-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Has anyone tried this coating on any of their guns or heard positive/negatives on Black Ice Coating Comapany ?

Tacksmacker

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
First I've heard of it. Couldn't get a company's name through a search engine, got a link?
Birdsong's Black-T coating is quite nice.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have two guns done by Black Ice and I've been extremely pleased with Lee's work. The teflon based coating has a smoother surface than Cerakote or Duracoat and has held up very well for me while travelling through choked alder underbrush. The only wear I've noticed has been on the back of the locking lugs, but that was expected. He's got a turn around time of two to three weeks and returns calls and e-mails within a day. Very good customer service.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Kay9cop, I am sending a 24v savage to him for the shop, before and after picture. It looked horrible but smooth. He is very responsive to emails and calls, that is a plus these days. I wanted to hear just what you said as I will have some work for him and don't want complaints coming back.
PS, where are you on the job, I am retiring 5/11 after 26 years.

RIDE HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND DON'T LIE !!

Trying to get to the point in life where all I need is
BEER.....BEANS...and...AMMO
A
A
Don't rule out the Black-T coating process. I just had a Savage 11 FCNS done by Tyle Birdsong and crew and I am very impressed with the quality of the product. I am meticulous about my stuff so I spent a lot of time doing research before sending them the gun and I would not hesitate for a minute to send them another one when I am ready to have one coated. www.black-t.com and you can call and speak with Tyler he loves to talk to you. Turn around time was two weeks

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have several guns coated with Cerakote and with Black-T from Birdsong. Cerakote is much more durable and abrasive resistant. Black-T is much smoother and has a softer feel to it. The cerakote will not scratch off at all but is not as slick as the Black-T. The best part about Black-T is that they coat everything on the gun. They break down the trigger and all its internal springs, bolt, mag box, spring, everything but the follower. It is fully protected. It is not as tough and will wear in a few places. They say that it does not affect the protection though when it wears. Turn around time is 8-12 weeks though depending on how busy they are. I have been very pleased with them and their service. The Cerakote is also an excellent product and most guys will get you back going in 1-2 weeks. I am pleased with both and wouldn't hesitate to use either depending on the time frame. Cost is the same.
Lee

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have had mulitple rifles done by Lee at Blackicecoatings.com If you want to have a look, that is me in the testimonials w/ one of the moose I have taken while using a rifle w/ his product. I have yet to have a problem. When I first had a rifle done, he told me that if it ever flaked or chipped, he would do it again for free...hows that for customer service.

I had a rifle sent to Karl and he asked me who did the coating. I asked him if there was something wrong? He said he was very impressed and that he even did the inside where the firing pin was. Karl asked me for his # and Lee did tell me that Karl did in fact call him.

Lee is by far the cheapest that I found to do coatings at around $125.00. One advise of caution: after you have one done you will want the rest done.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.