-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Im thinking about getting another slug gun and have done some research on the Deer Slayer but want to make sure the info Im getting on line is accurate.

sounds like there super accurate with even a smooth bore barrel, is this true? Are the barrels screwed to the receiver and non removeable? I like that feature.

You guys that have them or had them please let me know what you think of them and what kind of accuracy to expect and if they have any issues,

Thanks

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used mine as a 'drilling' years ago before I got the Sauer. Its good for birds up close like grouse in the woods as well as game with the slugs.

Mine has a short 20" barrel. I am not sure about all of them. If I remember right one just loosens a nut on the end of the magazine tube and the barrel can be removed with half a turn.

The accuracy was about 2 moa at 100 yds. No bad at all.

A scope mount can clamp on that sight base on the barrel.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have the 20" smoothbore. It is very satisfactory at 100 yards as Savage 99 says - the 2 minute of angle is right on. It shoots Fosters just as well at 100 yards as my rifled 1300 shoots sabots. I have started using Peters (Remington is the same) 7/8 ounce slugs. In the past I shot 1 ounce Winchesters and was very happy with them, but I believe the 7/8 are even more accurate. Very pleasant gun to handle and shoot. If you mount a scope on the rear sight base, you will need to use an extended eye relief scope. I have a 2 3/4 Burris Scout Scope mounted in Tasco Zee rings that has worked very well for me. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
These guns shot 2 inchs at 100, man thats great. How do the barrels come off and do ALL deer slayers have the barrels screwed on?

Thanks for the help guys.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am not as up on this as I am sure that other people are, but here is what (I think) I know. The original Deerslayer barrels fit on 37 receivers just by turning the magazine cap nut (my terms) - very simple. I believe that somewhere along the line there may have been some sort of change where there is a difference in how the barrel and receiver mate, so that there are some that will not interchange (based on age). Hopefully someone can clear that up if it is wrong. There was a Deerslayer II version as well as a Deerslayer III version. Again, if I have it correct, I believe that one if not both of these had a fixed (and longer) barrel. Perhaps the difference between II and III was a rifled barrel? (I am speculating here.) Like I said, this is all the working of an often muddled memory. I would like to hear the straight dope from someone who really knows. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I thought on the older ones it was like Savage 99 said, 1/4 turn and they come off. The whole shank is threaded but has cuts in the threads for removal, but when installed its like a totalyh threaded barrel due to all the treads being used.

Hope Im right, if not someone set me straight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You are correct about the 1/4 turn removal as well as about the threads. It seems to lock up really solidly.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
1/4 turn to remove the barrel

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by passport

sounds like there super accurate with even a smooth bore barrel, is this true?
You guys that have them or had them please let me know what you think of them and what kind of accuracy to expect and if they have any issues,
Thanks

What I can tell you is the Ithaca 37's are the best slug guns going, and you'd never go wrong with one. Don't ever let anyone ever tell you you need a rifled barrel either, those guns can do amazing things with a smoothbore barrel and a rigidly mounted scope.

This evening, just before dusk, my son shot a large doe with the Ithaca 37, 12 gauge, Bushnell Banner 1.5X4.5 variable scope mounted in a Weaver converta-mount, Winchester 2 3/4 foster slug and a smoothbore slug barrel. Distance was 129 (yes, 129) lasered yards. One shot, bang flop, she never took another step.

Now the history of the gun, LOL. Manufactured in 1963. Purchased by me as a kid in 1967, used for 75 dollars. Purchased a smoothboore slug barrel in 1969 for 60 dollars. Mounted the scope sometime after I had kids and could afford it. Shot a load of deer with that gun, passed it onto my son, and he is doing the same. Never had a problem or hiccup with that gun, and it's seen a few rounds in it's time, anything from quail to deer and everything inbetween for both first and second generation hunters that have used it.

Incidentally, that shot was not a fluke, it's not the first time and won't be the last. We practice with the smoothbore slugguns from 25 to 150 yards regularly, and know what they can, and more importantly, can't do.

Garry

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gary, I've got your back on the accuracy of the 37 smoothbores. Did you drill and tap your receiver? I have a Scout Scope mounted on the rear sight base. Best, John

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Gary, I've got your back on the accuracy of the 37 smoothbores. Did you drill and tap your receiver? I have a Scout Scope mounted on the rear sight base. Best, John

John,
No, this receiver isn't drilled and tapped, it utilizes the Weaver 'Converta mount' which is a 2 piece bridge or saddle type mount, one piece permanently attached to the left side of the receiver, second piece mounts to that piece with 2 large thumbscrews, and scope is attached to the 2nd piece. Best bridge or saddle mount I've ever seen, scope is instantly removeable via the 2 thuumscrews, and always holds zero as it aligns to the receiver piece via a machined grove. Alas, they don't make it for an Ithaca 37 anymore.

Here is a link for the Weaver converta mount if you are interested in looking at it.

http://www.weaver-mounts.com/products/shotgunAndPistol.aspx

Last edited by Wink_man; 12/08/08. Reason: added a link

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Garry, thanks for the information. I was curious because I had been advised against drilling and tapping the 37 receiver. Certainly sounds like a good system you have. As I said, I have the Scout Scope out on the rear sight base. It has served well, but you cannot turn the barrel out with the scope on, so each barrel change necessitates removing it. It has been very good about returning to point of aim when it is replaced, however. Always nice to visit with someone who knows the best when it comes to slug pump guns. Best, John

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Garry, thanks for the information. I was curious because I had been advised against drilling and tapping the 37 receiver. Certainly sounds like a good system you have. As I said, I have the Scout Scope out on the rear sight base. It has served well, but you cannot turn the barrel out with the scope on, so each barrel change necessitates removing it. It has been very good about returning to point of aim when it is replaced, however. Always nice to visit with someone who knows the best when it comes to slug pump guns. Best, John

John,
I don't know if they're the best, I just know they work, and they hold zero no matter how many times you take them on and off. We've used this mount successfully for years on the Ithaca 37, a 20 gauge (pre 1977) 1100, a 12 gauge 1100, and a 12 gauge 1187. We pull the scopes off, put them back on, and don't even check for zero anymore, don't have to, time has proven to us they are always on the money.

Last edited by Wink_man; 12/08/08.

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
this is pics of the saddle mount i use sorry they aren't the greatest pics.Just replace the rear screw and save it

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the parkerized D.S. Police Special and, at 50 m, it keeps Brenneke slugs touching. Though, I've never considered hunting with it as I prefer rifles by far.
[Linked Image]

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The older Model 37s had barrels that were removable. Some of the new deerslayers have fixed barrels. I have several Ihacas-my experience is that they are great slug guns. I prefer using a rifled barrel. But I also have two smoothbore deerslayer barrels. I find a HUGE difference when it comes to recoil. A rifled barrel results in less recoil. The smoothbores hurt, make me cry like a woman after shooting. The rifled barrel is much more mild.
Mounting to the barrel is not the best option for a removeable barrel, because when removing and reinstalling, it will not be EXACTLY the same. Ithaca soon realized this, and opted for Williams receiver sights. I have drilled and tapped the receivers of a couple of Model 37s, I am not sure what the problem is that some have mentioned.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 18 invisible), 1,676 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,804
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.