Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I ask only two things: Please read the article before making any exptensive comments, or asking questions.

Also, please note that I did not mention hunting with ANY other target bullet than Berger VLD's in the article, even those made by Berger. I will not extrapolate on the use of Sierra Matchkings, for instance, from my experience with Bergers. For one thing, I know they use VERY different lead alloys for the cores. (If I ever do hunt with MK's, I'll try them extensively before reporting, just as I did with the Bergers.)

Jamison, that is a very familiar looking exit hole!

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
JB,

"exptensive" ???

Webster can't find it but a google search shows it being used in blogs... Can you provide more on this one or is it a typo? <confused look>

Could it be the "devil made you do it" since it was your 6660th post? <grin>

$bob$

Many who have freedom have no idea where they got it....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read the article and in typical Mule Deer fashion, it was great reading. His reports and Jamison's post obviously indicate that Berger VLDs will work on deer. I have no intention of switching from Hornady SPs but it's nice to read and see first hand reports of other tools for hunting and shooting. Oh, by the way Jamison...don't step in that exit hole you might hurt your leg!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We used both 168 Match Kings and VLD's in 308's (USAMTU Accurized M1-A) and 30/06 for a few years when culling does on my friend's plantation. Both worked fairly well at best. I have a couple of friends that use them on bucks as well and both have switched bullets. One guy switched to partitions exclusively and the other Accubonds...both after loosing rather nice bucks to the previously mentioned bullets. Make no mistake about it...they will work...just be prepared to place your bullet where a rib bone is the toughest obstruction your match bullet will encounter. Otherwise, sooner or later, you will loose that deer. More sooner than later, as compared to conventional bullets. My last deer shot with the match bullets still troubles me...it was my fault entirely. Christmas eve, culling does...147 yards broadside with the M1-A. Instead of center punching the heart, I smacked the shoulder blade and watched her get away with a softball sized red spot right where I hoped it would not strike. The bullet completely blew up on the shoulder and I lost her. After that, I went back to conventional hunting bullets.

My 2 cents worth...that's all. Perhaps the VLD's are a little tougher now that they are pushing it as a hunting bullet...hope so.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I just read the article and I found the results very interesting. I was especially impressed by the consistency of the wound channels despite the wide variety of impact velocities and differing impact sites.

These bullets certainly seem appropriate for deer in most of the cartridges I handload for that game. These include 308 Win., 270 Win., 260 Rem., and 300 Savage, the last one being chambered in two Model 700 Classics. That sharp-shouldered jaunty little case would look kind of badass with a 168 gr. VLD seated out to the length the Model 700 allows. Launched around 2600 fps it ought to fly plenty flat for the ranges I shoot too.

mathman

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JB

I see that Berger recommends the 1/10 twist for their 257 bullets. How do you think they would shoot in a 1/9 257 Roberts?

Jeff

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just ordered a box of 6.5mm 130 gr VLD's for my 6.5-06.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
JB, I did read the article before my initial post. I am still wondering if they would perform well on hard quartering away shots on big black bears and elk where the bullet must pass through some paunch before reaching the vitals. Thanks, Rufous.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Finished reading the article and I thought you did a fantastic job.......Great detailed description of how bullets inflick mortal wounds....I have seen various people use Bergers and SMK's for several years and they have had succesful results with them as well.....[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Godogs57,

Obviously you did not read the article, as I suggested people should before commenting.

No, the Bergers are not tougher. They are, in fact, among the softest-cored, thinnest-jacketed bullets made. Despite that, they consistently punched through shoulder bone on deer-sized animals.

JB

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
rufous,

Then you did not read the article very closely. While noting that some people had killed elk with VLD's, and quite handily, I suggested that we were pushing the envelope on 400-pound red stags. I also stated that they are best used on deer-sized game, in which category I'd place caribou. In fact, their extremely high BC would make them a fine caribou bullet, helping a lot in the wind.

My reservation in using them for caribou hunting would be the odd grizzly encounter. Indeed that would be a reservation about them for much hunting. I drew a ewe bighorn tag this year, and in the part of Montana I'll be hunting there are grizzlies, so the rifle will not be charged with VLD's. They would not be my choice as a bear bullet, or indeed an elk bullet for the kind of elk hunting I normally do. But I do plan to use them for some pronghorn and deer hunting this fall.

JB

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ngrumba,

The twist recommended for all VLD's is the MINIMUM twist needed to stabilize that bullet. If anything, I prefer my bullets a little "over-stabilized," a term that really doesn't apply to superbly balanced bullets like the VLD. The 115 should work great in a 1-9.

JB

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exptensive is extensive pronounced with a "ptooie" inserted. Sorry for using Montana vernacular on a world-wide website.

JB

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks John for all your efforts here.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
JB, thanks for the clarification. Your take makes sense. Having just one big game rifle that I normally use I will just use a more all around bullet so as not to unneccesarily limit myself. Rufous.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks John for a great article.

A friend and I just put together rifles chambered in 257 Roy. We chose the 115 VLD hunting bullet for long range coues hunting. This bullet should do the trick. With its high BC of .530 it should be excellent for those cross canyon shots. All we have to do now is get drawn!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No I didn't read the article yet, as I have not received that issue yet. I do plan on reading it ASAP...will withhold further comments until that point in time.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Azshooter
All we have to do now is get drawn!

And practice, practice, practice. That'll make more of a difference than bullet choice. Good as they are, let's not forget that. wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is not what the VLD is all about.

Ah, I got it.
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jon.... Most guys here talk about wind drift as the biggest problem with longer shots. The 115 VLD sure helps in that respect, above all other 25 cal bullets that can be easily obtained.

FYI I shoot at varmints year round so I get plenty of practice.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,400 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,323
Posts18,487,437
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.