Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by smarquez
The out swept rear fender was only offered in 1973. As was this paint scheme. If I was to consider buying one of these it would depend on that.
Just about any 70s’ enduros are staring to bring a premium price. I’m afraid to think what the msrp would be on this thing.
If this particular bike speaks to any particular market, it’s Me!! LOL
The swept out rear fender started in 71.

You had better check again.

http://suzukicycles.org/TS-TC-series/TS185.shtml#gsc.tab=0
I did. 72 TS400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3829450941...RH0HTa1-EqdSYYYAuQ_iWZXGmbRoCPMQQAvD_BwE
1971 TS125, my 72 is the same in orange.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...2A250EC7F6D279FFB0479E2F&FORM=IQFRBA
You could google some too.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice to see another scrambler bike for our market. But with that said, I'll stick with my DR650.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks top heavy.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelruger22
Nice to see another scrambler bike for our market. But with that said, I'll stick with my DR650.

Looking back on all of the bikes I have had, the DR650 was one of my favorites. Liked it quite a bit better than the XR650L.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The out swept rear fender was only offered in 1973. As was this paint scheme. If I was to consider buying one of these it would depend on that.
Just about any 70s’ enduros are staring to bring a premium price. I’m afraid to think what the msrp would be on this thing.

I had a 72 185 and it had a chrome downswept rear fender.
Removed all the lights, put on knobby tires, expansion chamber and adjusted the sprocket sizes and I had one heck of a trail/hill climbing bike.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Dual-Sports rock.

[Linked Image from s17.postimg.cc]

GR

Yes they do!

You’re looking good in those tights Paul.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No mention of engine configuration, is it a twin or a thumper?

I’m thinking it will replace the DR650 which I believe is about the only carbureted old-school original left on the market.

I’ve been considering finally fulfilling my religious obligation to own a Harley but damn all that extra weight and steel even on the Sportster to no particular purpose compared to my last bike - a KLR that I put 55,000 miles on.

Cross-country that KLR 650 could comfortably pull 80 on the interstate all day long, was too much fun chasing sport bikes on twisty backroads and blasting down forest roads. With that single 650cc cylinder talking to you the whole time a tach was superfluous.

The only thing I didn’t like were the tube-type wheels, I hope that new Suzuki had tubeless rims, I’d like to see the industry move in that direction.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jahrs

Removed all the lights, put on knobby tires, expansion chamber and adjusted the sprocket sizes and I had one heck of a trail/hill climbing bike.

The ts185 were said to have had the highest hp to weight ratios of most of the other offerings.
I put a 21" aluminum front rim on mine which help in the woods a lot and seemed to make the steering a lot more responsive in general.
Opening up the rear swing arm for a wider knobby and 13/54 sprockets it would out climb most any bike that I ever rode with.. It cut the top speed down to about 55, but it would pull a wheelie in 5th gear all day long!
The oil injection was a nice feature for its day.

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
No mention of engine configuration, is it a twin or a thumper?

I’m thinking it will replace the DR650 which I believe is about the only carbureted old-school original left on the market.

I’ve been considering finally fulfilling my religious obligation to own a Harley but damn all that extra weight and steel even on the Sportster to no particular purpose compared to my last bike - a KLR that I put 55,000 miles on.

Cross-country that KLR 650 could comfortably pull 80 on the interstate all day long, was too much fun chasing sport bikes on twisty backroads and blasting down forest roads. With that single 650cc cylinder talking to you the whole time a tach was superfluous.

The only thing I didn’t like were the tube-type wheels, I hope that new Suzuki had tubeless rims, I’d like to see the industry move in that direction.

My guess is it will be watered cooled, fuel injection four stroke. If it comes to production I’m thinking the looks will be the only thing retro’ about it. bummer.

Birdy You ought to break down and get you a Harley, everybody needs to date a whore once in their life! laugh laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The XT250 is really a great bike.

At ~ 290 lb. wet, with a low and rear CG, it will even handle an MX track.

Coupla bucks up-rating the springs, as OEM was a baby-buggy.

DOT rated dirt tires (+ riser plates for the front fender) and some handlebar risers finished it.

Also added a tooth to the countershaft sprocket, to stretch the gears a little. (better both in the dirt and on the road.)

GR

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bcolorado
It would be a nice update to my present putz around bike

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Nice putz and tent too!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I did the same to my 125. I sold that bike for $100. I later bought one to restore but it didn't have the tail or headlights. Naturally they were NLA and used parts were insanely priced. A year after that I found a complete TS125 for $500. I could now sell the head and tail lights for at least $1000. I use mine for a pit bike.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

The ts185 were said to have had the highest hp to weight ratios of most of the other offerings.
I put a 21" aluminum front rim on mine which help in the woods a lot and seemed to make the steering a lot more responsive in general.
Opening up the rear swing arm for a wider knobby and 13/54 sprockets it would out climb most any bike that I ever rode with.. It cut the top speed down to about 55, but it would pull a wheelie in 5th gear all day long!
The oil injection was a nice feature for its day.

I think without any modes a 4” back tire was max and yes a 21” front was much needed.

Yes sir mine was a heckuva wheelie bike too. I tried to learn how to wheelie on a Honda SL 100 but was pretty much unsuccessful until my mom bought me the TS185J Sierra, it was extremely easy you just had to get over the fear of falling backwards. I still have dreams of doing wheelies on that bike.

C.H. Spurgeon
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We had a Suzuki dealership in the 70s and sold it in the 90s. The TS185 was nearly indestructible.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Steelruger22

Looking back on all of the bikes I have had, the DR650 was one of my favorites. Liked it quite a bit better than the XR650L.

Gotta say, I had a 04 Gen 1 KLR650 before that I put 26k on then I moved to my '06 DR650, just rolled 23k on her and for my usage I 100% prefer the Zuk over the KLR. Does everything my ole KLR did but goes where it couldn't go offroad. I have had periods where I only had one bike in my stable. I have gone without my sportbike or a cruiser. Until I am old and can no longer ride I will never go without a dual sport.

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same... President Ronald Reagan
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (257 mag, 2500HD, 160user, 12344mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 257robertsimp, 28 invisible), 1,839 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,167
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.