Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
2021 Warthog

Borrowed .243 Mauser of some flavor that I would have loved to taken home with me. PH & I were in a makeshift blind a 1/4 or so mile away from a planted field. Busted out of cover an hour or two after we had sat down from being spooked by something. Running straight at us from about 200 yards to within 75 yards when I took the shot, just as he was quartering towards us and slipped one in and he dropped.

PH was more excited than I was over the size (10 1/2" exposed tusk).

My store is much the same - I had no intention of shooting a warthog. Of course, first morning out, we see a good one. PH and trackers were adamant I should attempt to shoot it. My first African animal was one I no no intention of taking.

Attached Images
hog3.JPG (13.27 KB, 136 downloads)
hog4.JPG (32.78 KB, 133 downloads)
Last edited by SakoAlberta; 04/02/24.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sable. But I believe my Africa days are over. It's gotten ridiculously expensive, to the point I simply can't justify nor stomach stroking a check.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Sable. But I believe my Africa days are over. It's gotten ridiculously expensive, to the point I simply can't justify nor stomach stroking a check.

I feel much the same Fost. I'd love to hunt sable and roan, but not enough to justify the cost, shipping trophies home, taxidermy, etc.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
Originally Posted by 69sportfury
2021 Warthog

Borrowed .243 Mauser of some flavor that I would have loved to taken home with me. PH & I were in a makeshift blind a 1/4 or so mile away from a planted field. Busted out of cover an hour or two after we had sat down from being spooked by something. Running straight at us from about 200 yards to within 75 yards when I took the shot, just as he was quartering towards us and slipped one in and he dropped.

PH was more excited than I was over the size (10 1/2" exposed tusk).

My store is much the same - I had no inention of shooting a warthog. Of course, first morning out, we see a good one. PH and trackers were adamant I should attemt to shoot it. My first African animal was one I no no intention of taking.

Yep, on my first African hunt I had made it plain I wasn’t interested in a warthog in spite of a lot of encouragement, including my taxidermist. So we were out looking for a kudu when we encountered some warthogs. The PH said, “Al, I know you don’t particularly want to shoot a warthog, but that’s a very nice warthog.” Bang! 😂

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I feel much the same Fost. I'd love to hunt sable and roan, but not enough to justify the cost, shipping trophies home, taxidermy, etc.

I can relate to what you guys are saying (and my wife could not agree more), but I simply refuse to put pay to at least always hope I have one more trip to the Long Grass...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WoodsyAl
Yep, on my first African hunt I had made it plain I wasn’t interested in a warthog in spite of a lot of encouragement, including my taxidermist. So we were out looking for a kudu when we encountered some warthogs. The PH said, “Al, I know you don’t particularly want to shoot a warthog, but that’s a very nice warthog.” Bang! 😂

LOL- pretty much a carbon copy of mine.... wink

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Roan. Shot multiples of most of the rest of the southern African plains game.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Time for you to collect another booster or two isn't it Dr?

Originally Posted by jdollar
Roan. Shot multiples of most of the rest of the southern African plains game.

I and my wife( who has a PhD in nursing education) are vaccinated. As a retired physician, I consider anyone that is refusing the vaccine as stupid. It’s free insurance against a potentially fatal disease. Granted, the mortality rate is low, but the hospitalization rate isn’t for unvaccinated people. 85-90 % of people in hospitals due to COVID are unvaccinated. Enough said.

Check the graphs in the link, especially the US graph. The evidence speaks for itself.

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-deaths-by-vaccination

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I wondered how long it would take you to make an irrelevant personal attack. Obviously not long. Do you have an alarm set?? Get a life- obviously you don’t have one now. I’m betting less than 6 hours to respond with another personal attack. Pathetic….

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I can relate to what you guys are saying (and my wife could not agree more), but I simply refuse to put pay to at least always hope I have one more trip to the Long Grass...

Not to be Captain Obvious, but I must ask: Is not having the mounts a deal breaker for you all?
If you don't have things mounted, you also pay no shipping/CITES/whatever other charges they nickel and dime ya with....and a safari can easily be 1/2 the price if you take that into account.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I want to get a barbary sheep and maybe a roan. A steenbok would be nice. For some reason I want a puku, but I doubt I will ever hunt where they live. Always an impala. Another red lechwe would be awesome. Other than that, a lot of culling.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Not to be Captain Obvious, but I must ask: Is not having the mounts a deal breaker for you all?
If you don't have things mounted, you also pay no shipping/CITES/whatever other charges they nickel and dime ya with....and a safari can easily be 1/2 the price if you take that into account.[/quote]

If this is in South Africa, you can easily just give the capes/horns to a Taxidermist. They fix them up, sell to tourists/decorator's, etc, all the time! If you know someone, on the three trips (four hunts) my Outfitter had arranged for the local butcher to purchase all the meat which reduced our costs tremendously. We didn't have a fancy Safari camp, we hunted just like we do here. Stayed at a Farm House ( we would call it a Ranch) and drive out on the property. hunt in anyway you want. I suggest a good, slow walk through the area, take it all in! Hired local trackers/skinners for a song. Cooked ourselves. There is always a way! smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 04/03/24.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I wondered how long it would take you to make an irrelevant personal attack. Obviously not long. Do you have an alarm set?? Get a life- obviously you don’t have one now. I’m betting less than 6 hours to respond with another personal attack. Pathetic….

We should never forget who the enemy is......that is you and every other covtard/libtard out there.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
You’re slipping. Took you 3-4 hours longer than usual to make another irrelevant comment. Come on troll, get on the stick!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You’re slipping. Took you 3-4 hours longer than usual to make another irrelevant comment. Come on troll, get on the stick!

You're pathetic self is like putty in my hands........I pull your string....you start to dance. Good thing you had no kids to grow up a coward like you.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Can do you one better:

Gemsbuk Bull and cow/Aroab,Namibia., Same trip Blesbuk Ram, Impala, Zebra skin 1998 Bought and paid for Taxidermist
Black Wildebeast Bull, Red Hartebeast Bull, Blesbuk skin South Africa 2002, Bought and paid for.

They were "supposed" to be part of the group shipping (to save costs) however. The two trips were a combined effort, with trophies sent right after the 2002 trip. However, my Afrikaner Outfitter friend got twisted off with me when I would not support his financial agenda. The rest of the group received theirs in one shipment; mine were not. My "paperwork" was not "done", etc. Went back and forth, hard words via Fax/phone calls, etc. I resolved to just "give them" to the Taxidermist (very good man) to sell and invest back into "his" business. I took the Taxi/costs on the chin. Friendship ruined of course. In 2004, out of the blue, he called me and "again" wanted to me support him financially. I politely refused and said, " Don't contact me again". What I learned..."some Afrikaners" love you just fine, "until" it looks like the "American" won't Pay for their Lifestyle choices. No...I never went back and I am "never" going back to Africa. I have my memories and my photos. "Beware of Afrikaners Bearing Gifts" they say?

I much prefer the "English" South Africans over the "Afrikaner" South Africans. Not so bossy and pushy and much more trustworthy IME. This is from observing them (Afrikaners) in hotels, at hunting shows where some are very pushy (and lost my business), and I find some of the offers from Afrikaners to be suspect. Then there is my work with my local SCI Chapter. We have one Afrikaner donor who gives a 70% donation. He wants his 30% immediately. We're volunteers, he will get 30% ASAP, but it might be a few days or a couple of weeks. The number of Emails he sends asking about his 30% is unreal. We're left wondering if his donation is worth the hassle. So that is my experience. It would seem that some Afrikaners think the world revolves around him/her. They are the cock of the block. The world doesn't work that way anymore. They don't understand that.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,646
Posts18,474,534
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.