Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You asked if I had to settle on one scope for rimfires, what would I pick? I already did. smile This is a Hawke Vantage 4x32 AO with a mildot reticle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-4x32-ao-mil-dot.html

4 powers are pretty much set and forget optics, but this particular model has proven to be versatile for me. I have two. One is on a 22LR The other is on a 22 Magnum.

The adjustable objective means that you don't have to worry about parallax.

The tracking is pretty good, and it has fully multi-coated lenses.

This target is a sighting in target. The first was low at about 7 o'clock. The second, a bit high at 12 o'clock. I brought it down a bit and put the rest into this cluster.

Granted, small groups are easy to make at 50 yards. For little rimfires, it's all I need.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Burris 4x12 mini AO [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
With all the mentions of Burris scopes, I went exploring on their website and found a neat little tool for using their Ballistic Plex or any other reticle. I'm sure many of you have already seen this but I hadn't poked around their website in quite a while.

https://www.burrisoptics.com/ballistic-tools

Choose Reticle Analysis from the menu at the bottom of the page and you can enter your exact scope, reticle, specific ammo and environmental conditions and it will show you the path of the bullet at each hash mark on the reticle. You can play around with zero range to find the most useful intersections.

E.g., I used a Fullfield II 3-9x40 with Ballistic Plex reticle - the one Amazon is selling for $135 - and 40 grain Federal Automatch (UM22). Zeroed at 60 yards the bullet path crosses the first hash mark at 74 yards and the second one at 97 yards, close enough to 75 and 100 for field work.

[Linked Image from burrisballistics.com]

Obviously twisting knobs or a more detailed reticle, i.e. busier, will be more precise but for a simple hunting scope that's pretty useful dope.

Good post Jim. That is a fun reticle to mess with. It works with a lot of different cartridges. Back in the old days, Burris just supplied a chart for different cartridges, and that worked well. They were actually stickers, so you could put them on the scope, if you wanted. Takes a lot of guesswork out of it..
One step further. Some of my Burris scopes came with a coupon. Fill in the pet load data and mail it in. Burris shipped back custom yard marked turret matched to the load for free.

They never did that with the FFII. I agree though, if you have a Burris scope with that option, take advantage of it. I know I have with my AR 556 and AR7.62 scopes. However, I have to reiterate this: The FFII is not a scope you dial.. The sweet and strong point of that scope, is entirely it's reticle.. Take that for what you want..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sqweeler
Burris 4x12 mini AO [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

That's one of my favorite rifles here. Thanks for posting!!

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks BSA,She shoot's fantastic.

IC B2

N
N
Shot this spruce grouse in the head at 20 yards with my 39A mounted with a Leupold® VX-Freedom 2-7x33mm Rimfire scope
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
i like the hawke 4x12ao airmax scope

F
F
Hi - On my Savage B22 and CZ-455 SS Lux I use a Covenant-4 6-24x50 FFP, 6x is low enough for close shots and the 24x is good out to 100 for targets. On my CZ-457 VMTR I use an Athlon Argos 8-34x56 FFP. The rifle is too heavy for 'long walks' but is Heck on targets. My 2014 Marlin-60 just has a Tasco 4-12x40 Sportsman Plus SFP w-side-parallax, just a lot of fun grin
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Fasteddie01; 04/13/24. Reason: fixin' pics
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
You asked if I had to settle on one scope for rimfires, what would I pick? I already did. smile This is a Hawke Vantage 4x32 AO with a mildot reticle.

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/vantage-4x32-ao-mil-dot.html

4 powers are pretty much set and forget optics, but this particular model has proven to be versatile for me. I have two. One is on a 22LR The other is on a 22 Magnum.

The adjustable objective means that you don't have to worry about parallax.

The tracking is pretty good, and it has fully multi-coated lenses.

This target is a sighting in target. The first was low at about 7 o'clock. The second, a bit high at 12 o'clock. I brought it down a bit and put the rest into this cluster.

Granted, small groups are easy to make at 50 yards. For little rimfires, it's all I need.

Looks good Steve. That must be an older Savage. Not D&T, for scope bases? I like the looks of the scope mount you are using. Seems simple, yet very effective. I saw a really nice Lakefield MK2 the other day, that was made in Canada. It was like new, and priced at $199.99 locally. I'd probably have to do something similar, since it is not d&t for scope mounts. Or I could run 3/8" dovetailed rings. My preference is for newer Mk2's that have scope bases though. Just recently put a scope back on my Savage MK1 FVT target rifle:

Running Leupold PRW's on that one, with one of my favorite scopes on top (Burris AR556/7.62 4.5-14x42)

Here's my A17, with the same scope and Talley lightweights:

When the targets get really small (even at 50 yards), it's nice to have a little more power (x's).

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My Savage MKII TR wears a Freedom VX 6-18X
If I score an Anschutz 64 sporter of some sort, will look for a minty 3.5-10X AO glossy Vari Xiii

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hookeye
My Savage MKII TR wears a Freedom VX 6-18X
If I score an Anschutz 64 sporter of some sort, will look for a minty 3.5-10X AO glossy Vari Xiii

That would look sweet on that rifle. Good luck on getting the Anny.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
My primary squirrel rifle is an ancient Remington bolt rifle. I have a Bushnell 3-9x rimfire scope on it. Works fine. On my general hunting rifle, a Marlin 39A Golden Mountie, I have a Leupold 2-7x that has never failed me.

Sam......

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I just put a Hawke vantage 3x9 on my Bergara BMR

It's a saddle gun for hunting with yhe dogs. That AO is
Handy on the rimfire

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got three 22 rf rifles, for now, a Ruger 77-22 and two 10-22s. All have Leupold 2-7 centerfire scopes that seem to fit the rifles pretty good. I reset the parallax to 50 yards. With that kind of magnification I don't do any serious target shooting so I don't know if changing the parallax makes a lot of difference but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
I've got three 22 rf rifles, for now, a Ruger 77-22 and two 10-22s. All have Leupold 2-7 centerfire scopes that seem to fit the rifles pretty good. I reset the parallax to 50 yards. With that kind of magnification I don't do any serious target shooting so I don't know if changing the parallax makes a lot of difference but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

43, it probably helps a little. Like they say, "every little bit helps". That's not saying standard scopes like those and the 3-9x40 wont work though. As I've shown in some of the pics. A lot of it has to do with your shooting position, and how consistent your cheek weld is. It's always a good idea to check for parallax error too, as every scope is different. The Burris 3-9x40 that I put on one of my new to me rifles didn't seem to be effected much at all, when shooting at 50 yards.

As I read through all of these answers, as to which ones guys like the best, it's hard to find fault in any of them. Proof that a lot of different scopes work well on rimfire rifles. I used to run Simmons Aetec rifle scopes on my 10/22's, and those dang things were the ticket back in the day. The old 2.8-10x44 Aetecs were nice and clear, and I always hit what I was aiming at. Back in the days when I used a lot of Remington yellow jackets too.

BSA MAGA
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
those aetecs were great scopes, even the old 44mags were. Simmons had some good stuff back in the day. One of my favorite scopes I have is an old Whitetail Expedition, that was their top of the line.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by killerv
those aetecs were great scopes, even the old 44mags were. Simmons had some good stuff back in the day. One of my favorite scopes I have is an old Whitetail Expedition, that was their top of the line.

I agree killerv. I was looking at an older Simmons today. The parallax adjusted down to 10 yards. It was a 6.5-20x44. It looked pretty nice, but had a nick in the ocular lens. I would have bought it, and threw it on one of my rimfires, if it did not have the nick in the glass!!!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A Baby Redfield 4x is my scope of choice on most of my rimfires. My Springfield 1922 M2 Custom Sporter wears a Lyman Alaskan in a Griffin & Howe mount, went pure nostalgia as far as the scope on that one. The ALaskan has a 2 minute LEE dot and if I do my part it easily puts 50 rounds into one ragged hole @ 50yds. with CCI Std. Vel. ammo.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

273 members (160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 69sportfury, 22 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,117
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.