Home
Posted By: clattin Leaf River Quebec Caribou?? - 01/26/13
My dad, who is now 71, has always dreamed of going caribou hunting. I told him that now is the time if he really wants to do it. We initially talked about going to Alaska but he called last night after talking with the Cabelas Outfitter service and suggested we go to northern Quebec and hunt the Leaf River Herd. I've been doing some research online and it looks like the numbers are still ok (~400,000 animals) but are way down over the last decade or so.

The real advantage as I see it is that we can drive to Montreal and then fly from there. That takes a big variable out of the equation (including additional cost for transportation of hunters and meat/trophy).

Of course the guy from Cabelas told him that their outfitter has about a 150% success rate (hunters can shoot 2 caribou).....is that a realistic expectation? My understanding is that the Leaf River Herd isn't so migratory as the George River herd.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
I thought for sure someone would have some suggestions here.......

Thanks
Chris
I can not speak for anyone else, but Quebec does not get a lot, if any "chat", here.
I'm sure you have watched the many posts regarding firearms to Canada, and the troubles bringing game back.
The best of 'luck", at any rate, and maybe the ice is broke now.
Posted By: senior Re: Leaf River Quebec Caribou?? - 01/29/13
My cousin is an outfitter in NQ.
He tells me the herd was struggling but he has seen an increase of animals in the last number of yrs.
Yes, his hunters usually get two animals.

Feel free to contact him thru his website for questions or info.
http://www.highnorthoutfitting.com/
Three of us went to NQ in '07 and had a flat-out great trip. There were 12 hunters in the camp and we had 23 caribou by the third day. Several were really nice trophy bulls. We went with Mirage Outfitters and they were a class act. Not the cheapest, but sure no complaints about the quality of anything they provided: transportation from Montreal, guides, food, lodging, etc. Not sure what their status is now as these outfitters have their ups and downs. With regard to firearms into Canada, we went to Canada Customs a few weeks ahead and got our guns signed in with them, also did the paperwork ahead with US Customs to bring them back, no hassle. My brother tells me the Leaf River herd is down in numbers drastically at the moment, but often he's misinformed.
I would talk to some other booking agents as well.
Thanks for the great info! I'm a little concerned about the process of going and returning with firearms and coming back with meat. I've heard horror stories about long delays at the border and meat being confiscated.

Is there anything I can do to reduce these issues? We are planning on driving to Montreal from Michigan and then flying from there.

Thanks!
Chris
If you every thing RIGHT, the firearms SHOULD be only a minor issue.
Check the websites, and call customs, both sides.
I can't say anything about meat, I've never tried that.
If losing the meat is going to wreck the whole trip, perhaps you might eat some, and donate the rest to a good cause there.
Great....thank you!

Chris
Went in '07 when you could take two caribou. There were 6 of us in camp and 12 caribou were taken. We went with Jack Hume Adventures had a wonderful trip, would Highly Recommed them. The operation is run by Jack's son Richard who was very involved in the day to day operation including flying supplies into camp. One of the hunters in our camp was 74 he had no problem getting his bulls. I do think the limit is one caribou at this time. If you have any questions fell free to PM me. Go you won't regret it.
It's no problem bringing a firearm into Canada. Here is the web site with all the information you need -

Click Here

Print out the forms on the RCMP web site. Do not sign or date the form, as you'll need to do that in front of a customs official at the border. Pay your fee of $25 and you'll be on your way. You must keep your copy of the firearms declaration with you at all times, the firearm must be for your personal use and you must keep the firearms secured and in your possession at all times. The firearms declaration is good for 90 days. Also, you can bring 200 rounds of ammunition with you when entering Canada.

Returning to the U.S., when you declare that you're returning with game animals you'll be asked to fill out a form declaring what you are bringing into the U.S. There is no fee for this, but you'll need to go inside the customs office and fill it out.

The only other thing I can add is make sure we see some pictures of this hunt! I've always wanted to go to northern Quebec, as it looks like beautiful unspoiled country that hasn't been over commercialized.

Best wishes for a memorable hunt!
I'll second Jack Hume. He has a very good reputation and has been up there for a long time, not always the case with outfitters up there.Stay away from anything related or to do with a guy named Peter Palmer.
I just lookd up the location, I'm thinking you might want to pack your long johns.
Ive been to Mirage lodge 3 times and had a great time every time.Have shot 5 carbous best meat u will eat.An u sure don't need a mag for the job. In 2006 we had them in the parking lot at the lodge . We went Nov 27 hunt was Dec 1 till 4 of dec Food was great ,lodging was real great would give them a 5 star .We drove non stop 386 there a place to eat in sleep if needed . Gas get it when your at no less then 1/4 tank u will run out if u don't, Our trip 1800 miles one way 34 hr with 3 to 4 drivers
Great info all! Thank you! I think we're putting deposit money down today!

We'll be hunting with Ungava Adventures.....this guy has a really good reputation.

Thanks again!
Chris
Good choice.

I have hunted caribou three times in Quebec, once with Ungava Adventures. All three were good hunts, but the one with Ungava was the best.

As several people have already suggested, getting hunting firearms into Canada isn't a problem, but make sure you get the U.S. Custom form before you leave to prevent any trouble getting them back home. Theoretically, if your rifle are stamped "Made in U.S.A." there shouldn't be a problem, but many Customs agents don't know all the regs.

I don't know why anybody suggested there would be a problem with bringing the meat home. I've hunted caribou in various parts of Canada at least 10 times and never had any problem bringing the meat into the U.S.
Do I need to do anything to get back into the United States with our firearms after the hunt? Any documents I need to file first?

Thanks!
Chris
Yes, what MD referred to above is U.S. Customs and Border Protection Certificate of Personal Effets Taken Abroad. I think it shows proof of ownership prior to and therefore not purchased abroad. If your rifles etc are U.S. manufacture it should be necessary but it's very easy to obtain and you keep, I believe the only copy, with you. You probably know but, you'll need a passport. You'll have a great time.
Posted By: ribka Re: Leaf River Quebec Caribou?? - 02/03/13
Originally Posted by wildone
I'll second Jack Hume. He has a very good reputation and has been up there for a long time, not always the case with outfitters up there.Stay away from anything related or to do with a guy named Peter Palmer.

Hunted with Jack twice in the 1990's
Most reputable outfitter up in Quebec
Originally Posted by clattin
Do I need to do anything to get back into the United States with our firearms after the hunt? Any documents I need to file first?

Thanks!
Chris

Just keep your paperwork when you depart the US. I was up in Alberta in Nov goose hunting and no problem returning to the US.

FYI need your Canadian paperwork with you to purchase ammo up in Canada
Originally Posted by clattin
Great info all! Thank you! I think we're putting deposit money down today!

We'll be hunting with Ungava Adventures.....this guy has a really good reputation.

Thanks again!
Chris

Bring fishing gear for pike, brook trout and lake trout. Spoons, spinners and big jigs. Used to be fantastic fishing up in N Quebec
Second on the fishing gear (but no pike up there) Trout, arctic char, salmon and the biggest brook trout that you could come accross. The cleanest water, a shore lunch of char, potatoes and tea is hard to beat. Bring bug gear-the blackfies, mosquitos and bobby socks can hinder your enjoyment.
Yep bring two head nets and plenty of DEET

Remember DEET is hell on plastic

The fishing was so good that after 2 caribou trips returned and did a 10 day canoe float trip for brook trout with fly rods with my Dad. We caught over 100 brook trout 4lbs plus on streamers, deer hair mice, dry flies. Plus some BIG lake trout. I was fighting a 5 lb brookie and a huge lake trout came up from a deep pool and grabbed my trout. Fought for 40 minutes on a 7 wt and never saw him.

The brook trout we ate had stomachs full of lemmings

Saw wolves and some nice black bear up there. We were S west Caniapiscau

I went twice, 05 and 06. Both times driving to and flying in and out of Montreal. There is a lot of good info on these posts. A few thoughts:

-The parking area at the hotel in Montreal was prone to vehicle thefts. The local cops didn't seem too responsive to returning hunters who had no truck to drive home in. Ask your outfitter about it. They may have tightened security since I was there.

-Definitely bring fishing gear.

-Bring the best binoculars or spotting scope you can. You can see a long ways up there

-Consider bringing a 20 ga for Ptarmigan. There was an exceptional amount of birds up there. Once you tag out on Caribou, you will wish you had a shotgun. I brought my German Shorthair with me both times I went. For me, the bird hunting was more fun than the caribou hunting.

Have a great time. All of the prep work aside, you will be going to a place that few people see. Good luck!
Thanks again for all the great info!

My dad and I talked about taking fishing gear and/or a shotgun. I think we both decided to throw in a 20ga to hunt some of the ptarmigan but the fishing sure sounds fun. I could easily fit a small spinning rig in my gun case and a small box of spoons.

Thanks again!
Chris
Bring lots of spoons! As for the ptarmigan, they were the least afraid of people that I have come accross-even less than blue grouse. It was fun to see the flocks of snow geese feeding on blueberries-for some reason there seemed to be no blue phase where we were. I'd go back for the fishing alone, great part of the planet. We flew from Montreal to Kujjuaak, at that time the population was 666. Interesting place..
I'm pretty sure that's where we fly into as well........Kuujjuaq.

Can't wait!

In the midst of putting a pretty walnut stock on my Howa 1500 in .300 WM right now for this hunt. I know a synthetic stock is better for accuracy, but I just love the looks of a pretty wood stock. Somebody on here has their signature line say "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"...and I agree!

Chris
Good point

Forgot about the ptarmigan and thefts at the airport

Originally Posted by Partridge
I went twice, 05 and 06. Both times driving to and flying in and out of Montreal. There is a lot of good info on these posts. A few thoughts:

-The parking area at the hotel in Montreal was prone to vehicle thefts. The local cops didn't seem too responsive to returning hunters who had no truck to drive home in. Ask your outfitter about it. They may have tightened security since I was there.

-Definitely bring fishing gear.

-Bring the best binoculars or spotting scope you can. You can see a long ways up there

-Consider bringing a 20 ga for Ptarmigan. There was an exceptional amount of birds up there. Once you tag out on Caribou, you will wish you had a shotgun. I brought my German Shorthair with me both times I went. For me, the bird hunting was more fun than the caribou hunting.

Have a great time. All of the prep work aside, you will be going to a place that few people see. Good luck!
Only 1 time the last we seen Wolfs .Wish I had bought a wolf licence Had them with end 10 yards on the last hunt
Got a call from Cabelas today....sounds like Quebec is going to reduce the number of animals that can be taken on a tag from 2 to 1. Doesn't matter to me....I only need to shoot one to be happy. Just interesting.....

Chris
Clattin,
Shoot me a pm with your email address and I will send you my 2009 trip report that I typed up with links to pictures.

As for customs, just make sure to have all the documentats clearly filled out but NOT signed. They want you to sign in front of them.
© 24hourcampfire