Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
wyomike Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Anybody know who Ican get to install a Model 70 style safety on my F.N. Mauser? Gertan is not taking any new work at this time.
Thanks

Mike DeLuca----wyomike
GB1

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contact Jim Wisner

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Gentry.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Gentry.

BIG mistake!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Why?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
James Kobe, he is a member on here....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why?

If you put on a bunch of the good ones you will learn real quick!

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The gunsmith I am having do mine currently says he prefers them to the others. Has put on many. He didn't mention what others.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think Jkob will put one on. I might have a job for him by the way..

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why?

Because they suck.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
What about them sucks? I have one in a Mauser which works fine. Am having another put in a different Mauser by a very experienced gunsmith who prefers them to all other replacement 3 position safeties. The first one was difficult for the smith who seems to not be very good so Gentry put it in a couple years ago without difficulty.

So, again what about them is bad?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dakota

MM

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What about them sucks? I have one in a Mauser which works fine. Am having another put in a different Mauser by a very experienced gunsmith who prefers them to all other replacement 3 position safeties. The first one was difficult for the smith who seems to not be very good so Gentry put it in a couple years ago without difficulty.

So, again what about them is bad?

From what I understand, it was a fine product at one time. Mr Gentry passed and his son makes them now. Many say talent skipped a generation.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
The son got mine in no problem. What is he doing that makes them inferior to his dads?

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
QC over time has been hit or miss. Over the years, I was sent several that where out of time by 90 degrees. Not sure if that was limited to just one production batch or multiples but the safeties were provided to me years apart. I received one for a mini Mauser that didn't have the threads cut far enough. I had to make a fixture and extend the threads so that the shroud would screw all the way in. Couldn't send that one back because they were produced in such small batches that I could have been waiting years for the next batch. Customer didn't have that long.

The detents on the Dakota are cut such that more often than it is easier to go from fire to safe and locked (3rd position), then back to safe (2nd position) than it is to go straight from fire to safe 1st to 2nd positions. When I had a choice I sourced Ed Lapour or Wisner made safeties.

I have several Dakotas and they work well enough when properly installed, but could be better. If that was all I could find and I needed one, I'd make it work. That said, when the Gentry's work, they work equally well.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks. The son did get mad at me when I said the smith working on it couldn't get it to work. (He and the smith had talked several times about trying to get it to work.) Blamed me for taking it to a "[bleep] smith". After several months he did agree to take it and get it to work. It was back in a couple days all good. Maybe I got a bad one and maybe the smith wasn't knowledgeable enough to do the job. I'll have to ask the guy working on mu current one if he has had anu=y problems in the past.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Jkob
Why?

If you put on a bunch of the good ones you will learn real quick!

Hey Jim, you have a website?

I just picked up my first ever rifle based on a German military Mauser 98. A Nazi stamped large ring with the military trigger still on. The build looks to be late date late 60s-mid 70s. Has a Fajen stock, and a very heaver 30-06 barrel on it. My goal is to build a 9.3X62. It has some sort of left side two position low wing safety on it now.

Since you replies here have been very short, I wonder if you would mind weighing in on you recommendations for the best 3 position replacement safety? The way I see it, we have:

- Gentry ( when they have them)
- Pacific Tool & die
- New England Custom Gun
- Wisners
- The Ed LaPour offered at Myers

Thanks!

Better to be judged by 12 than carried by six.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sorry, no website. Wisner by far! FOr fit, finish and price.

U
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Jim Wisner is the manufacturer of many variations of Mod 70 swing safety’s. Both 2 position and 3 position.
I have several and can attest to the quality of his products.
They are the best…bar none!

Shoot Safe,
Mike
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by petemacmahon
Originally Posted by Jkob
[quote=Just a Hunter]Why?

Hey Jim, you have a website?
Since you replies here have been very short, I wonder if you would mind weighing in on you recommendations for the best 3 position replacement safety?

Thanks!
There aren't very many makers/smiths that want to publicly bash other companies. Even if well deserved. I'd recommend finding a smith that will work on your project that's willing to stand behind their work. Regardless of which safety is used.

gunmaker
------------------
Custom Metalsmith & Stockmaker
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,433
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.