Home
With all of the Forbes talk it would be interesting to know who has a rifle on order....

I've been on record as wanting one but like many here that desire has waned with the qc issues. Who here is still "in"?
Had an issue back in the day on an ULA and didn't like how it was resolved. Haven't been a fan since. No Forbes for me. YMMV
Like you, I'm waiting and watching.
Would love to see them get QC under control. At the price point, I would have a hard time dragging a NULA down a cliff or through the brush and that's what I want one for!
Stocks can always be repainted. They are at their best when things are steep.
My new Forbes 24B .270 came out of the box in fine shape. Bedding is clean and neat, rifle functions as it should and accuracy has been impressive.

Originally Posted by OregonCoot
My new Forbes 24B .270 came out of the box in fine shape. Bedding is clean and neat, rifle functions as it should and accuracy has been impressive.

You have a new LH Forbes Coot?
Originally Posted by RUM7
Like you, I'm waiting and watching.
Would love to see them get QC under control. At the price point, I would have a hard time dragging a NULA down a cliff or through the brush and that's what I want one for!
Totally agree.
I won't use/abuse a NULA like I would a Forbes.
And I won't spend $3500 on a non-stainless gun, the Fall conditions here are just too brutal.

I'm wanting an all-stainless Forbes 20-b in .308. A sub five pound all-weather lefty is my huckleberry...but...the quality has to be under control or I am not biting.

Have had one on order for over a year... Waiting patiently...
Originally Posted by broomd

As my neighbor's kid would say "wait, what?" smile

Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
As my neighbor's kid would say "wait, what?" smile
A simple search of OregonCoot's posts yields the answer: NO. HE DOES NOT HAVE A LEFT-HANDED FORBES. Other than a few pre-production/prototypes provided to various "personalities," they haven't been manufactured in that form yet.
I'm out.
Originally Posted by ghostrider272
Have had one on order for over a year... Waiting patiently...

What I suspected...
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Other than a few pre-production/prototypes provided to various "personalities," they haven't been manufactured in that form yet.

Yes, I know. I provided the information and link to that prototype....

These rifles are slated to hit the street fairly soon, none of us here likely know exactly when. Hence the question to Coot.

I'm not searching a guys postings here when I can simply ask him a question.
I order a lh .308 last nov 2013 and was told by the factory it would be finished in dec 2013 they were just waiting for a stock for the gun, after being told different story's for months I bought a rh Montana. I talked to Rick Campbell he is a good story teller!
Yes, I know. I provided the information and link to that prototype....
Give yourself a gold star, Captain Obvious.

I'm not searching a guys postings here when I can simply ask him a question.
Yes, because he's such a prolific poster and has been so forthcoming with an answer.
I've had a LH Forbes in 270 Win on order since last Fall. The latest I've heard regarding delivery was this July.

Told them that if I did not get it then, I would cancel my order.

We'll see!

Steve

Just sent an email to Rick Campbell requesting an update for delivery of my rifle. I'll report back when I get a reply.

Steve
I personally don't think they would be worth the asking price and have been waiting for Kimber to offer a LH Montana.
Originally Posted by bea175
I personally don't think they would be worth the asking price and have been waiting for Kimber to offer a LH Montana.

Has Kimber said anything at all about a LH offering? I wouldn't hold my breath on that one...
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE

Just sent an email to Rick Campbell requesting an update for delivery of my rifle. I'll report back when I get a reply.
Steve
Appreciated...
Kimber had left hand rifles in their catalog about 12 years ago, and never made any that I know of.

I was at the set-up at the SHOT about 10 years ago and went over to the Kimber location. I asked their president, VanBrunt, if they were going to build left hand rifles. He very quickly became agitated and said that they would never build a LH rifle. When I asked him why they had put LH rifles in their catalog a couple of years earlier, he became more pissed off and said he was tired of people asking about LH rifles and referred to them as being "militant". That was one strange conversation!

So, I would not want to hang by my thumbs over a hot fire waiting for Kimber to build LH rifles. As far as I know, VanBrunt is still there.

Steve
Kimber Montana in LH , nothing i have heard about so far
Kimber had left hand rifles in their catalog about 12 years ago, and never made any that I know of.

I was at the set-up at the SHOT about 10 years ago and went over to the Kimber location. I asked their president, VanBrunt, if they were going to build left hand rifles. He very quickly became agitated and said that they would never build a LH rifle. When I asked him why they had put LH rifles in their catalog a couple of years earlier, he became more pissed off and said he was tired of people asking about LH rifles and referred to them as being "militant". That was one strange conversation!

Steve

Sounds like we should get his email and start sending him orders direct.
ejo,

I like your thinking!

Kimber also had a LH rife outline on their website. When I mentioned that to Van Brunt, he said the picture was backward and then again complained about the LH militants who emailed Kimber.

Yup, Kimber never did anything wrong. It was just us LH militants causing all the trouble.

Steve

I just called Kimber's marketing department and was told "nothing planned at this time, it would require to much capital investment to produce a left handed action". Basically the standard answer.

No amount of pre orders will change their mind.

I guess i will never own a Kimber Rifle other than my LH 22 lr made in Oregon
I'm glad you all remember the LH Kimber situation years ago. I saw it on their website and went to the LGS to order one. Later, I e-mail Kimber and asked about it. They said they had no plans to produce a left hand rifle. I have no plans to buy a right handed one, so I suppose we are stuck.

As for the Forbes, I got it in my head that I really, really wanted one. I called and inquired about ordering one some time ago and couldn't get a definite date when they would become available so I waited. I am still waiting. In the mean time, I have read more about them and find myself less excited.
I guess I should have been more clear and on-subject. No, I do not have a left handed Forbes - I am a righty.

The many negative comments such as RUM7's remark regarding NULA QC issues have been showing up on the forum recently and have puzzled me, considering the generally high quality of the rifle I picked up.

In fairness to Forbes, thought the good should be heard as well as the bad.

Jim

I guess I should have been more clear and on-subject. No, I do not have a left handed Forbes - I am a righty.....

Jim

No worries, Jim, I figured that was the case from the start but I had to ask given you posted here at the southpaw hangout.
Glad you have had a good experience. We all know that it isn't a common theme for Forbes right now.
I think my comments may have been misunderstood. I have nothing but praise for NULA rifles. In fact, they are at the top of my want list right now. I just can't justify one right now. Too many diapers and private schooling to pay for. Therefore, I'm rooting for the lefty Forbes to be all they are supposed to be. Glad you got a good one.
I have two LH, M24B's on order. One is in 6.5 X 55 and was told it would be available the beginning of 2015. The other is a 30-06 which I plan to hunt with this fall in Wyoming. I was led to believe a early September delivery. Either way I have several back-ups.
I have been invited to stop by the Titan factory in Westbrook Maine. The end of July I will be going through so I plan to stop. I should have a better idea of production timing after I visit.
I will post what I find out.
I have one of the very few LH 20Bs out there (think I placed the first order with them). 7mm-08, stainless barrel and phosphate receiver. I am one of those guys that badgered Kimber for years at SHOT.

I'm perfectly happy with the fit and finish, my intended use mirrors that of broomd's. No safe queens, I just want something ultralight that shoots well and can be used hard without guilt.

So far, function is just fine. I have not had time to shoot the rifle much, so can't give you feedback on accuracy yet. I have shot the 24B in .270 and been very impressed with accuracy and suspect the 20B will be very similar. I have a great CO deer tag in hand, and the 20B will be used.

I'll keep you guys posted with shooting results later this summer. Not sure when, dealing with some extensive tornado clean-up right now.
Originally Posted by IdahoPro
I have one of the very few LH 20Bs out there (think I placed the first order with them). 7mm-08, stainless barrel and phosphate receiver.
I'd like to see photos of it.
It does exist, and has a nice (I think) functional look with the dull stainless barrel, matte black phosphate receiver and gray stock. I'll try to get a pic up sometime soon.
It does exist, and has a nice (I think) functional look with the dull stainless barrel, matte black phosphate receiver and gray stock. I'll try to get a pic up sometime soon.
Can't wait to see your NULA.
I wouldn't complain if it was...

You mean Forbes, right?
You mean Forbes, right?
No.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm sure your listed occupation of "Pro Hunting Guide" had nothing to do with that.
That there is what I'd call a hens tooth.

It'd be nice to see a slew of them out there, not just two!

That there is what I'd call a hens tooth.

It'd be nice to see a slew of them out there, not just two!
So far they've just been available to the "personalities." They're not available to an average consumer. This particular poster is a "Pro Hunting Guide" with a little stroke.
Lol!

Love it, NULA my @ss....

Thanks for posting IDPro.
Lol!

Love it, NULA my @ss....

Thanks for posting IDPro.
Yes, thanks for posting photos of the rifle obtained via your stroke as a "Pro Hunting Guide."
Chuckle....keep digging.

The fact is at one point you said 'none' were out there.

We think we know what is going on, but frankly none of us really knows.
Stick to ruger rifles....
Chuckle....keep digging.

The fact is at one point you said 'none' were out there.
Uh, no, that's not what I posted, moron:

Other than a few pre-production/prototypes provided to various "personalities," they haven't been manufactured in that form yet.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8939058/Bricktop#Post8939058

We think we know what is going on, but frankly none of us really knows.
Stick to ruger rifles....
Uh, yeah, "we" kind of do know what's "going on:" Forbes isn't making left-handed rifles for general consumption at present. I expect with being the kind of high roller you are, having to sell your gear to pay your bills and whatnot, you may have overlooked that. Or maybe it went over your head like a lot of other common sense.
Love it.....chuckle.
Love it.....chuckle.
Don't get all butt-hurt because your ass got spanked for your (as usual) low-rent attempt at an insult.

Left-handed Forbes haven't been made for "unconnected" buyers. Period. That's been my statement from the get-go.

You should spend more time preparing for your taxes. You being the high roller and all.
Laffin....it's fun being in your head BT, and the best part is that it takes all of about 2 seconds to get there!

I have one of the very few LH 20Bs out there (think I placed the first order with them). 7mm-08, stainless barrel and phosphate receiver. I am one of those guys that badgered Kimber for years at SHOT.
I'm perfectly happy with the fit and finish, my intended use mirrors that of broomd's. No safe queens, I just want something ultralight that shoots well and can be used hard without guilt.
So far, function is just fine. I have not had time to shoot the rifle much, so can't give you feedback on accuracy yet. I have shot the 24B in .270 and been very impressed with accuracy and suspect the 20B will be very similar. I have a great CO deer tag in hand, and the 20B will be used.
I'll keep you guys posted with shooting results later this summer. Not sure when, dealing with some extensive tornado clean-up right now.

ID, what is the weight?
When did you receive? Have you eyeballed the stock bedding and does it pass muster? I know your hands are full with that twister action, good luck there, post when you can...
Curious on the details...
Laffin....it's fun being in your head BT, and the best part is that it takes all of about 2 seconds to get there!
I was just thinking the same thing about you. Let's "hang."
From a forum North of the 49th:

[Linked Image]

Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when you can post non-photoshopped pictures.
Thanks Wrongside......looks like they are trickling out as expected.
Noooooooo, looks like internet posts are trickling out as expected. It's only gossip. Actual rifles are still in the same status as before -- a handful of prototype/pre-production items have been provided to various publicity venues and shills.

No prob, broomd. Not sure I'm interested in the risk involved in purchasing one of these rifles, but might call PRF and see what, if any, they got in this shipment. I'll let you know what they say.
Well, i've read quite a few reviews and frankly they vary.
Some guys, like IDPro here, are very happy and say they are great shooters, which i don't doubt at all, others are bemoaning the feed woes and mucked up stock bedding we've seen referenced on the 'fire.

I'm going to talk to Rick at Forbes and see what, if anything he has to say about it. And I may give PR a jingle too, just to pick their brain a bit on them.
Good stuff. I'd like to hear what Rick @ Forbes has to say, if you don't mind. If you call PR, ask to speak with Clay, if you can get him. He's the owner and a standup guy.

I know that Prophet River was involved in at least one messy Forbes deal. It was mentioned in Rancho's thread. But, they do continue to stock a good variety of the RH Forbes rifles, so it can't have been a completely negative experience for them...

I know I'd love at least a 3o-o6 and maybe a 7-o8, if they can work thru the inconsistent QC.
I'll ask for Clay, thanks for the heads up....
Clay is really good at getting things in often before they are out in the U.S. much. I too am still interested in the Forbes concept and hope they can get their act together quickly, I would be most interested in a LH 270 Win or 280 Rem.
So who has called PR and confirmed?
Ken, on my list for tomorrow....
Canada day tomorrow, they might be in or maybe celebrating our 147th anniversary.
Par for the course.
So nothing confirmed on Lefty's huh?
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Of course not. This little circle jerk of trolls didn't plan anything beyond baiting with a few posts. (Or is it "'bating" with these dickheads?)
Ken, PR posted on this days ago at the thread wrongside provided, there were no Lefties in stock per that posting, only a few RH .243s.

I plan to talk with Rick from Forbes when I can, the three hour time difference is a pita...when I get a break to call, they are long gone.
Of course not. This little circle jerk of trolls didn't plan anything beyond baiting with a few posts. (Or is it "'bating" with these dickheads?)

You sure do excel at knowing less than nothing.
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
As soon as you can produce a left-handed Forbes that's available to ANYONE off the street, you let me know, sport. Until then, f*ck off. Let me know if YOU can understand that.
As soon as you can produce a left-handed Forbes that's available to ANYONE off the street, you let me know, sport. Until then, f*ck off. Let me know if YOU can understand that.

Here is something to get through your head. They have been available. I have had opportunity to buy more than one, and I can't help it if you need to be spoon fed rifles. Now, here is the question. Do you really need one to shoot filthy stinky pigs out of your truck window? Sport.
Here is something to get through your head. They have been available. I have had opportunity to buy more than one, and I can't help it if you need to be spoon fed rifles. Now, here is the question. Do you really need one to shoot filthy stinky pigs out of your truck window? Sport.
Yes, they're SOOOOOOOOOO available, you and everyone else declined to buy one.

And weren't you the dunce asking the INCREDIBLY CEREBRAL "is there a commercially available left-handed safety for a Zastava Mauser" awhile back. Jesus Christ, what a dunce.

Let me know when you have something of value to add. For a change. Go back to trimming your toenails, Jethro.
Man I dislike posers.
Pathfinder, just remember prikslop is so insecure he needs a false identity for his false identity. Besides, if it wasn't the internet, nobody would talk to him.
Anyone receive their lefty Forbes yet?

With hunting season upcoming, and upon us in AK, BC, etc., hopefully Forbes is starting to move out the promised southpaw versions.....
NotI.

Mine was supposed to be delivered last Spring

With hunting season upcoming, and upon us in AK, BC, etc., hopefully Forbes is starting to move out the promised southpaw versions.....

I'm sure glad I was not hanging over a hot fire waiting for mine to show up.

Steve

Thanks for reminding me to clean my sh*tter down at the farm tomorrow.

Steve, have you talked with Rick Campbell to see what is up?

Steve, have you talked with Rick Campbell to see what is up?

We've exchanged a bunch of emails, the last about 2 weeks ago. They include a lot of promised but missed delivery schedules. As I posted earlier, the first delivery was supposed to be last Spring.
In general, after each missed delivery, he has told me that they have solved the problem and would deliver on a new date.

The latest promised date is now this October. So far he is batting 000. I have 6 ULA/NULA'a, and all were delivered on time or ahead of time.

I told him that I was going deer and antelope hunting this October and would need the rifle earlier so I could work up some handloads and sight in the rifle. He told me that I should only use factory ammo. Not much help!

Steve
D@mn....

Well, thanks for taking the time and filling us in around here. Let's hope your stick is a fine one and worth the wait.
broomd,

I'll report on any progress, or lack of it.

Steve
Rick Campbell told me yesterday that the "build date" for my rifle is 24 September. We'll see.

I leave for Wyoming(deer, antelope and elk) on 6 October, so it is going to be close.

Steve
I handled several (right handed) Forbes a couple of months ago at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine. 3 out of the 5 on the rack had noticeable issues. On one, all the bolt heads were completely rusted. Another had a two tone finish on the barrel, went from gloss to matte about half way down. Another had the stock touching the side of the barrel. On all 5 the stock inleting around the safety was about twice the size as you would expect.

I hope those who ordered get a nice one but it seems very hit or miss.
frown
I figure if the rifle is not right, back it goes. But they are charging a lot of money for a hit or miss rifle.

Melvin must be pretty frustrated with them. His standards and theirs seem to be far apart.

Steve
Well, they are wearing his last name. How can he allow it to continue?

One would think the CLR fiasco was enough....
My guess is that in the past, they did not know their ass from third base for building rifles. But the worst of it is that they were blaming the customer.

My, and our standards, are on a different planet from them.

But, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the rifle I ordered and that they get their act together. I hope they deserve the benefit of the doubt I'm willing to give to them. We'll see.

Steve

Cut back on the Fritos and just order a damn NULA, I've had enough.

Winchester, Kimber,Forbes, Get Bent.

Gap's non-typical always caught my attention, time to stimulate the economy.
have one NULA, pretty danged happy with that lil rifle

too bad Melvin let him use his name, at least with the Colt fiasco it was the Colt name that ended up tasting like chit

these guys building the Forbes rifle don't exactly inspire much in the way of confidence based on the reports on this forum. Pity that
Just cancelled my order for a LH Forbes rifle. Was told today, only after I asked, that there would be another delay. Originally, delivery was due last Spring.

So, I've already lost a year of hunting with the rifle, and I leave for Wyoming in two weeks from today for deer, antelope and elk.

Delivery delays, shoddy workmanship and poor customer service are the reasons for my decision.

But I do hope they eventually get things worked out. If they do, I'll consider buying a Forbes again.

Steve
Strange,,,,

Forbes just called me minutes ago, offered me a LH .270 that someone had just cancelled out.

Thanks!
Glad to help, and hope it works out for you.

Steve
Strange,,,,

Forbes just called me minutes ago, offered me a LH .270 that someone had just cancelled out.

Thanks!

When were you promised delivery of the rifle and for what price?
Just cancelled my order for a LH Forbes rifle. Was told today, only after I asked, that there would be another delay. Originally, delivery was due last Spring.

So, I've already lost a year of hunting with the rifle, and I leave for Wyoming in two weeks from today for deer, antelope and elk.

Delivery delays, shoddy workmanship and poor customer service are the reasons for my decision.
But I do hope they eventually get things worked out. If they do, I'll consider buying a Forbes again
Steve

Man, that really stinks.

Fwiw...There are no less than 26 Forbes righties on gunbroker right now. Can't understand what the h*ll they are thinking there. They'd likely have every left handed rifle sold if they went to work on them...Obviously with some emphasis on quality.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Strange,,,,

Thanks!

It will be here last week, or possibly even earlier than that.
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Strange,,,,

Thanks!

It will be here last week, or possibly even earlier than that.

Now that is just downright funny!! Glad to see some humor can come out of a disappointing situation.

Steve
Originally Posted by ejo
I handled several (right handed) Forbes a couple of months ago at the Kittery Trading Post in Maine. 3 out of the 5 on the rack had noticeable issues. On one, all the bolt heads were completely rusted. Another had a two tone finish on the barrel, went from gloss to matte about half way down. Another had the stock touching the side of the barrel. On all 5 the stock inleting around the safety was about twice the size as you would expect.

I hope those who ordered get a nice one but it seems very hit or miss.

Hopefully it was touching evenly along the full length bedded barrel... wink
It looked like the inletting was off. Stock was pressed tight to one side with a gap on the other.

A left handed Ruger American would be a better option than waiting for one of these.

ejo,
That was my thinking, and the Ruger costs about one third the cost of a Forbes.

That, along with promised delivery dates that were all missed, and no telling when I would get the rifle.

Not a hard call to make.

Steve
© 24hourcampfire