Home
Posted By: wyomike Model 70 style safety - 01/03/24
Anybody know who Ican get to install a Model 70 style safety on my F.N. Mauser? Gertan is not taking any new work at this time.
Thanks
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/03/24
Contact Jim Wisner
Gentry.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/04/24
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Gentry.

BIG mistake!
Why?
Posted By: Sabretooth Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/04/24
James Kobe, he is a member on here....
Posted By: Jkob Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/04/24
Why?

If you put on a bunch of the good ones you will learn real quick!
The gunsmith I am having do mine currently says he prefers them to the others. Has put on many. He didn't mention what others.
Posted By: Gaschekt Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/10/24
I think Jkob will put one on. I might have a job for him by the way..
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/10/24
Why?

Because they suck.
What about them sucks? I have one in a Mauser which works fine. Am having another put in a different Mauser by a very experienced gunsmith who prefers them to all other replacement 3 position safeties. The first one was difficult for the smith who seems to not be very good so Gentry put it in a couple years ago without difficulty.

So, again what about them is bad?
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/10/24
Dakota

MM
Posted By: TC1 Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/10/24
What about them sucks? I have one in a Mauser which works fine. Am having another put in a different Mauser by a very experienced gunsmith who prefers them to all other replacement 3 position safeties. The first one was difficult for the smith who seems to not be very good so Gentry put it in a couple years ago without difficulty.

So, again what about them is bad?

From what I understand, it was a fine product at one time. Mr Gentry passed and his son makes them now. Many say talent skipped a generation.
The son got mine in no problem. What is he doing that makes them inferior to his dads?
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/11/24
QC over time has been hit or miss. Over the years, I was sent several that where out of time by 90 degrees. Not sure if that was limited to just one production batch or multiples but the safeties were provided to me years apart. I received one for a mini Mauser that didn't have the threads cut far enough. I had to make a fixture and extend the threads so that the shroud would screw all the way in. Couldn't send that one back because they were produced in such small batches that I could have been waiting years for the next batch. Customer didn't have that long.

The detents on the Dakota are cut such that more often than it is easier to go from fire to safe and locked (3rd position), then back to safe (2nd position) than it is to go straight from fire to safe 1st to 2nd positions. When I had a choice I sourced Ed Lapour or Wisner made safeties.

I have several Dakotas and they work well enough when properly installed, but could be better. If that was all I could find and I needed one, I'd make it work. That said, when the Gentry's work, they work equally well.
Thanks. The son did get mad at me when I said the smith working on it couldn't get it to work. (He and the smith had talked several times about trying to get it to work.) Blamed me for taking it to a "[bleep] smith". After several months he did agree to take it and get it to work. It was back in a couple days all good. Maybe I got a bad one and maybe the smith wasn't knowledgeable enough to do the job. I'll have to ask the guy working on mu current one if he has had anu=y problems in the past.
Posted By: petemacmahon Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/26/24
Originally Posted by Jkob
Why?

If you put on a bunch of the good ones you will learn real quick!

Hey Jim, you have a website?

I just picked up my first ever rifle based on a German military Mauser 98. A Nazi stamped large ring with the military trigger still on. The build looks to be late date late 60s-mid 70s. Has a Fajen stock, and a very heaver 30-06 barrel on it. My goal is to build a 9.3X62. It has some sort of left side two position low wing safety on it now.

Since you replies here have been very short, I wonder if you would mind weighing in on you recommendations for the best 3 position replacement safety? The way I see it, we have:

- Gentry ( when they have them)
- Pacific Tool & die
- New England Custom Gun
- Wisners
- The Ed LaPour offered at Myers

Thanks!
Posted By: Jkob Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/26/24
Sorry, no website. Wisner by far! FOr fit, finish and price.
Posted By: UncleGrinch Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/26/24
Jim Wisner is the manufacturer of many variations of Mod 70 swing safety’s. Both 2 position and 3 position.
I have several and can attest to the quality of his products.
They are the best…bar none!
Posted By: JRGunmaker Re: Model 70 style safety - 01/27/24
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
Originally Posted by Jkob
[quote=Just a Hunter]Why?

Hey Jim, you have a website?
Since you replies here have been very short, I wonder if you would mind weighing in on you recommendations for the best 3 position replacement safety?

Thanks!
There aren't very many makers/smiths that want to publicly bash other companies. Even if well deserved. I'd recommend finding a smith that will work on your project that's willing to stand behind their work. Regardless of which safety is used.
Kobe and James Anderson are fellows that I have complete trust in and this is after many builds over several years.
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/03/24
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Kobe and James Anderson are fellows that I have complete trust in and this is after many builds over several years.

Yup.
Hi,

Do you know who are making 3 position Winchester bolt shroud for BRNO ZKK actions?

Thank you!
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/04/24
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi,

Do you know who are making 3 position Winchester bolt shroud for BRNO ZKK actions?

Thank you!

If Jim Wisner isn't, you may want to check with Nathaniel Myers. https://www.myersarms.com/store/Ed-LaPour-CZ-550-BRNO-ZKK-3-Position-Safety-Bolt-Shroud-p550547014
Posted By: roverboy Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/04/24
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi,

Thank you!

No, I didn't know that. Nice. I started to do a 3 position "Model 70" style on my Turk 38 several years ago. It wouldn't have been all that hard to do. I just went with a Timney "Buehler" style.
Thank you z1r!
Posted By: SWJ Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/06/24
Small hi-jack, is there a 3 position safety for a Husqvarna 1640?
Posted By: roverboy Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by SWJ

Is it a large ring Mauser? If it's basically a large ring, there's probably someone who makes one.
Posted By: z1r Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by SWJ

Yes.
Posted By: Jkob Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/06/24
Originally Posted by SWJ

Yuip. I just finished fitting one
Posted By: SWJ Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/06/24
Ask a vague question, get a vague answer...

I was trying to ask if the Husq 1640 bolt shroud was threaded as a 96, 98 or unique to the 1640. If it is unique to the 1640 are there recommendations other than Wisner or the LaPour?
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/06/24
The first safety conversion I ever had done was on a
BRNO ZKK 602. Local smith used a Wisner M70-style for that. Excellent.

After that same was done with Lapour safeties on CZ 550 Magnums. Several. All excellent.

The last two I have had done were FN Mausers.
One used Gentry stainless steel. Excellent.
Last one used Recknagel from NECG.
Yep, you guessed it, excellent.
I got a second Recknagel from NECG for a Whitworth MKX ...
Maybe I just have an excellent gunsmith ?
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: Model 70 style safety - 02/08/24
Gentry M70-type safety on an FN Mauser, remarkable for being made of stainless steel, a delightful highlight.
This rifle has Duane Wiebe .500 Jeffery bottom metal also,
donor rifle was a Herter's .30-06 with square threaded barrel.
Non-stainless metal was Cerakoted black:

[Linked Image]

The Recknagel M70-type safety from NECG on another FN Mauser.
It and the Sunny Hill drop box are still in the white here:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Same Recknagel safety for FN Mauser fits on Whitworth MKX Mauser also, here is my second one,
spotty cold blued safety, grey-parkerized and Krylon spray paint on the rest of the metal:

[Linked Image]

The last rifle is called Ms. Piggy Warthog, pet name.
© 24hourcampfire