Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Last weekend's Baltimore Antique Arms Show was a good one that yielded up a couple jewels for me.

First, a Ballard #3 Gallery rifle*, .22LR. Dates to very late 1880's shortly before Marlin quit the Ballard in favor of concentrating on lever guns. Case colors are there but patinized (but the case colors on the breech block/trigger group remain vivid inside the receiver). What's interesting is that it was lined by C.C.Johnson (laughingly speculated by the seller, Gary Quinlan, with what would appear to be a Johnson job number on the bottom flat under the fore arm. No way to know for sure). (Back in the 30's-40's there were no ready-made liners to be had. A lining job entailed making/rifling the liner before starting the project.) Bore is mint, action snaps shut as the breech block cams into position - it should shoot, and if initial backyard testing is an indicator it will. Weight 7 pounds 9 ounces, 8 pounds 4 ounces with scope. Trigger breaks at 2 3/4 lbs. I hung the 30's vintage Fecker 6x Small Game scope on it the minute I got it home.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Second jewel is a Stevens 44, .32 Long RF. Low serial number and 7 o'clock extractor indicates late 1890's manufacture. (Stevens factory records are long since lost and exact dating is impossible.) Vivid case colors, absolutely mint bore, pristine barrel bluing, and excellent wood indicate that it spent most of the last 125 years in closets. Lyman tang sight and Beech front sight live on it. I'm not put off by the fact it's a .32 rimfire - I have a proper centerfire breech block which will be swapped in (and the RF breech block kept with the gun for posterity), a stash of .32 Long Colt brass (same dimensions as the RF case), and a cherry Ideal mould to cast a proper heeled bullet for the cartridge. It'll soon bark (ok, maybe "yip") again - the consummate backyard beer can destroyer!

* Gallery rifle doesn't mean it was intended for carnival gallery shooting (although I would assume some were used for that purpose). In the time period before WWI Gallery shooting was the name given to recreational/competition shooting held indoors at 75 foot distance. Galleries were to be found in every major city and were hugely popular, especially for off-season "keeping tuned" shooting.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/20/24.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They sure are pretty. I bet the pennies paid were pretty too!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice my friend! Sounds like it was a Great show. This weekend probly the best show in northern Michigan, the Gaylord show. Going with a couple old buds!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Treasures!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
It took a while but they're in the right hands now!

I don't know anyone else who might have a spare breech block, appropriate cases and a bullet mold to get the Stevens out of the closet!

Congratulations!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Glad you can put that .32 back in service! And you are giving the 44 the respect it deserves and hasn't had for a long time. The Ballard can speak for itself. Good 'uns!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
… Stevens 44, .32 Long RF. … Vivid case colors, absolutely mint bore, pristine barrel bluing, … Lyman tang sight and Beech front sight … I have a proper centerfire breech block which will be swapped in …, a stash of .32 Long Colt brass (same dimensions as the RF case), and a cherry Ideal mould to cast a proper heeled bullet for the cartridge. It'll soon bark (ok, maybe "yip") again - the consummate backyard beer can destroyer!

This one, and your plans for it, certainly got my attention!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My salvaged Stevens Favorite 1915, its windage adjustable Marble Arms tang sight capable of elevation adjustment sufficient to achieve standard velocity .22LR hits on my 6” steel at 200 yards, is simply a Stevens 44 wannabe:

But some day, maybe, if the planets align just so …

Every day’s an adventure.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ok. First we are not supposed to temp our fellow man, and
I shouldn't be envious...

Lovely pair.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Beauties 👍 That 32 should be a blast.

I feed my Henry carbine a steady diet of roughly 32RF equivalent 32S&W Long cast loads, and it is an absolute hoot. It's like shooting 22 CBs, you don't even need ear plugs. 😄

It's also a dandy little small game round for short shooting in the brush or tall grass; body shots knock rabbits and squirrels flat without tearing them to shreds.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,752
Posts18,476,274
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.