was very much in scouting mode. I was running trail camera's on my own property but I was also reaching out onto crown land areas. Armed with bait and trail camera's I would rotate camera's in some areas that I had history with and a few new areas I was curious about. It was during this process that I found a really great buck. We later called him Kapi for reasons that will soon become apparent.

It was around mid October when I went to a new area to pick up my camera and move on. I had captured picures of a couple younger bucks the last check and it was time to try a new area. When I got home to check the cards I found I had two nights of pictures of a buck with really long tines and awesome beams that were about 18-19" inside and still almost touched at the tips.

[Linked Image]

We had a target buck. The original spot had the perfect tree nearby as I always do when I scout just in case and I set up a climber and rearmed the area with a camera. We also set up another camera and bait on rock tops with a ground blind so we had two options. Things are looking up, we have a great buck in sight.

I decided not to bowhunt, I didn't want to blow this and besides, it would give both me and Deb a chance at him.

The opener.

Only heard one shot fired in first 2 hours. A heavy frost on grasses and bush just crackled when you moved at all. I had the perfect wind. I got settled and enjoyed the sunrise. Fog was moving in and out. I was debating making a grunt but decided to take this hunt slow. Then I hear a quad. It stops about 200 yards or so distant, close to where Deb is settled in her ground blind. Sure enough, 5 minutes later here comes an orange blob. O.K. I'm thinking this is crown land, hopefully he will leave once I anounce myself, worst case scenario he walks by then turns around, not the end of the world. I whistle to him when he get's directly in front of me, he is looking around but I am really high and well hidden in the spruce. I say "hey there". He just stares at me for awhile then dip his head and keeps walking. I then say excuse me but I'm hunting here? He continues his silence and keeps walking, so I watch. He leave's the trail and is heading towards my bait site. I still have a camera there too...lol. He stops at some trees about 20 yards away and he is fidgeting around the trees and the wind is wrong for him and he is stinking up my area. After about 10 minutes of fighting with his pack, his gun and god knows what else I see him sit into something, ahhhh. A climber, one that faces the tree, he goes up about 8 feet and faces the bait. That's it. We stay that way in silence for about 2 hours. He didn't have bino's and I was covering all entrances to the area. I was fighting a war of attrition in my mind, he will leave. I am first here, this should be my spot for today at least. I figured his stand was set up the day before and he is likely the guy with the camper down the road. If so, he has about 20 other spots he hunts as well. I checked the entrance to this area the day before and seen a fresh set of quad tracks, I knew the danger but I didn't think the worst could happen. I finally gave up, I couldn't enjoy the hunt. I spent the next few hours cleaning up the bait site, every last drop, and pulled my camera, he wasn't leaving. I got pictures of Kapi 3 hours before opening bell and with some new side views I could see he had huge mass as well......170+?

[Linked Image]

I later talked to the older hunter and his family who are camped a few miles away. He has been hunting the area for 26 years he says, last season was the first time he had not hunted there, he was from Kapuskasing. I tore a stip off him that morning and later apologized but still feel like he was wrong that morning. I figure it is better to work with these people than against them, I will be hunting in that area again I am sure.

After I pulled out on the opener I was checking on the area constantly and noticed no more traffic and went in to check/stillhunt. He had pulled out as well and was hunting other crown land spots he had set up. So I started hunting in there again and rebaited the area. I had some good sits but only seen a young 8 and flattops.

Saturday, Nov 5th. This day me and Deb have the right wind and we both are in there hunting and stayed till around noon then left to go for lunch and let the dogs out to play for awhile. We go back around 1:30. I see a truck parked there and I walk in. Right off the bat I see an orange blob on the trail. I chat with him explaining I have been hunting here all week. He doesn't say too much but says they just got in from Hearst or Timmons. I walk by two more hunters and the last is sitting in the same tree the old fella was in on the opener right near my bait. They aren't leaving. Here we go again. The last hunter told me there were 7 of them and that they would be in there all week. He also said they have hunted there for 15 years. I tried pleading with the last guy and said why not take the first half of the trail and let me and my wife continue our hunt but no. He drove 15 hours and was not moving. Go find another place to hunt.

So I pull my climber and intend to come back after dark to pull camera's and ground blind and bait. Wrong move there. Should have pulled out the bait and camera that afternoon, may not have changed anything but then again it may have. When we get there that night we start filling up bags with bait. Something about baiting for others that bothers me. Anyway, while doing this Deb says, hey there is a gut pile here. Sure enough, a gut pile. Oh and a set of balls too. Damn. Could Kapi be gone? I figured at the time that it wasn't likely, probably that pesky 8 pointer but just the same, there was a chance.

Of course I was monitoring the area and noticed quickly that they did not return at all. Hmmmm. Not good. Maybe they got the big guy and don't want to break the news to me and Deb. I started hunting there again but in different areas off the trail, twice bitten and all that. I brought in 4 trail camera's and put one on every major scrape in the area. During this period I seen that 8 pointer twice and a young 10 point both I knew were in the area and I got only those two bucks on the scrapes. After our first skiff of snow I scoured the area and located huge rubs, biggest I've ever seen and kind of figured out Kapi's core area and I have come to the conclusion that he was taken under my stand on the 5th. I was so close to getting this buck. Had I stayed in stand, or even if I sat regardless of the other hunter I think I would have had him as my stand covers the area so much better and all approaches.

Anyway, that is enough wine and cheese. Just thought I would share some of my interesting moments. A lot of discussion could be made about how to deal with this situation but in the end it is what it is. It is crown land and you have to deal with this type of situation.

There is a slight chance he is still alive and I will revisit the area but for now we are done hunting for this buck.
Posted By: Rog Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/02/12
You know we got the same thing out here,guys shooting all the little bucks (white tail).I tell'em all the time if ya wanna shoot a big buck quit shootin the little ones.I been shooting skinheads the last few years.If its just meat yer after one tastes as good as another.
So are you folks saying the deer are scarcer in the crown land hunting areas,but thicker near homes, and town?
Pretty much. The eating is easier for them around gardens and fields.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/03/12
Is the answer to hunt say, north of Red Lake, or further?
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/03/12
When I moved from there 10 years ago only the occasional deer was seen. I have no idea what it is like now.
North of Red Lake, you will see more caribou than deer, is my guess. Moose too.

There's deer to be had here in the Dryden area, but private land hunts seem to be more productive, if you can arrange for it.
The Red Lake example was the idea that if a hunter got as far as possible from "the Beaten Path" it would be better hunting. Just in case some of you are thinking,(Go south, stay the "bleep" in the states),if black powder, or shotgun hunting is your cup of tea,come on down to Iowa.Don't expect to have wide open spaces to yourself of course.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/03/12
What is the price of a foreigner deer tag in Iowa?
Randy, I am not sure. It should be online. Iowa DNR is the = to the OMNR. A friend that lives on Thunder Lake tell me one Iowa deer is worth six Ontario deer. Corn fed they are. If you are thinking cheap meat,I doubt if it would be the case.
Randy Missouri has some killer bucks, and tags are over the counter. Iowa is a draw state even for archery. Fom waht I've heard, you never get picked the first year, but will get a preferance point. We have taken some decent bucks in ND. Public land bowhunts tags were easy to get. Didn't go last year. Two or three bad winters really hurt the mulies. Now they have had an outbeak of EHD, really hurt some of the whitetails in western ND.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/03/12
With what I have read about taking a gun into or out of Canada I am staying away.

There are more deer where it's warmer anyways. At least here in the NE where the winter kill was the worst ever.
Unlike Canada I do not think borrowing a firearm in the US is such problem. That is if someone will loan one.
Taking a firearm into Canada is not a big deal. It took a grand total of twenty minutes at the border station, for four of us to get thru. They never even looked at the guns. I live in NE, Canada has some of the best deer hunting in north america.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/03/12
Originally Posted by Savage_99
With what I have read about taking a gun into or out of Canada I am staying away.

There are more deer where it's warmer anyways. At least here in the NE where the winter kill was the worst ever.

It's a cakewalk taking a rifle into Canada....it's all about collecting the $50 bucks, or whatever it is.I sail through....you fax the form to customs at point of entry,they know who you are before you get there.Done it so many times they have you on a revolving door.

The people are great in Canada,the country beautiful,the hunting uncrowded,and never had a bad time (although Saskatchewan F&G sucks eggs;they're like German SS).The deer are abundant,mostly,the hunting fun,and if you get lucky the one you kill will be HUGE!

Plus, there are wolves,bears, coyotes,elk,moose,partridges and other cool stuff....

Plus licenses are over the counter,and a good way to avoid the absolutely silly draw system prevalent in so many Western states today, that means you ain't hunting every year....maybe every 5-10 if you are lucky.

Ooohhh CANADA! smile
Posted By: Rene Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/03/12
Welcome to Canada. Getting guns across the border is no big deal for us Canucks going down to the US either. Just have your paperwork filled out properly and your good to go. Both countries have great hunting opportunities. I kind of like Oklahoma and Nebraska as somewhat sleeper US deer hunting states. I think it is easier to get tags in the US than it is in Canada. Your system of PP's is the best method by far! A US resident can't go hunt in BC, Alta and very limited area in Sask. Not fair.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/04/12
Rene it is true we US residents must be guided up there....this has been little problem for me,except in Saskathchewan and I don't go there anymore.I hate the stupid rules.

Alberta,Manitoba,New Brunswick,I'm "guided" technically, but am mostly left alone to do my own thing.I imagine Ontario is the same.

If I were a Canadian citizen,I'd spend every November in Alberta. smile
Ontario as far as I know, non-residents can hunt unguided for deer.
Posted By: SKane Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/04/12
Originally Posted by Savage_99

Poppycock. I've done it a dozen times and nary a problem.
In fact, the Canadian folks are a hell of a lot more cordial and accommodating than the US side. (when coming back)
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/04/12
Speaking of deer in the South,how is the Atikokan area? I hear of the fishing. How is hunting birds,moose, and deer there?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/04/12
I'm another American who hunts quite a bit in Canada and has never had a problem getting in or out with firearms.

I probably have hunted somewhere in Canada at least a dozen times since the present system started, and the only time the process took more than 15-20 minutes when entering was when a lonely guy at one of the tiny border stations between Montana and Alberta wanted to BS about shotguns after seeing that one of my two guns was an AyA sidelock. Took about 45 minutes to get through that time!
Posted By: BWalker Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/04/12
Once again Savage 99 has proven himself to be a complete farking idiot.
Having owned a business in Canada for 6 years, I likely have had the opportunity of crossing the border more than everyone in this thread combined. The Canadian Border Services have been a joy to deal with and I have never had problems crossing, unlike their thug counterparts on the US side.
As for hunting around Dryden. There is still good hunting, but one must really work for it by getting a long away from roads via foot or by boat. Hunting pressure on crown land is ridiculous to the point I stopped hunting the area a few years back.
In parts of Ontario a guide is not needed, but one must look at the hunting unit maps on the MNR's website to find out. In general the area along the MN border and north to Nestor Falls is Non Residents guided only and I think Atikokan would fall in this area
BWalker,Just curiosity,how many times have you crossed?
Posted By: BWalker Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/04/12
Sometimes several times in one day and at the least 3 times per week for 5 months of the year for 6 years.
You were no stranger to them. Were you on a first name basis?
Posted By: BWalker Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/05/12
Pretty much.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/05/12
BWalker, Did you own a fishing/hunting camp? Where was the business?
Posted By: Rene Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/05/12
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Speaking of deer in the South,how is the Atikokan area? I hear of the fishing. How is hunting birds,moose, and deer there?

The fishing is good everywhere in NW Ontario. I guess it all depends on what lake your on and what your preference is for fish but there are plenty of great lakes with public launches. Not sure you can find any better fishing on the planet really. I used to live on lake Superior in Marathon and that area is pretty wild too.

Game in atikokan..... Grouse numbers are low to medium but on the upswing. Ducks and geese are not as common or easy to hunt but there are some opportunities, not many hunting them around here. Bear are in good numbers like everywhere it seems. Wolves are high in number. Moose is doing reasonably well. Pretty darn good moose country. Deer are around but in pockets here and there. The closer to Rainy Lake you get the higher the density generally. There are deer on all the logging road systems and around them but some of the more fringe areas seen pretty serious decline in the last 5 years. A lot of locals do quite well year after year on local areas, mostly day lake rd south and Flanders rd south to Lac le croix. The hunting pressure in not as tough as the Dryden area. Me and my wife hunted there a 4-5 years ago for a week in late november and you could see the evidence of the hunting pressure. The pressure was still on too. It was nuts. The town of Atikokan itself has a small but growing population of deer and a few good bucks have had their picture taken in peoples yards...lol.
Posted By: BWalker Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/05/12
Yes, between dryden and Kenora.
Posted By: ihookem Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
Sounds like I'll just hunt Upper Michigan. Closer and easier. Sure would like to hunt Canada. Maybe black bear someday instead of deer.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
Rene

That Flanders South road sees lots of traffic. I am in to Lac la Croix twice a year teaching Medical First Response courses
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
ihookem,"Just" hunting Michigan's U P sounds good to me, but I have not been there either. Our preacher's father is from that area. When I asked him why he left, he said, "I needed to make a living". If our good Canadian friends ever get smart, and kick me out, I think I'd look into the U P.
Yo kin keep a'comin' as long as yo reespect and appreciate our country. wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
Brother Keith, I thank you kind folks for the Northern hospitaly! I was respecting, and loving the country, and the people when you were a babe in arms. This being a family forum, I will say nothing about the gleam in your father's eye.Youth must be served, however. They used to say you are getting old when your doctor, minister, and police are younger than you.RETIRED police/preachers are younger than I! Back to the respect. I shall strive to keep the appreation, and respect ongoing! If we all do that both ways,we can keep the War of 1812 in the history books where it belongs.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
Sheesh Wabigoon I didn't know you were about in 1812 eh! smile
Posted By: Rene Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
Sure does but things get better when you get back off the beaten path a bit. It is a long road with a lot of tributaties. You should talk to OPG in Atikokan about offering a first responders course to the ERT team members there, we could use it.
Posted By: ihookem Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/12/12
Wagigoon, da U.P. is jus sout of da big lake der hay. Can't be too much different. Would love ot get to Canada again sometime. Went to Quetico in 1998 and was very good fishing. Went to Saint Agnace in east U.P. then into Canada. It was a very simple life style in Canada, small houses in Soo Saint Marie. Nice and simple. I wonder if all Canada i like that. Course this was 25 years ago. Around here it's taxes that kill. Honestly I look at land for sale around Atikokan online. The land is reasonable. Is it Crown land I'm looking at?
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/13/12
Crown land is typically not for sale, but leased and remains the posswssion of the crown. There are exceptions but is generally the case.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/13/12
Randy, I think that is why I feel tired.Eh? ihookem, My grandparents built our modest place in NW Ontario. If you decide to buy, and build, take $$$$$$. Our place is a curse, and blessing at the same time. I have learned a few things about Canada, and a lot about the US of A while being outside it. The CBC news is intresting. Like folks talking about you not knowing you can hear. The elder Bush was dismissed as of course a "Texan." I thought,WHAT? Everyone from Texas is too stupid to be president?
Posted By: ihookem Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/16/12
Wabigoon ,What is your cabin like ? How much land ya got?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/16/12
ihookem. I sent a PM. Not to discourage anyone from having a fishing or hunting place, but,the old story is by the time you cut the grass, nail down the loose boards,ect, it is time to go back. Folks that go to a camp fish, and hunt more. I will say that we have met many nice local people over the years. That is worth more than fish, and game. Friends have been to children's graduations, and just to see us from Ontario. Different folks have different resources, and ideas. Good luck! If you think hunting bull moose is hard-----.
You could hire a retired local to cut your grass and nail down the loose boards for a good fishing trip on Butler Lake. wink
Brother Keith, Are you job hunting? I do not know how you do it, but I react like a loony tunes cartoon character when you yank my chain. I'll wager you were a force to be reckoned with as a witness for the Crown.
Sooner be a witness for the Lord, but I did have my day in court -- every dog does have his day. wink
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/16/12
That trip to Butler Lake was my first real adventure. I was really young and we left the dock in Wabigoon and did the trip in and out in a day.

Carl took us in his boat. We saw deer, moose and duck families. Were you there Keith? I only remember Mom, Carl and I but that seems odd no one else in my memory. It was the first time I was in a boat with a steering wheel.
Your young memories are better than mine. I remember walking in to Dore Lake in the winter with Carl, but not Butler.
Butler Lake eh? I would like to try Paulson some time again. It has been years since I've been there. It gets to be a weed bed late in the year. Once in Butler,I seem to never miss getting to Whitefish, call it a bay, or a lake. My wife was stacking the pickerel up like cordwood in Mud Bay at the NW corner of Whitefish some years ago.More years than I like to think about. Randy's reference to ducks makes me think of watching the Mallard hen, and ducklings dive before the boat in the channel into Butler, then bob up in order behind the boat. You fellows are making me homesick.
m'on back.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/17/12
I guess I gave fair warning, so, If we make it to Butler, I'm wondering if the penchant for snacking from the bait pail is a family trait? Or maybe I should just bring nightcrawlers, and leeches. (I am not sure about the winkie things. Shakespeare got by without them,they look a bit like a crutch. (Just think that I am smiling broadly.)( You are going UNARMED I HOPE!)
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/17/12
Guess I'm a late-comer to this thread.

Been making trips to Ignace to fish since 1974.

We hardly EVER see a whitetail track out in the bush. Moose......yes. Whitetail...........no. Always figured they couldn't weather the wolves very well.

Last trip up (June 2010) we did see about 3 or 4 whitetail, including one velvet buck that appeared to have some potential going on. But, unless there's a secret I don't know aboot, I'd hate to drive the 1300 miles each way and pay to try to tag a wallhanger.

Just one man's limited observation.
Yoder409,I have been to Ingace, but never fished the area,save the English River for a short time. What lakes have you fished, and what time of year. Good luck there? 1300 miles each way? About where do you live?
I spent ten and a half hours in court in Ignace today, and my brain is numb -- there! I admitted on a public forum that I am a numb-skull. laugh

Ignace doesn't have the deer population that Dryden area has. Fishing there is superb though. Lakers and Pickerel. Who cares about Northerns, but let's not start that again. wink
Keith,

You mention that Ignace does not have the deer population of Dryden. I only hunted the Ignace area a couple or three times, probably in the early '70's. Actually we hunted in the Clearwater West Lake area which is north of Ignace. At that time whitetails were abundant, probably more so than moose.

Do you know whether there has been a decline in the whitetail population in the Ignace area or have deer numbers increased to a greater degree around Dryden?

Have always thought I might like to hunt deer in the western part of Ontario. When I was younger and had the drive to travel I either didn't have the time or the money to do so. Now those things are available the thoughts of driving 1,000 or 1,100 miles to hunt deer turn me off the idea.

Must be the evolution of a hunter. Last fall both the s-i-l and I turned down opportunities to take deer because they were simply meat animals and we didn't want to get our hands dirty. This was within 150 miles of home.

Jim
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/17/12
Your young memories are better than mine. I remember walking in to Dore Lake in the winter with Carl, but not Butler.

You might have been in school as I was very young.
The number of antlerless deer tags available in the two WMUs near Ignace would indicate there is not the abundance of deer there compared to Dryden. 1100 surplus tags in 008 and 005 as opposed to 225 for 012A and 015A.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/17/12
My wife and I worked in Ignace in the 70's. We put the canoe in at Ignace and three days and 22 portages later we were at White Otter Lake. Three weeks later Keith picked us up at Dyment and it turns out my wife somehow got pregnant on the trip. smile

On that trip we saw lots of deer but it was much closer to Atikokan.

Randy, No jokes about age here.Just the thought that the 70's don't seem that long ago. do the math, however, and it has been 40 years. Lot's of things can change,stay the same, or even change back.
Posted By: Itasca Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/17/12
Hi there
I am still fishing White Otter. We come in from the south however.
Terrific fishing & IMO the most beautiful lake in Ont.
I heard tell from one of my flatlander cousins that they didn't like NW Ontario, cause all we had was lakes, rocks, and trees. Wasn't any pretty fields to be seen. blush
Brother, More for the rest of us to enjoy. Having said that, "Everything is beautiful, in it's own way".Sloppy stinking liquid hog manure, makes a corn plant tuck on a bib, and makes it's mouth water, so to speak. I understand NW Ontario was conserded a wasteland untill the minerals were discovered building the Canadian Pacifc Railway.A motel clerk in Missouri told me Iowa was dull becouse of all the crop fields. At $10,000 an acre someone must like it.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by Itasca
Hi there

No arguments there my friend. We had a couple days when the water was like glass and we could see the bottom at 200 ft. We left at thr NW side on the Turtle River through Scmirch, Bending, and Stormy as well as dozens of unnamed lakes and rivers etc. We packed rice but othewise lived off the land. It was my wife's first off road canoe trip and she was the best first mate with whom I have been in the bush.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Yoder409,I have been to Ingace, but never fished the area,save the English River for a short time. What lakes have you fished, and what time of year. Good luck there? 1300 miles each way? About where do you live?

We fish out what's called the North Road. Mostly Arethusa and Flatrock lakes. Generally we go the first week of August. But last time was the 2nd week of June and fishing was better.......bugs were worse. We drive in from Pennsylvania.
Posted By: Itasca Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/18/12
Originally Posted by medicman
Originally Posted by Itasca
Hi there

No arguments there my friend. We had a couple days when the water was like glass and we could see the bottom at 200 ft. We left at thr NW side on the Turtle River through Scmirch, Bending, and Stormy as well as dozens of unnamed lakes and rivers etc. We packed rice but othewise lived off the land. It was my wife's first off road canoe trip and she was the best first mate with whom I have been in the bush.

Did you stop & check out the castle? Thats always interesting.

There are the remains of an old POW camp near the castle also.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/19/12
Yes to both. The castle was original then. I hear they had the Junior Rangers spend a summer working on it since. we camped in the bay just north of the castle which faces south. We were there three days swimming, fishing and just enjoying the break. The MNR had a CO that flew between Manitouwadge and the Manitoba border back then.

As we travelled in we picked up metal and glass garbage to take out of the bush.(Still a pet peeve of mine) He stopped to see what we were up to while we were on the beach. It was supper time so we gave him fresh fish and rice with some wild onions and blueberries for desert as well as a few cups of coffee.

He inquired how we were disposing of our garbage and I told him of our cleanup. He took the bag we had collected with him and stopped twice more on he route we left with him for a repeat coffee and garbage run. He was a great guy and obviously well chosen for the job.

The POW camp was obvious although falling apart. Pretty safe place to store prisoners. I found the log chutes fascinating and climbed on them a bit but in the middle part they were pretty wrotten so that was that. I really should try to find some of the slides I shot and see if there is some way to post them. You would see a difference no doubt.

Randy
Any of you fellas familliar with Shoal Lake Lodge? We're staying with them this year.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/23/12
Brother Keith, Would you fill us in on the illegal buck? I sort of remember that. You may want to avoid more press. Was that in 2004?

Illegal Dryden Buck
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/24/12
That is an interesting site with lots of names from my youth and not so youthful years.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/24/12
Randy, have you been to Jack Robinson's private collection, or museum at Dyment? He has a lot of intresting items there. A CN caboose, an Edsel, and more old stuff than you can shake a stick at.
His son in law is kind of overseeing it now, I think.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/24/12
Brother Keith, I left a family plate for the collection two years ago, or so. Jack, and his wife were finishing the new house closer to the road then. Any favorite items Jack has taken under wing? My cousin reasembled the Massy Harris cream separater someone had taken apart. Us old Iowa farm boys are usefull for something,----- every now, and then.
Posted By: medicman Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/29/12
Jack is an old friend but I haven't seen them for 10 or 12 years. I gave him a dog 15 years ago that turned out really well. Unfortunately his brother Ken (who was a really good friend) ran it over and killed it. Jack is a first rate kind of guy.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 05/30/12
ihookem, your thread has gotten a wee tad bit highjacked. We are learning a lot of other neat stuff however.
Posted By: ihookem Re: deer hunting Dryden Ont. - 06/04/12
It happens all the time. Never stays on track too long, later.
© 24hourcampfire