Home
Posted By: Owl Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/11/23
How many of you follow Clark McGhie ? Thoughts ?
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/12/23
Never heard of it!
Originally Posted by Owl
Perhaps elaborate...what particular issues etc?
Posted By: Owl Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/13/23
https://www.youtube.com/@ClarkMcGhiesWildCountry
Posted By: DBT Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/13/23
Never heard of him before this thread was posted.
Posted By: purri Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/13/23
didn't he kark it?
Posted By: Owl Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/13/23
[video:yahoo]
[/video]
I hadn't heard of him before either.
Posted By: purri Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/15/23
a legend of his own making...
I am sure after watching some of his videos that he has done far more hunting and guiding and knows infinitely more about hunting than any of those on this thread who come from the same country, yet don't know him or say he's a legend of his own making.
I have vague recollections of the name, the thing you may be missing is that Australians don't really "follow" (if that is the word) sites/presenters/themes like Americans seem to.

Most of us just tend to poke along and do our own thing in our own time, probably a failing...but there it is.
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
I am sure after watching some of his videos that he has done far more hunting and guiding and knows infinitely more about hunting than any of those on this thread who come from the same country, yet don't know him or say he's a legend of his own making.

There's not a whole lot compelling about what he does or knows, that isn't already done or known. The thing is that he makes a business out of it so has to go for the high profile approach. Doesn't seem to be working all that well at a local level.
Posted By: dingo Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/15/23
Originally Posted by Owl

He's been around for years and is well known, especially in the Red Deer hunting fraternity because of his involvement in the RIDGE group. ( https://www.theridgegroup.net/ ) I dont know him personally, although I know a few people that have hunted with him over the years. From what I'm told his knows his stuff, especially when it comes to Red Deer.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: Clark McGhie's Wild Country - 06/16/23
I haven't heard anything about him for years, but I have heard of him. A mate of mine hunted red deer with him years ago - maybe 20 or more - and IIRC seemed to think he was a knowledgeable bloke when it came to red deer hunting. I'm aware of the RIDGE group too, though when I've hunted red deer it wasn't with them. That isn't any sort of implied criticism of either McGhie or RIDGE either.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
the thing you may be missing is that Australians don't really "follow" (if that is the word) sites/presenters/themes like Americans seem to.
Most of us just tend to poke along and do our own thing in our own time, probably a failing...but there it is.

True that, at least in relation to hunting and shooting. There'd be very few here who have a "following" I think. Maybe old Nick Harvey.
Originally Posted by dan_oz
True that, at least in relation to hunting and shooting. There'd be very few here who have a "following" I think. Maybe old Nick Harvey.

Nicks an interesting old reprobate, and easy to deal with.
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by dan_oz

Nicks an interesting old reprobate, and easy to deal with.

Yes, he is that. He'd have to be well into his 80s now though, maybe even pushing 90. I first met him 40-odd years ago.I was working for Heimo Petzl, the gunsmith, and Nick was a mate of Heimo's and would come into the shop. I remember fireforming a batch of brass for him, shooting the rounds into the back of the bullet trap at the back of the shop. I've spoken with him once or twice since, and have several of his books, a couple of which he was gracious enough to sign for me.
© 24hourcampfire