Leica Sport Optics.
CLICK HERE for GREAT DEALS on SWAROVSKI OPTICS at CAMERA LAND!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1807604 - 11/18/07 11:53 AM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: Birdwatcher]
SteelyEyes Offline
Campfire Guide

We called one in a few years back. I was doing a cow-calf in distress kind of thing hoping to draw in a herd of elk. What we got was about a 350 lb. dark chocolate colored Ursus Americanus.

I guess he figured that calf was in enough distress to make it an easy warm meal. Of course that meant he was focused on my location and all we were armed with was one bow, mine not having an arrow nocked.

My first thought on seeing him was, "really beautiful rug he's wearing", then "I don't have a bear tag" (non-resident tags are too expensive) and finally "he's close enough". The last one was when he hit the 20 yard mark at a fast trot. My partner and I started making noises....mostly yelling "ho bear" and barking like dogs. He skidded to a stop and rocked back like a dog sitting and looked totally confused. We were all camoed up including face paint and we were standing in the shade so I don't know how well he saw us. He sure took off after the intial shock though.

I sure wish I'd have had that tag. I'd have loved to have taken him home. I'm not sure if my beasts would pack a bear but there's only one way to find out.

#1807631 - 11/18/07 12:07 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: RickyD]
Everyday Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania
 Originally Posted By: RickyD
I've read too many of those stories too and rather than an equal vote I prefer to fix any such elections wholly in my favor. The only way I'd let a bear get that close to me, would be if I was asleep or unarmed, which is nearly the same thing in my perspective.

Still I do admire your confidence, fortitude and courage. I'm sure it was an experience you will remember forever.

Point well taken. I was a little concerned when I found that I was 4 feet from my gun and 8 feet from the bear. If he had decided he wanted a piece of me, he would have been on me faster than I could have reached my gun (an in-line muzzleloader), and I would have had only one shot anyway.

On Birdwatcher's post: I have read Herrero's book -- thanks for reminding me of that point. There probably won't be a next time, but if a bear ever approaches me that way again, I'll be a little more suspicious of his intentions.

Incidentally, rifles are not permitted in the area where I was hunting and they do not permit bears to be killed. Neither of these regulations make sense, but until a bear puts the hurtin' on someone real bad (hope it's not me), the rules will probably not change.

Steve

#1807655 - 11/18/07 12:26 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: Everyday Hunter]
1akhunter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska a piece down...
thought sure it was going to be a thread about Shaq.

I'd have had to work the camera one handed at that distance, I ain't the trusting sort.

Any bear that's close enough to realize you're human and doesn't react the way BW's bear did is a bear that needs close watching of, most likely through sights and not a camera lense. YMMV

watch4bear, bout the perfect sentence to describe bear behavior ime.

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

#1807678 - 11/18/07 12:42 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: 1akhunter]
shreck Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: littoral North Carolina
I can't help thinking about Buddy Bear from the song by Jimmy Buffet.

#1807686 - 11/18/07 12:44 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: 1akhunter]
Everyday Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: 1akhunter
I'd have had to work the camera one handed at that distance, I ain't the trusting sort.

Any bear that's close enough to realize you're human and doesn't react the way BW's bear did is a bear that needs close watching of, most likely through sights and not a camera lense. YMMV

Yessiree. I was using the digital display on the back of the camera, rather than the eye viewfinder. That doesn't help hold the camera still, but it did allow me do keep a better eye on the bear. And it partly explains why the pictures are not clearer. I wasn't about to take my eye off him to change the ISO settings and the aperture.

Originally Posted By: 1akhunter
watch4bear, bout the perfect sentence to describe bear behavior ime.

I also thought that was an apt comment.

I appreciate everyone's comments, and as I think about this I realize that there is a difference between being afraid of bears and having a healthy respect for them. When you consider what could have happened, I'm wondering if I may have briefly blurred the line between those two things. Maybe in choosing whether to scare the bear off early or have an incredible encounter with one, it's possible that I may have chosen the wrong thing. I'm no Tim Treadwell, but I did believe that I could actually have eased over to the bear and petted him, or at least touched him. Yes, a real dumb thing to do, and I would not seriously consider doing it.

I doubt anyone can determine a bear's intentions, and when approaching as he did, he may have actually been considering whether or not to attack. I suppose there is no way to know for sure.

Several times I did move toward the bear, raise my arms, try to look as big as possible, and speak strongly and confidently. Those actions would not bring me a victory against a bear with hostile intentions, but may cause a bear that has not made up his mind to decide it might not be worth it.

Do I respect black bears? I think I do. Am I afraid of them? Maybe I ought to be more so. I do realize, however, that showing fear (as in backing up or running away) might have resulted in a completely different outcome. I will not show fear to a black bear. (A brownie? I wouldn't be writing this story.)

Steve

#1807687 - 11/18/07 12:44 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: RickyD]
dogzapper Offline

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Tracker

Here in Oregon, we kill 'em and eat 'em.

Steve

Steve's Blog: http://stevetimmcatholicfsblog.intuitwebsites.com/

#1807698 - 11/18/07 12:54 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: dogzapper]
bearstalker Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Loc: Alaska
Now those are some cool pictures!

#1807700 - 11/18/07 12:54 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: Everyday Hunter]
RickyD Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Iowa
If I were you, I'd have someone do a collage (sp?) of those pics, fuzzy or not, though they look good to me. They are too cool not to make into something for the wall and display. Everybit as good of a trophy as his hide would have been and not as easily obtained. Might also remind you of some things some posts may have stirred up. It sounds like you have been very fortunate in similar past encounters. Could be luck pushing time from here on out. ;\)

#1807706 - 11/18/07 01:00 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: RickyD]
Everyday Hunter Offline
Campfire Guide

Originally Posted By: RickyD
If I were you, I'd have someone do a collage (sp?) of those pics, fuzzy or not, though they look good to me. They are too cool not to make into something for the wall and display. Everybit as good of a trophy as his hide would have been and not as easily obtained. Might also remind you of some things some posts may have stirred up. It sounds like you have been very fortunate in similar past encounters. Could be luck pushing time from here on out. ;\)

Good idea. Thanks. I am going to have my brother (a graphic artist) suggest an idea. I realize I have been fortunate, and I have asked myself if I have been pushing my luck. My conflict is between an interest in the rare, close-up experience (although I don't go looking for it) and my personal safety. Maybe it's time I change the priority.

Steve

#1807729 - 11/18/07 01:14 PM Re: Black creature with BIGFEET 8 feet away yesterday [Re: RickyD]
1akhunter Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska a piece down...
EDhunter, good post

well thought out and reasoned, I can like that in a man.

Once had a griz sow with twin cubs surprise me and a pard on a sheep hunt she and the cubs just popped up into our camp from down below, by the time we layed eyes on them they were 15 away.

Pard had gone to refill a water platy at a seep, we both spied them about the same time, I was looking at them through my scope on my 7 mag, he was VIDEOING them!

They took flight and I asked him WTF over? what the hail are you doing videoing instead of grabbing your '06??????

He said he knew I'd grab my rifle and it was great footage, figured he was covered on all counts.

It worked out just the way he planned I guess, but am thinking if I'd had to shoot that sow off of him he'd have caught a buttstroke at the end. grin

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
748 registered (1lessdog, 1legmont, 1Deernut, 17Hunter, 12344mag, 82 invisible), 1330 Guests and 409 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
49451 Members
71 Forums
611648 Topics
8744354 Posts

Max Online: 4366 @ 10/05/10 09:36 AM

Copyright © 2000-2013 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.