Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, "German Precision Optics" probably will sell better than "Filipino Precision Optics".

However, these look pretty good to me.

https://cameralandny.com/shop/germa...6?variation=3650296&query=rangeguide

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Several years back I took in a pair of the 12x Passion and worked with them a bit. I was very impressed.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Getting hung up on names, location of manufacture, etc nowadays is an exercise in futility. There are only a handful of manufacturers worldwide, and most everyone uses them, at least when glass and components are considered. I admit the GPO name is a joke, but the Rangemaster bino/rf units are superb. Leupold's version is a rebadged Meopta like it has been for years, electronics are all made in China no matter the brand, and the list goes on, and on, and on.

The price point will be a dead giveaway as to where they're made.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I’d like a list of LOW Japanese manufacturing optics regardless of brand. Philippines with Jap or German Glass specific. You can’t keep up with all of it though because for instance the Vector Continental line is supposed to be German glass in a Chinese scope to further spin you out.

Raider is right about pricing though from my observations.
If it’s 1- 300 it’s likely Chinese Glass and manufacture.
2000 up and it’s likely American or Europe made with German Glass.
In between those and it becomes difficult.
Japanese LOW built stuff and sourced is where I’ve found myself drawn to if not spending Alpha Money.
LOW Glass in a PI made scope is where I’d say the best bang for the buck lies.

Originally Posted By: slumlord

people that text all day get on my nerves

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I admit the GPO name is a joke, but the Rangemaster bino/rf units are superb.

I got the GPO 8x40 Rangeguide not too long ago and it sure seems to track with this but have a couple of things to nitpick;

I have average interpupillary distance (66.5mm/men) and really need to squeeze the barrels together. In doing so, the range indicator sits at about a 15° angle. One would need some wide eyes for it to be level but I understand it'd be pretty hard to have an @ss for every seat in that regard. And the eye relief is just a wee lacking compared to the 8x32 version.

But it's built like a tank, pretty darned-good glass, very expedient readouts and the focus wheel is like buttah.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 007FJ
I’d like a list of LOW Japanese manufacturing optics regardless of brand. Philippines with Jap or German Glass specific. You can’t keep up with all of it though because for instance the Vector Continental line is supposed to be German glass in a Chinese scope to further spin you out.

Raider is right about pricing though from my observations.
If it’s 1- 300 it’s likely Chinese Glass and manufacture.
2000 up and it’s likely American or Europe made with German Glass.
In between those and it becomes difficult.
Japanese LOW built stuff and sourced is where I’ve found myself drawn to if not spending Alpha Money.
LOW Glass in a PI made scope is where I’d say the best bang for the buck lies.

I don’t know how accurate this list is…..

https://sageratsafaris.com/light-optical-works-japan/

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
i have been using the swarovski 3-10x42 scope on my rifles...i like they way they look and they are a step above the vx-3 line of scopes i use to use
my question is are these a few steps above the swarovski for about the same money?
I know I can get most of my money out of the swaro but not sure on these if i ever wanted to sell them
I feel the same way about my tract scope and if i owned a maven
thoughts

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I have The Spectra 6X 1.5-9x44 and I think it’s fantastic. Extremely bright optics. I would rate it above my Z3 3-10 BRH’s.
I also bought a Spectra 7.5x50i from Bobby Tomek, here on the Campfire. I haven’t mounted it yet but am of the opinion it will work very well for me, based on my impressions.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks Drano. I’ll scope it out!

I know but I couldn’t resist.

just knowing that people are out there with that ability,....just makes me wanna punch myself in the balls
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a pair of 8x32 ED and a pair of 10x42 HD binos and they're both great. I've compared the HD's against other brands at hunting camps and they are as good or better than other brands costing much more. I think they're a great value!

I can't speak to their rifle scopes or other products but I wouldn't hesitate to buy based on what I've experienced with the binos. I remember Doug posted a write up on them back when they first came out. I remember the CEO or president came from Zeiss. So he knows what level of quality Zeiss components are made to. If the components in the GPO products are made to the same level of quality, then it doesn't matter where they're made.

People on this forum always seem to be looking for some negative twist so I'm not surprised that some don't like the name.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Here is a review of the 1.5-9x44. The guy is a little wacky but he does some pretty extreme testing.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Cyclops does honest, quick and down and dirty reviews. That said....

If you want the gospel with details, you have to go to Koshkin (Dark Lord Optics). There are others that are good, however I've been reading Ila's reviews on optics for over 20 years (Optics Talk back then was really active). He has never led me astray.

Last edited by 007FJ; 03/26/24.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Agreed.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have The Spectra 6X 1.5-9x44 and I think it’s fantastic. Extremely bright optics. I would rate it above my Z3 3-10 BRH’s.
I also bought a Spectra 7.5x50i from Bobby Tomek, here on the Campfire. I haven’t mounted it yet but am of the opinion it will work very well for me, based on my impressions.

I've used the 7.5x50i spectra on 1 deer, but broad daylight @ 65 yards didn't provide the greatest test of lowlight capability. I didn't even turn on the red dot.

That 1.5-9x44 would check a lot of boxes for what I do. I recently bought a Meopta R2 1.7-10 to do basically the same function, & gave a fair bit more fund$ for it. While I'm very well pleased with the Meopta, 'twould be interesting to see how the GPO spectra stacked-up 'gainst it.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 163bc, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 70 invisible), 2,606 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,647
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.