Home
Posted By: lotech model 70 bolt face pitting - 08/29/15
I have an old Model 70 with slight pitting on the bolt face around the firing pin hole. While the pitting is not to the point of presenting a hazard at this time, it's unsightly.

Anyone know if it's possible and safe to have such a condition corrected? If so, any gunsmith recommendations?

Good question for the gunsmith forum here.. Good luck with your old model 70..
Posted By: 22WRF Re: model 70 bolt face pitting - 08/29/15
have it micro welded and refaced.
Sounds like some brass with loose primer pockets were fired through the rifle causing some flame cutting.

I would think some welding and refacing should make it good as new.
Posted By: john843 Re: model 70 bolt face pitting - 08/29/15
I think I would contact Accu-tig in Alaska. (Fairbanks, I believe.)

John
Check around the perfect bolt may be out there, folks make a living parting them out, folks run em down till they need a part! Ive seen some rough looking jobs shoot like a house afire! You got to remember what the OLD Winchester folks ran thru em before the WP stamp went on! I seen old timers fill the case, tap it twice, pour more in, seat the bullet and bang away, I was young and dumb, now I would walk behind the truck before the hammer dropped! LOL the very best WinPoor
[quote=bsa1917hunter]Good question for the gunsmith forum here.
A+1 Take a good photo and hunt up a guy here that goes by Redneck! mod 70 guru.... v best winpoor
Mostly pitting around the firing pin won't hurt a thing. I wouldn't mess with it if it unless it is causing problems. Like excessive brass build up..if it's a hunting rifle it shouldn't get shot that much anyway...several of my varmint rifles have suffered from primer leak pitting and are still shooting, some on the 3 rd barrel....
Posted By: lotech Re: model 70 bolt face pitting - 09/01/15
Comments appreciated.
Posted By: Gusb Re: model 70 bolt face pitting - 09/01/15
Mine never looked that good but seems to work just fine (even better now with a new-old extractor).

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8971630/bsa1917hunter#Post8971630
© 24hourcampfire