Campfire Ranger
D
How significant is "significantly?"

GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Besides the excellent, sharp image, the biggest reasons to own an expensive glass include true water proofing over time and the ability to stay in collination over time with hard use.
If I had an EL, and an FL, and wanted to sell something, I'd certainly sell the EL. But I'd have to be convinced beyond a doubt that the Zeiss FL offered me nothing practical to sell it. E

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How significant is "significantly?"

What were you referring to? Mine or Steve's comments?

E,

It is a tough call. The FL definitely has the better image quality of the two...at least in terms of the clarity of the image and the brightness level. One has to consider customer service though. Swaro is known for being the best in that regard. Zeiss has been reasonably good in my experience but one might have to wait months if the binocular has to be shipped off to Germany for the repair.

Either would please me and I might keep both and just not get the new 8x42. Further trials this weekend will help me decide.

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you Frank! I texted Doug but didn't PM him but maybe I should and get inline.....

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm of the opinion that I'm not interested in any open bridge design binocular. Not when I have the very rugged, quality piano hinge models to choose from.
I hunt very rough country. Much of it too rough for horses. So "tough" is very important to me. E

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Eremicus
When you tested them, how far out did you go ? Did you test them with the low sun fully on the front lenses ? How about middle of the day at range ? Any difference between looking up sun and away from the sun ?
Did you dunk them in warm water ? Did you weigh them ? E

OK, I'll bite.
1- I tested them from the tip of my shoes where they focus just fine all the way to at least Jupiter where they resolve just fine too..

2- I tested them in the twilight, morning and evening versions. I tested at mid-day and afternoon. Terrestrial viewing for detail ranged to at least 15 miles. For me CA, firinging and flare was for all practical purposes just not there.

3- When I found out they had a repellent coating, I did in fact dunk them. Just a good dunk, not soak to death. There other reviewers down the line. The coating does bead the water and there was no fogging.

4- I did weight them. 27.5 oz w/o lens covers and strap, 30.5 with

Last edited by SteveC99; 08/29/08.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Steve, I have to say that between yourself, Frank and Sean you have covered all the bases in your reviews. I never thought of using a binocular at night in the way you did to test for color fringing or CA. I am going to use that test in the future. As far as durability is concerned, only time will reveal whether or not their construction will hold up to typical hunting conditions. Knowing the company that makes these I have to say that I doubt that they are sub-standard regarding their quality. They have been around for quite a while and are not strangers to the world of optics.

Roy

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks, Steve. E

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I should maybe add an edit to my last post. When focused on Jupiter, then, at that distance, just a little focus movement either way, would enable me to see a slight yellow cast to the edge of the planet.

I also should probably point out that just because I didn't see CA and its cousins, does not mean they are not there. I have purposely avoided sensetizing myself to see them.

Last edited by SteveC99; 08/29/08.

Steve

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by FrankD
A little further south.....Ship.

But my sister went there....;)

I went there too....:)

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Since it's common knowledge now, who is the manufacturer, and what is the price?

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Since it's common knowledge now, who is the manufacturer, and what is the price?

-jeff

Really, this whole thing is sort of like Jr High.... cool

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by SteveC99

I also should probably point out that just because I didn't see CA and its cousins, does not mean they are not there. I have purposely avoided sensetizing myself to see them.

Steve,

I can see CA fairly easily in any binocular. I can see it in an FL though it is much better controlled than other bins I have owned. I can see it in the Promaster and it is there a little more than the FL but less than the Swaro EL.

My "experiences" with the binocular have only been over the last 24 hours. I did try it last night in total darkness. The images it provided of dimly-lit building was very sharp. I thought the image did have some snap to it. I can tell when the image is in perfect focus for my eyes.

I did not "dunk" mine yet for the same reason Steve mentioned. Other people have to review it. I will do later today though just for peace of mind.

I think Steve mentioned it but close focus on these bins is very good. Equal to that of the FLs at just under 6 feet for my eyes.

Last edited by FrankD; 08/29/08.

Frank
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Frank
I guess lots of people see CA etc easier than I do. I'm almost tempted to feel for those who do. Some people just have it hit them right between the eyes and some have messed themselves up by nit picking faults on all of the binoculars thy have had. The result is that they can see it in anything. I guess I'm lucky because I don't have to have $1,550++ binoculars. I don't get the idea at all from your posts that you are a nit picker, I therefore conclude your eyes are in the "just happen to be sensitive to the damned stuff category". In a way that's good for eyes like mine because we can get good opinions from you on what out there is best/worst for it. However I'm not immune to it in everything. For example the Pentax SP design shows CA quite obviously to me, so I do get where people are coming from on the subject. I just want to point out that I'm maybe not the best opinion out there on CA and its deviant little family.

On another note:

If you are on the list and live at Tulip Lane, the little Brown truck should show up Wednesday. It went out yesterday 3rd day air. Hit me with a PM and I'll get you the tracking #.

Steve

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

-jeff

Really, this whole thing is sort of like Jr High.... cool

Dober

AGREE!!
I have NO clue who the manuafcturer is, and everyone is talking like it's common knowledge???
How about letting the rest of us know guys????

Last edited by DMB; 08/30/08.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I see where you guys are coming from. Doug has done a lot of thing for the campfire and I won't step on his wishes further. I now even regret saying I knew what they were.

Now, here's the thing. Even if I told you what they were, the country of origin is not available. I think that is because the company website doesn't say and the one retailar I found with them listed really doesn't have them yet and they can't look at the box to tell you if you ask, which I did. Knowing the name will tell you nothing. The infomercial on the website lists nothing more than a lesser picture than what Rick Bin has posted and the specs and a couple of paragraphs salesmanship. The retailer just cut and pasted from the website.

The performance has been pretty well listed. The price level has indeed been identified.

I'm not clairvoyant, and I didn't bribe Doug. I didn't figure out what they were without exactly the same information that is in the original thread from Rick Bin, from what VA posted and from what Frank and I have posted. Now if you can' figure out how to get there from here, I can be of no further help. I'm surprised the whole world doesn't know it by now. Another forum with other information has also been listed in the various mystery posts. Pay attention, its there.

Last edited by SteveC99; 08/30/08.

Steve

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In my opinion, knowing the manufacturer and model doesn't really matter. I know them now and have never heard of them prior to seeing the advertisement for these binoculars. However, another thread on another forum has some references to past models from this manufacturer. None of them were stellar. Having said that, there is a non-ED unit with slightly different, but very attractive specs, for around $150 (8x42 model). This intrigues me because most of the sub $200 phase coated roofs I have tried were not worth owning. Having said that though who would have guessed that a $500 roof prism could perform at an Alpha level. Not I prior to trying out this bin.

The more I try this bin the more I am really enjoying its optical performance. Some of its physical charateristics and mechanics could use some improvement but when you consider the savings verus optical performance I can live with it.

I am not sure if I mentioned it on this forum but after trying this new bin I have decided to sell both of my Els. I just cannot justify the performance vs. price after using this new binocular.

Frank
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FrankD
I am not sure if I mentioned it on this forum but after trying this new bin I have decided to sell both of my Els. I just cannot justify the performance vs. price after using this new binocular.

That's a hell of a commitment!

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Frank,

I think maybe you've been out in the sun too long.... grin

They're really that good?......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Or maybe his ELs were just really that bad?! grin

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,015
Posts18,500,331
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.