Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by clattin
Great info all! Thank you! I think we're putting deposit money down today!

We'll be hunting with Ungava Adventures.....this guy has a really good reputation.

Thanks again!
Chris

Bring fishing gear for pike, brook trout and lake trout. Spoons, spinners and big jigs. Used to be fantastic fishing up in N Quebec

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Second on the fishing gear (but no pike up there) Trout, arctic char, salmon and the biggest brook trout that you could come accross. The cleanest water, a shore lunch of char, potatoes and tea is hard to beat. Bring bug gear-the blackfies, mosquitos and bobby socks can hinder your enjoyment.

Golden............
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Yep bring two head nets and plenty of DEET

Remember DEET is hell on plastic

The fishing was so good that after 2 caribou trips returned and did a 10 day canoe float trip for brook trout with fly rods with my Dad. We caught over 100 brook trout 4lbs plus on streamers, deer hair mice, dry flies. Plus some BIG lake trout. I was fighting a 5 lb brookie and a huge lake trout came up from a deep pool and grabbed my trout. Fought for 40 minutes on a 7 wt and never saw him.

The brook trout we ate had stomachs full of lemmings

Saw wolves and some nice black bear up there. We were S west Caniapiscau

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I went twice, 05 and 06. Both times driving to and flying in and out of Montreal. There is a lot of good info on these posts. A few thoughts:

-The parking area at the hotel in Montreal was prone to vehicle thefts. The local cops didn't seem too responsive to returning hunters who had no truck to drive home in. Ask your outfitter about it. They may have tightened security since I was there.

-Definitely bring fishing gear.

-Bring the best binoculars or spotting scope you can. You can see a long ways up there

-Consider bringing a 20 ga for Ptarmigan. There was an exceptional amount of birds up there. Once you tag out on Caribou, you will wish you had a shotgun. I brought my German Shorthair with me both times I went. For me, the bird hunting was more fun than the caribou hunting.

Have a great time. All of the prep work aside, you will be going to a place that few people see. Good luck!

C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks again for all the great info!

My dad and I talked about taking fishing gear and/or a shotgun. I think we both decided to throw in a 20ga to hunt some of the ptarmigan but the fishing sure sounds fun. I could easily fit a small spinning rig in my gun case and a small box of spoons.

Thanks again!
Chris

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for" Will Rogers
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Bring lots of spoons! As for the ptarmigan, they were the least afraid of people that I have come accross-even less than blue grouse. It was fun to see the flocks of snow geese feeding on blueberries-for some reason there seemed to be no blue phase where we were. I'd go back for the fishing alone, great part of the planet. We flew from Montreal to Kujjuaak, at that time the population was 666. Interesting place..

Golden............
C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm pretty sure that's where we fly into as well........Kuujjuaq.

Can't wait!

In the midst of putting a pretty walnut stock on my Howa 1500 in .300 WM right now for this hunt. I know a synthetic stock is better for accuracy, but I just love the looks of a pretty wood stock. Somebody on here has their signature line say "life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"...and I agree!

Chris

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good point

Forgot about the ptarmigan and thefts at the airport

Originally Posted by Partridge
I went twice, 05 and 06. Both times driving to and flying in and out of Montreal. There is a lot of good info on these posts. A few thoughts:

-The parking area at the hotel in Montreal was prone to vehicle thefts. The local cops didn't seem too responsive to returning hunters who had no truck to drive home in. Ask your outfitter about it. They may have tightened security since I was there.

-Definitely bring fishing gear.

-Bring the best binoculars or spotting scope you can. You can see a long ways up there

-Consider bringing a 20 ga for Ptarmigan. There was an exceptional amount of birds up there. Once you tag out on Caribou, you will wish you had a shotgun. I brought my German Shorthair with me both times I went. For me, the bird hunting was more fun than the caribou hunting.

Have a great time. All of the prep work aside, you will be going to a place that few people see. Good luck!

Last edited by ribka; 02/03/13.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Only 1 time the last we seen Wolfs .Wish I had bought a wolf licence Had them with end 10 yards on the last hunt

C
clattin Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Got a call from Cabelas today....sounds like Quebec is going to reduce the number of animals that can be taken on a tag from 2 to 1. Doesn't matter to me....I only need to shoot one to be happy. Just interesting.....

Chris

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Clattin,
Shoot me a pm with your email address and I will send you my 2009 trip report that I typed up with links to pictures.

As for customs, just make sure to have all the documentats clearly filled out but NOT signed. They want you to sign in front of them.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

439 members (12344mag, 204guy, 1badf350, 163bc, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 41 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,218
Posts18,504,079
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.