Print Thread
Hop To
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Like Wildswalker, I too tinkered around with a muzzleloader recently. I didn�t get as in depth as him, nor do I think it came out as well, but I am happy with the results. The rifle is much more aesthetically and well as functionally pleasing to me. I am definitely a wood and steel guy.

I started with a basic blue/synthetic Omega. I took one doe with it in Ohio�s muzzy season but didn�t like the �cold� feel to it. I was also surprised with how much noise a hollow synthetic stock makes when a twig slaps it while walking. I found an ad for Weatherby �seconds� stocks that had flaws for about $30 (can�t remember exactly). They were advertised as un-inletted and roughly outside shaped. Perfect I thought�.no big investment when I screw it up. Purchased a steel grip cap and Pachmeyer pad for ~$35 and I was in business.

The stock had some nice mineral streaking/fiddle but some serious knots and voids�.you get what you pay for. It also was in the Monte Carlo Style which I am not fond of. I did the rough inletting on a milling machine and outside shaping was do by rasp and file�..lots of file! I filled the voids with a mixture of glue and sawdust. Then I taped off half the barrel and steel bedded the whole thing for strength. I was a little concerned about the lack of contact area for both recoil lugs against the wood. There also is not a lot of wood between the barrel and rear action screw. I still think I am going to install some sort of cross bolt. Some checkering may get done if I build up the courage�or drink enough dirty martinis.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
GB1

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Here is the completed rifle. I used Hacker Martin�s rust bluing recipe for the grip cap and bottom screws�.this is the only link to traditional muzzle loading this rifle possesses. I removed the open sights and the mounted an older Leupold Vari-x II 2X7 in a one piece Tally Mount. I did a little stoning to reduce the massive amount of sear engagement that caused a long heavy trigger pull. It�s now better but not what I would consider good. I wish I knew of a better fix.

A target is shown with my first three shot group fired from 100 yds. Load development obviously over. The load is 100 grains Pyro Select and 250g Barnes TMZ. Also pictured is an expanded bullet fired through a log and recovered in the ground. This is one GOOD bullet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NICE WORK...NICE PIECE OF WOOD! CAN'T BEAT THOSE BARNES T-MZ'S.
THEY ARE ONE GREAT BULLET!!! NICE JOB!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
WOW, very nice job on that!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Very nice!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks everyone.

The TMZ are the best bullet I have used in a muzzy. They load easy too. I noticed Knight is marketing an all-copper tipped bullet. It looks remarakably like the Barnes bullet (even the tip and sabot are the same color). Cabela's price is $.56 per bullet and the TMZ is $.95.....It would be a good saving to shoot these Knights if it is the same bullet. Anyone tried these???

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Great job!

WHUT?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
THAT came out sweet!

Lots of character......go on and checker it, it'll make a big difference how it "feels".

Been thinkin' on that bullet myself.......

[Linked Image]
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
DAMN!

That, looks FANTASTIC!

The grain pattern on that stock is stunning, and the work, is understated and quite well done.

NICE JOB!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
djb,
It is exactly the same bullet - Barnes makes them for Knight. Just looking at Cabela's prices, you can pick up 30 Knight's for less than 24 Barnes.
I've settled on the 250 TMZ after trying the 245 and 285 Spitfires and the 250 and 290 TMZ's. That 290 would make some serious elk or bear medicine!!!!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Barnes also came out with an "EZ" load version with a new sabot. probably to give them something against the superglide shockwave from T/C. But at $20.99 for 18, I'll push a little harder starting the sabot down the barrel!

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thanks again everyone...

Kimber7man, thanks for the info. I'll give the Knights a try as the are literally half the price of the Barnes. The deer I shot with the TMZ looked like a bomb went off inside it.

Wildswalker, you show me yours and then I'll show you mine grin Seriously, I'd like to checker the forearm only. I have done some "freshening" of checkering on some re-finished rifles, but never started from scratch. I have a couple old mauser stocks I may break out later and practice on. I would definately stick to a very simply pattern.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Hard to not like a combo like that...nice and nice.

Use sharp checkering tools, keep your lines straight...and don't "overwork" it. You'll do fine.

[Linked Image]
D
djb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I'll probably do it this summer after the beans get too tall to shoot groundhogs and it gets hot.

Yeah, checkering requires a "touch". As you said, you don't want to force the cutter but I found you do have to push hard enough to keep it in the line your cutting. Otherwise it likes to run over.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
djb, I've borrowed your picture links and posted two of them on another forum. Hope you don't mind. I really think those pictures should be shared. smile

WHUT?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
this is high praise from another "tinkerer extradinoire" grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very beautiful craftsmanship DJB . I would be proud to carry that rifle afield. Stock turned out truely beautiful. I agree with the plastic stocks feeling cold, also prefer a wood stock myself.. Great job

Live each day like it's your last. It just might be.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.