Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I found a Sig P938 in stock at Top Gun Supply. I called my local guy and asked when it would be possible to put my hands on one locally. He said it would be a while for him to get one, and to buy it if I wanted it. I ordered it on 5/31. The FFL was faxed on 6/1 and I received it today. It comes with one magazine. At this time, spare magazines cost $700 and come with a free Sig P938.

The gun has a sticker on the box with a �born on� date of 5/24/12. It has a prefix and 3 zeros and 4XX, which makes it the earliest serial number of any gun I ever have owned.

I knew the P238 had birthing pains, and I knew I was going to be a beta tester and did not expect perfection. I drove straight to the range with a scrounged box of 115 gr. Winchester White Box (WWB) and some 124 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Because I was expecting trouble, I did something I never do. I stripped the gun and cleaned and lubed it. I noticed that the recoil spring was very stiff, and I had a hard time getting it back on the guide rod and settled in the correct position. The magazine spring was very stiff and it was difficult to load the sixth (last) round.

I took some pictures with a P238. The P238 has about 250 rounds through it and is pretty slicked up. The P238 feels like a toy next to the P938. The recoil spring on the P238 is very loose compared to the P938. A three year old could probably rack the P238 but not the P938. After dry firing the P238 for several hundred rounds, it has a much lighter, smoother, trigger pull. The P938 is heftier, and the sharply checkered G10 grips grab the hand much more firmly than the smooth Lego grip on the P238. The P938 also has very sharp checking on the frontstrap and the backstrap, as opposed to wide grooves on the P238.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I fired the first 6 shots at 10 yards with WWB. I had 3 failures to eject. In each instance, the fired round remained in the chamber and the next round was trying to feed. I figured it would be a return trip to the factory tomorrow. However, I have read that WWB isn�t really hot stuff, so I loaded 6 Gold Dots and fed them from slide lock. In the P238 I had a few instances during break in where Gold Dots would hang up on the ramp and needed to be bumped or fed using the slingshot. I tripped the lever on the P938 and it felt like it had a slight hesitation but it fed the first Gold Dot. Those 6 fired fine. I went back to WWB and shot some more. The magazine spring loosened up and maybe the recoil spring. I did not experience another malfunction with either WWB or the other 6 Gold Dots I fired. I also tried my standard �limp wrist� test that involves holding the gun with one hand as loosely as I dare (to avoid dropping it) with broken wrist and elbow and firing it. I only shot 6 that way, three with each hand, but no trouble. The wind was blowing very hard and it the target was giving me fits, so I could not shoot as much as I wanted. I figure I shot about 70 rounds. Again, the only problems were with the first magazine.

The recoil is stiffer than the P238, but it was not unpleasant in the least. With the P238 I could lock up and hold the gun and cycle through a magazine very fast and stay on target after taking one sight picture. The P938 would take more work and this technique may not be possible, at least for me, with the P938. The P238 is easily a 25 yard gun. The P938 probably is one also, but I have not gotten the sights regulated, and it also needs to be dry fired a bunch more to smooth things up.

One common problem for me is that I usually have to dial sights to the right. This gun was no exception. (The P238 actually was an exception, but upon inspection it appears to be drifted more to the right from the factory than the P938). I used a punch and rubber mallet and moved the sights and the groups, but I still need to do a little more work on this, and I tread lightly when doing this with night sights. The gun did not shoot way low like those 2 guys experienced in the C&R Reviews on You Tube.

The gun did fit in the Sig Sauer pocket holster made for the P238, but it would not be practical for the P938 because the fit was very tight. It fit fine in a DeSantis ankle holster marketed for the P238 but the thumb break would have to be adjusted differently. The dinky "Fobus-like" holster that came with the P238 would not work at all. I misplaced the Nemisis I bought a couple of weeks ago, so that test has to wait. If I put the guns in my pocket without a holster, the P238 definitely is less noticeable, but the P938 still does not appear to weigh as much as a steel S&W Centennial 5 shot revolver. You get the print of the edge of the rear bottom of the grip as opposed to the cylinder.

I like the ambidextrous safety on the P938 because it allows me to carry in either pocket or on either ankle in a backup capacity, and the safety can easily be manipulated with the weak hand. Of course, lefties should really love it. One feature about the 238/938 design is that, if the hammer is cocked, you can retract the slide with the safety on, so you can load it or clear it without taking it off safe. (If the hammer is down the safety locks the slide when activated.)

Measurements

I know a lot of people want to know measurements in addition to the ones on the spec sheet. The overall dimensions don�t really help because a brick could have the same overall dimensions and would not feel the same in the hand or ride the same in the pocket. I took calipers to the P238 and the P938, and put them both on an old school analog postal scale, and here are some of the differences (P.S. I am not an engineer, so don�t hold me to this stuff):

Grip length from frontstrap to backstrap halfway between the trigger guard and the bottom of the frame:
P238 1.74�
P938 1.9�

Height from top of slide to bottom of dust cover:
P238 1.23�
P938 1.26�

Width of grip (difference could be the material used):
P238 .908�
P938 .912"

Slide width near muzzle:
P238 .816�
P938 .882

Weight empty with magazine:
P238 15 ounces
P938 17.5 ounces

Weight loaded with 6 rounds:
P238 Slightly over 17 ounces
P938 approximately 19.5 ounces

These dimension differences may look negligible on paper, but they do make a difference in heft, weight in the pocket, and printing in the pocket. On a belt or an ankle, I doubt it would make the slightest difference, making the P938 the obvious choice.

My overall impression is very favorable. This gun is a keeper and, at least when spare magazines become readily available, it renders obsolete the S&W Centennials unless you think you may be firing while the gun is in your pocket. I think that someone trying to decide between one or the other needs to consider the mission. If it purely is a backup, the carrier may be willing to give up some power and take the P238, although the lack of an ambidextrous safety on a standard model is a limiting factor. I may choose to replace the P938 grips with something smoother, which would aid in pocket carry with, I suspect, no appreciable difference in shootability.

In the end, the difference may come down to this distinction:

[Linked Image]

Wtxj jumped on one of these as well. So, hopefully, within a few days, we will be able to read his impressions.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 06/05/12.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very nice review,thanks!!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the review; I want one!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I really, really want one...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for all the trouble of the report, I won't be getting one but it is nice to know they are decent guns.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
interesting report, thanks. My P238 needed adjustment to extractor tension, so perhap your P938 might need tweaking as well in that regard.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just put another 83 rounds downrange, consisting of the left over 115 WWB, a few 115 Blazers, about a half box of some Federal hollowpoints (probably 115s) and a measly three 124 gr. Gold Dots.

I tried to burn through the WWBs that didn�t work so well my first trip out to the range. On round 21, I had another failure to eject of the same kind as the first 3, but the case partially extracted. There were no other problems with any ammo. The hollowpoints all fed well, including from slide lock. I wish I had brought more Gold Dots. I know when I am shooting them, and the cases of the three I shot ejected pretty far. Two were 4 paces away and 1 was 8 paces away. The others all ejected all over the place, most near, a few far, but the Gold Dots kicked out.

I am not sweating it because I wouldn�t dream of carrying it before getting spare magazines. Further, if the Gold Dots work, that�s all I need to know. I need to bring a lot more to the range next trip.

I still am not used to the trigger. It needs a lot more dry firing to lighten up.

The safety on the right side now rattles when the safety is on. It is not as bad as some magazines rattle. It does not do that when the safety is disengaged.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Sig P938 came in today and is in my possession.
Cheyenne, Thanks for the tip about where to order the p938.

Going to be fun. No time to shoot it until next week sometime.
As far as the looks, feel, weight etc. same as above. Fits in the same pocket hoister as yours did.
Mine is in the low 400's numbers also as far as serial #.
First impression of the trigger is different than the 238 model. Will see what range time will do to lighten it up a might bit.
The process will be lots of fun.
Going to start with WWB, found one 100 box and will let you know if I have any FTF's or other problems.

Last edited by Wtxj; 06/07/12.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks for the write-up Cheyenne. I really liked the Sig 238 I had and it looks like the 938 is a real winner. Colt is getting one-upped in a serious way by SIG these days!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30/35 rounds down range so far. Used WWB and found out the box is not worth a cra-. Was standing in 107 index temps, at Rogers deer/hog lease to shoot this pistol. Bent over to pick up the box and it feel apart. 80 on the ground in the dirt. Had not had a FTE for the first 15 shots but they started after that. Had 3, one in each mag after the box fell apart.
Will give it a good cleaning then told Roger I will take it to a indoor range where standing in the humid heat is not a factor.
Fun to shoot, not too much recoil and it fits in my pocket just as well as the P238 does. In fact this p938 is easier to pull out of my pocket than the 238 is/was.

Will try to get to the range in the next several days, with clean WWB and a cleaned pistol. Well give a better test at that time.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the report. You may want to look on Sig Forum too, as there are some threads there including my cross post with some commments from others. It appears to me that people are not having trouble with the full strength carry loads as much as with the cheap practice stuff. Also, you may want to try lubing it with the grease Sig supplies in the box. The gun is pretty tight right out of the box.

I have noticed that the trigger has some repeatable creep that I do not have in the P238. I am suprised to learn that you find it easier to draw than the P238, because I don't.

I backordered some spare magazines from Sig yesterday, and was told approximately 3 weeks. You can order them for $46 a piece for 6 or 7 rounders, plus shipping, or 3 for $110 shipped. No brainer on that decision.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This afternoon, on the second round of the second magazine of 124 gr. Gold Dots, I had a failure to fully eject. I fired a total of 48 Gold Dots and a couple of magazines of 115 Federal JHPs, with no other trouble. It may be going back for a check, but I am too busy to send it off right now. I'll probably shoot a bunch of 124 Blazer and Gold Dots next week and make a final decision. It's a cool little gun, though.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm a bit surprised at the FTE malf's you've been having, as every SIG I've had has been Germanically perfect right out of the box.

However, this small frame gun almost sounds like a new Kahr pistol... Kahrs are notorious for needing 200+ rounds through them to "dial in". I wonder if the tighter tolerances in small pistols leads to this issue?

In any event, I'd fire a good 200-300 rounds thru this pistola before sending it back to the factory, and I'd lube it until it drips down your wrist while shooting. That's what works with Kahrs and tight custom-made 1911's, in my experience.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did have one mistake in my prior post. I did have one other malfunction, but it basically was self-induced. I fired 3 strong hand and 3 weak hand 124 Gold Dots in my "limp wrist" test, which is basically holding the gun as loosely as possible, with as few fingers as possible, bent wrist and bent elbow. On the second round weak hand, I had a failure to feed. The spent case had ejected, the extractor was not engaged, and the case had fed about half way. That one was not the gun's fault. It also was the first failure of that kind.

As for your particular comments, the gun is well lubed using Break Free and the TW whatever stuff they put in the gun box. I have learned that Sigs like to run wet, so I indulge it. It is a tight gun by traditional 1911 standards, but maybe not by newer custom and semi-custom standards.

I am not giving up on this one. At worst, it seems like it may need an extractor tweak.

I don't want to go into my one Kahr experience.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Any chance of a picture in your open palm and then another of a pistol with some size to it (like a glock, 1911, or whatever)?

Like this?
[Linked Image]

Last edited by supercrewd; 06/13/12.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here you go:

Sig P938
[Linked Image]

Glock 30 with standard 10 round magazine
[Linked Image]

Sig P938 vs Glock 30 with standard 10 round magazine
[Linked Image]

Sig P938 vs. Glock 30 with optional 9 round magazine (discontinued from what I read)
[Linked Image]

Side by side comparison Glock 30 and Sig P938
[Linked Image]

I realized after doing all this that I should have cocked the hammer on the Sig, but I did not have time to do it again.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Fair enough. Keep at it then, brother.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shot about 50 down range.
WWB 2nd and third mag had FTE, I gave up on WWB in a P938.
Went to American Eagle 115's. Shot 5 mags (25) had no FTE.
Otherwise pistol worked just fine. Need more mags (backordered)
Trigger is not the P238 or P226 trigger, guess I'm spoiled on that end. Trigger works fine, just different than the others I have shot.
Going to be a great pistol after I receive the extra mags, IWB, and figure out and shoot whatever defensive load this weapon eats the best.

Very hot at the in door range, no AC, so I just shot and left.
Finished up the box of WWB in my P226, it will eat anything. grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DocRocket

In any event, I'd fire a good 200-300 rounds thru this pistola before sending it back to the factory, and I'd lube it until it drips down your wrist while shooting.

Well, Doc, I took your advice and ran it extra sloppy tonight with Break Free and TW whatever, and it ran a box of 124 Blazers with zero issues and very positive ejection including shooting from retention and rapid fire. I have the hang of the trigger and it was IPSC A zone accurate at 25 yards with reasonable speed. The other thing I did was leave the chamber loaded for a day (duh, I didn't think about it until yesterday) because the external extractor tension seemed a bit tight compared to traditional internal extractor 1911 type guns (including the P238). The slide to frame fit has loosened up as well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Total round count 250 to date.

The left grip screw has loosened and had to be retightened. I don't like the sharp checkering all around and I probably will wrap some electrical tape around the handle until aftermarkets show up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.