Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You were no stranger to them. Were you on a first name basis?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Pretty much.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
BWalker, Did you own a fishing/hunting camp? Where was the business?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Speaking of deer in the South,how is the Atikokan area? I hear of the fishing. How is hunting birds,moose, and deer there?

The fishing is good everywhere in NW Ontario. I guess it all depends on what lake your on and what your preference is for fish but there are plenty of great lakes with public launches. Not sure you can find any better fishing on the planet really. I used to live on lake Superior in Marathon and that area is pretty wild too.

Game in atikokan..... Grouse numbers are low to medium but on the upswing. Ducks and geese are not as common or easy to hunt but there are some opportunities, not many hunting them around here. Bear are in good numbers like everywhere it seems. Wolves are high in number. Moose is doing reasonably well. Pretty darn good moose country. Deer are around but in pockets here and there. The closer to Rainy Lake you get the higher the density generally. There are deer on all the logging road systems and around them but some of the more fringe areas seen pretty serious decline in the last 5 years. A lot of locals do quite well year after year on local areas, mostly day lake rd south and Flanders rd south to Lac le croix. The hunting pressure in not as tough as the Dryden area. Me and my wife hunted there a 4-5 years ago for a week in late november and you could see the evidence of the hunting pressure. The pressure was still on too. It was nuts. The town of Atikokan itself has a small but growing population of deer and a few good bucks have had their picture taken in peoples yards...lol.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yes, between dryden and Kenora.

IC B2

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Sounds like I'll just hunt Upper Michigan. Closer and easier. Sure would like to hunt Canada. Maybe black bear someday instead of deer.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rene

That Flanders South road sees lots of traffic. I am in to Lac la Croix twice a year teaching Medical First Response courses

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
ihookem,"Just" hunting Michigan's U P sounds good to me, but I have not been there either. Our preacher's father is from that area. When I asked him why he left, he said, "I needed to make a living". If our good Canadian friends ever get smart, and kick me out, I think I'd look into the U P.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yo kin keep a'comin' as long as yo reespect and appreciate our country. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, I thank you kind folks for the Northern hospitaly! I was respecting, and loving the country, and the people when you were a babe in arms. This being a family forum, I will say nothing about the gleam in your father's eye.Youth must be served, however. They used to say you are getting old when your doctor, minister, and police are younger than you.RETIRED police/preachers are younger than I! Back to the respect. I shall strive to keep the appreation, and respect ongoing! If we all do that both ways,we can keep the War of 1812 in the history books where it belongs.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sheesh Wabigoon I didn't know you were about in 1812 eh! smile

Lester Roloff
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Sure does but things get better when you get back off the beaten path a bit. It is a long road with a lot of tributaties. You should talk to OPG in Atikokan about offering a first responders course to the ERT team members there, we could use it.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Wagigoon, da U.P. is jus sout of da big lake der hay. Can't be too much different. Would love ot get to Canada again sometime. Went to Quetico in 1998 and was very good fishing. Went to Saint Agnace in east U.P. then into Canada. It was a very simple life style in Canada, small houses in Soo Saint Marie. Nice and simple. I wonder if all Canada i like that. Course this was 25 years ago. Around here it's taxes that kill. Honestly I look at land for sale around Atikokan online. The land is reasonable. Is it Crown land I'm looking at?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Crown land is typically not for sale, but leased and remains the posswssion of the crown. There are exceptions but is generally the case.

Lester Roloff
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Randy, I think that is why I feel tired.Eh? ihookem, My grandparents built our modest place in NW Ontario. If you decide to buy, and build, take $$$$$$. Our place is a curse, and blessing at the same time. I have learned a few things about Canada, and a lot about the US of A while being outside it. The CBC news is intresting. Like folks talking about you not knowing you can hear. The elder Bush was dismissed as of course a "Texan." I thought,WHAT? Everyone from Texas is too stupid to be president?

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Wabigoon ,What is your cabin like ? How much land ya got?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
ihookem. I sent a PM. Not to discourage anyone from having a fishing or hunting place, but,the old story is by the time you cut the grass, nail down the loose boards,ect, it is time to go back. Folks that go to a camp fish, and hunt more. I will say that we have met many nice local people over the years. That is worth more than fish, and game. Friends have been to children's graduations, and just to see us from Ontario. Different folks have different resources, and ideas. Good luck! If you think hunting bull moose is hard-----.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
You could hire a retired local to cut your grass and nail down the loose boards for a good fishing trip on Butler Lake. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Brother Keith, Are you job hunting? I do not know how you do it, but I react like a loony tunes cartoon character when you yank my chain. I'll wager you were a force to be reckoned with as a witness for the Crown.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Sooner be a witness for the Lord, but I did have my day in court -- every dog does have his day. wink

Brother Keith

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (257 roberts, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,448
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.