Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by cisco1
As good as Kroil.

Would like to hear how and why you came to that conclusion, since they are entirely different products with very different effects on rifle bores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
All Snake oil !

That is how I came to the conclusion.

Based on many years experience.

OK ?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by cisco1
All Snake oil !

That is how I came to the conclusion.

Based on many years experience.

OK ?

Being more descriptive is inorder.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jwp475
Being more descriptive is in order.

Yep, as in actual details of how you came to that conclusion.

Can provide the details why I came to the opposite conclusion about DBC in 2007, which I was apparently first gun writer to thoroughly test it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well John IIRC a Doug Burche from Dyna Tek admitted in an email they some bad batches go out that contained no ceramics just alcohol in 2015. But fact is what you tested in 07 isn’t exactly the same components.

Swifty
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Well John IIRC a Doug Burche from Dyna Tek admitted in an email they some bad batches go out that contained no ceramics just alcohol in 2015. But fact is what you tested in 07 isn’t exactly the same components.

I bought some in 2016 and coated the barrel of my AR15 6.8 SPC and it worked just like Mule Deer (JB) said that it would. Infact it is still working today.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Swifty,

Doug Burche was the guy who introduced me to DBC, and he would know what he's talking about. But I've used DBC as recently as maybe 3-4 years ago, and it worked just like the first stuff did--which I know due to using the Hawkeye bore-scope I've owned for over 20 years.

If you could provide some more details about how today's DBC isn't the same stuff would appreciate it--just as I would appreciate more details from cisco.

John

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Swifty,

Doug Burche was the guy who introduced me to DBC, and he would know what he's talking about. But I've used DBC as recently as maybe 3-4 years ago, and it worked just like the first stuff did--which I know due to using the Hawkeye bore-scope I've owned for over 20 years.

If you could provide some more details about how today's DBC isn't the same stuff would appreciate it--just as I would appreciate more details from cisco.

John
I worked closely with Doug Burche to get Dyna-Tek products into Canada for the first time. Since that time, I’ve likely coated dozens of barrels, as recently as a few days ago.

It has always worked as advertised, and mine has not gone bad, even previously opened bottles, when stored in the basement.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jordan,

Just checked my last batch, which is also stored in my basement, above my cleaning bench. Still good.

But am still waiting to hear from cisco1 about exactly how DBC failed....

John

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

John

I don't think he'll be back in this threa, he made a stupid post and ran away.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

John

I don't think he'll be back in this threa, he made a stupid post and ran away.

Yeah, cisco and Swifty make a formidable team regarding DBC.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have been busy ...

In my experience, I have built a number of custom rifles . Using a variety of barrels, from air-quaged Douglas to Shilen, etc. I like Pac-Nor the best.

I always wanted to take good care of my firearms, both pistols and rifles.

I have become a skeptic . After using a multitude of products , including all the mentioned , and many others . I have used products from Brownells , oh, sounded so good.

I used a diamond coated product , can't remember the name , However , I have kept everything around ....for a bad example.
I considered laser- pulse heating for nano-ceramic fusion. Also, Otis tech ceramic barrel liner.
In lubrication you have at least 2 factors :Hydrodynamic lubrication and Boundary Lubrication.
I don't shoot as much as I used to. I had 100 M range at home and 2 ranges I belonged to. I never punched paper after sighting in , very much.

All that being said I have not observed any benefit of afore-mentioned products .

That is my decidedly limited experience.

I will say ,I wanted to see a difference .

A couple of observations : if someone sends something to test to a "Tester", well, I know how that will turn out.

If you all see a diff, even a perceived diff, if it makes you feel good use it.

Put it on your pancakes if you like.

Now, want to talk powder coated bullets.........?

That is all on this subject.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
This stuff has been along long enough, and I have heard mostly good things about it, I am going to try it for myself.

How many rifles will one bottle coat? How many coats does it take to work best?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
This stuff has been along long enough, and I have heard mostly good things about it, I am going to try it for myself.

How many rifles will one bottle coat? How many coats does it take to work best?
If you are careful, catching excess into the bottle as you pass back through the muzzle, etc., one bottle will do 6-8 rifles, IME. It typically takes a single coat, but barrels that are particularly bad foulers sometimes benefit from a second application.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Jordan Smith and Mule Deer (JB) have touted DBC as being a revolutionary godsend for many years.......I have tried it in several rifles. A couple it worked very well in, a couple it worked with limited success, a couple there was no improvement at all.
Try it but keep an open mind, might not be the miracle that you are looking for

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Jordan Smith and Mule Deer (JB) have touted DBC as being a revolutionary godsend for many years.......I have tried it in several rifles. A couple it worked very well in, a couple it worked with limited success, a couple there was no improvement at all.
I’ve never made those claims. At best, it significantly reduces cleaning requirements, and at worst, it makes no difference. Never seen it be detrimental in any way.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor

After first testing DBC, I have generally only used it in bores where copper-fouling was more than average--or in rifles that are generally fired a LOT in a short period, primarily prairie dog rifles. If the specific barrel doesn't copper-foul a lot then I don't bother, which isn't uncommon among good custom barrels, such as Liljas.

To repeat what I reported after first testing it in 2007, the rifle was a semi-custom .338 Winchester Magnum with a Sako barrel purchased at a local gun show. The rifle shot great, but the barrel fouled considerably. This was obvious in my Hawkeye bore-scope, but it didn't start affecting grouping until around 20 rounds, where the bore looked copper-plated. I started scrubbing it out every 20 rounds with JB Compound, down to bare steel.

So I decided that would be the first test-barrel. After installing DBC the fouling was reduced so much that groups only started opening up after about 75-80 rounds, and even then it was far easier to clean with conventional copper-solvent products.

Also started installing it in varmint-rifle barrels, and it usually at least doubled the cleaning interval required before groups started opening up. In some rifles that was at least 500 rounds between cleanings--which may not have been necessary.

Know some people haven't prepped their bore correctly before installation, because they contacted me about it. After they tried again it worked. The results will vary depending on the bore, but so far have never encountered one where DBC didn't make a difference.

John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I’ve treated a lot of rifles and thought that all were improved, most to a great degree. Certainly none were worse. I’m happy to have saved a lot of time cleaning rifles.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,616 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.