Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus, assuming everything is working properly,ejection should be controlled by how smartly you move the bolt to the rear.

We've become a nation of BR shooters so lots of times we sit and move the bolts sedately while sitting at a bench,so ejection will be less spirited; but M70's (like any good CRF) were meant to be run hard and if it's working properly should toss a case across the room in rapid fire as you move the bolt smartly and hard to the rear.

If it isn't doing this you may have some debris in the slot that houses the ejector.

Whip that bolt back like you want to break it(you never will)...it should eject fine smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Gus, assuming everything is working properly,ejection should be controlled by how smartly you move the bolt to the rear... Whip that bolt back like you want to break it(you never will)...it should eject fine smile

Thanks for the feedback BobinNH. I�m probably babying it a bit too much, it is much better used with some authority. One curious thing I noticed (using snap caps before the range trip), when cycled with an unfired bolt it seems to have a bit more trouble. Maybe my imagination but if I load 2 snap rounds, and fire on each before ejecting everything seems fine, if I don�t fire and just cycle the rounds they don�t seem to eject as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus, keep an eye on your extractor too. That can cause irregular ejection as well..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Gus, keep an eye on your extractor too. That can cause irregular ejection as well..

Thanks BSA. Not knowing what I�m looking at, I always figured the extractor had it�s face reworked a little by the PO. Attached are a few iPhone photos, not sure if you can see things well enough to tell what�s going on there. I assume the pitting (which I worried about for a while) is maybe from a bad reload, loose primer at some point, etc.? But does the face of this extractor look like someone messed with it, maybe to make it snap more easily over a loose round dropped in - not in the magazine?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That one has seen a lot of use (probably the original). My 270 fwt's extractor went bad and I noticed the ejection wasn't as good as normal. It sounds funny, because when you think of poor ejection, your first thought is worn ejector. A good test is to slide a cartridge (or even just a piece of brass) into the extractor and bolt face with the bolt out of the rifle. If it holds the brass (or cartridge) in place, your extractor is good. There should be enough tension there to hold the brass when the bolt is held horizontally. Please refer to pics:

Very good extractor. Notice how it holds the cartridge out straight with minimal droop:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

An extractor with a tad bit more wear. Cartridge droops a little more than the one above:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When the extractor is really worn or broken, it won't even hold the cartridge. This will also have an effect on feeding and ejection...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That one has seen a lot of use (probably the original)...

Much appreciated info, BSA. Mine will hold a round but if I move the bolt around i can make the brass flop around and sag. Won�t fall out but not snapped in tight either.

I�ll shoot this thing a lot more before ever doing anything to the extractor but what are the options? Can one find the original part (NOS), or buy a high quality replacement and is serious gunsmith work required to replace it?

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gus, you can find very good condition used ones on ebay and occasionally Numrich or brownells. Usually they don't require much (if any) fitting work. They are easy to replace too. If yours is working, I'd keep using it. It will probably last for many more years. Also make sure your ejector isn't gummed up with crud. I remember you cleaned the heck out of that rifle after you got it, but it wouldn't hurt to double check to make sure it is clean and free from debris. Sometimes you have to strip it down a little further to get that gunk out..

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Gus, you can find very good condition used ones on ebay and occasionally Numrich or brownells. Usually they don't require much (if any) fitting work. They are easy to replace too. If yours is working, I'd keep using it. It will probably last for many more years. Also make sure your ejector isn't gummed up with crud. I remember you cleaned the heck out of that rifle after you got it, but it wouldn't hurt to double check to make sure it is clean and free from debris. Sometimes you have to strip it down a little further to get that gunk out..

Seems to eject better after reading BobinNH�s comment above smile I think the extractor could grab a bit better. I had thought I read something somewhere about some after-market extractor that was really high quality�

I think the gun/ejector is pretty clean but interesting enough, I was poking around in the chamber (with flashlight) where the bolt locks up and saw what appeared to be a piece of loose metal stuck in a small opening - right where the the barrel ends. Managed to fish it out with a small screwdriver and magnet (steel I guess) and it looks like maybe an old small piece of the extractor? Everything else looks really good and original in there (to my untrained eye anyway) so I�m not sure what kind of calamity could have happened? The bolt seems to function/lock up the same as before.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like the 1911. Your photography is also very nice Gus. I wish I had a better camera!!! You are also right about Bobin. He knows his chit when it comes to Winchester model 70's. I have him on speed dial grin. Great guy in general too!!

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gusb

Thanks BSA. Not knowing what I�m looking at, I always figured the extractor had it�s face reworked a little by the PO. Attached are a few iPhone photos, not sure if you can see things well enough to tell what�s going on there. I assume the pitting (which I worried about for a while) is maybe from a bad reload, loose primer at some point, etc.? But does the face of this extractor look like someone messed with it, maybe to make it snap more easily over a loose round dropped in - not in the magazine?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Those are iPhone photos?!!! Unreal. What version of the iPhone are you using? I need to chitcan my camera. Lol.

Eric

IC B3

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by EricM

Those are iPhone photos?!!! Unreal. What version of the iPhone are you using? I need to chitcan my camera. Lol. Eric

Thanks BSA/Eric - the close-ups of the bolt face are indeed iPhone with outside daylight from a window. My phone is a 5s, latest greatest (this week , anyway smile ). I too am blown away with what you can do using these things. My wife has never owned a �real� camera but these days she�s taking pictures everywhere with her iPhone. The main negative I see with the iPhone (at this point) is you can�t control depth of field. In the post with the 1911, the 2 shots showing the .45 and the bit of broken steel are iPhone, the other showing inside the the breech is my Canon/35mm lens (the real camera).

Last edited by Gusb; 06/28/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, thanks for the info Gus.

BSA MAGA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like a pretty serious piece of metal that came out.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by pal
That looks like a pretty serious piece of metal that came out.

Not easy to see in the photos but it almost looks like it was sheared off the face of the extractor at some point and just lodged in the little gap where the barrel ends - more or less out of the way.

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Getting ready for the black D752 Pachmayr recoil pad I have on order. Plugged up the old screws holes - with walnut no less smile. One odd thing I noticed early on when I first pulled the old recoil pad, was a large plug (skillfully executed) that almost looks factory. Could someone have drilled a Standard stock with the Featherweight holes, and plugged when they realized the mistake? I know many �collectors� never remove the pad/plate, but anyone seen anything like this before?

Also need an opinion on a sling for this gun. Thinking about the Brownells LATIGO Sling (1� or 1-1/4�) or maybe the Brownells Competitor Plus (military-like and seems to only come in 1-1/4� width). What�s more �traditional� and thanks for any ideas.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Gusb; 07/03/14.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...a large plug... that almost looks factory...

You're joking!

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Originally Posted by pal
...a large plug... that almost looks factory...

You're joking!

This is the first Model 70 I�ve owned (pre64 or otherwise) and I�m just fumbling along trying to learn and pickup what info I can. I�m well aware this big plug could have come from anywhere in the years following 1957, but the workmanship is of a much higher standard than the other �honest hunter� modifications I�ve found on the gun. I think the New Haven plant back in the day did not necessarily subscribe to the �disposable� attitudes we see everywhere today.

From the Roger Rule book:
On page 56 - �For the more serious problems, wood welding was used. The wood welder, using a piece of scrap wood that closely matched the damaged area, would cut, fit and glue it in place� Some stocks, too badly damaged or defective for repairs, were discarded before patching.�

And from page 152 - �Not only had the quality of the wood declined, but American black walnut as a species had become more and more scarce. It was therefore common for repairs to be made in order to avoid discarding a stock: these repairs were most prevalent after 1961. Photograph 6-12 shows a typical example��

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That book has a wealth of knowledge in it. I'm glad someone else reads it. Your rifle looks great gus. Have you had a chance to shoot it again (before you pulled the recoil pad off)? I was wondering if pulling that little piece of metal out of the inside of the receiver helped.

BSA MAGA
G
Gusb Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
That book has a wealth of knowledge in it. I'm glad someone else reads it. Your rifle looks great gus. Have you had a chance to shoot it again (before you pulled the recoil pad off)? I was wondering if pulling that little piece of metal out of the inside of the receiver helped.

Only have 30 rounds through it on that first range trip but I�m assuming a scope that�s not loose will help in future. smile Love the way the gun feels and shoots. We have a nice outdoor range but it�s a good haul up in hills and I�m traveling back east in a few days so decided to rub some more finish in the stock and play with the recoil pad install in the meanwhile.

Last edited by Gusb; 07/05/14.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might be right--they did a heck of a job matching the grain. But the lopsided appearance of the plug makes me suspicious.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (300_savage, 2500HD, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 19 invisible), 1,657 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,053
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.