Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I haven't made a quantity purchase of 45 ACP 230 gr. Ball in a very long time and like to know which brands these days are a value as far as quality and price?

I am finishing up the last of 4000 rounds of PMC Ball and would like to lay in another couple of thousand just to be safe.

Just curious to the best available currently.

Appreciate the suggestions.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
https://www.sgammo.com/

I haven't checked other website's prices lately, but these guys are usually competitive, and their service is above reproach. Shipping is fast, and they package stuff well. I've been buying S&B .45 from them, it's good stuff. It outshoots PMC .45 in my pistols, too.
They carry all kinds of ammo, all the major brands, and have good prices and service. Just shop around.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought 45 acp from target sports, mainly because case prices include shipping, which can be rather expensive by itself due to where I live.

Can't help with brand, I've bought only Rem. in the past, and I only bought loaded ammo as I was getting low on brass.

Jerry

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/45-acp-auto-ammo-c-70.aspx

Si vis pacem, para bellum
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Check PSA, they are running their own line of ammo now and it’s pretty reasonable.

There is an ammo maker here that usually has good prices and also usually has remanufactered available as well. I’ve shot a lot of their stuff, quite happy with it. They were keeping the local IDPA and USPSA shooters going during the scamdemic. Google Precision One Ammunition

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S&B is usually among the cheapest wherever it’s available. I’ve never had a problem with it. 9mm or 45. I’ve rarely had a problem with any of the lower priced ammo. I do stay away from the steel and aluminum cases.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
I haven't made a quantity purchase of 45 ACP 230 gr. Ball in a very long time and like to know which brands these days are a value as far as quality and price?

I am finishing up the last of 4000 rounds of PMC Ball and would like to lay in another couple of thousand just to be safe.

Just curious to the best available currently.

Appreciate the suggestions.

StarchedCover

With controvertial election coming up in United States I would stock up on necessities first.
Answering question it would be $19.99 per box of Speer Lawman, Blazer Brass, American Eagle at Bucking Horse Outpost. Check tax and shipping costs before ordering. Of the 3 choices given American Eagle is the best.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the replies.

I have been buying ammunition from Sam @ SGAmmo for a very long time; first rate sales and service.

I've used a fair amount of S&B 9mm 124 grain Ball over the years, and it works very well for practice and training classes. That being said I haven't tried their 45 ACP stuff.

After doing some reading, I will have to pick up a few boxes of the PSA stuff the next time we go down to SC to see family as there is a PSA store along the way.

Regarding the geopolitical commentary and "necessities", you never know when a couple of thousand rounds of 45 ACP might become a necessity.

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StarchedCover
Thanks for the replies.

I have been buying ammunition from Sam @ SGAmmo for a very long time; first rate sales and service.

I've used a fair amount of S&B 9mm 124 grain Ball over the years, and it works very well for practice and training classes. That being said I haven't tried their 45 ACP stuff.

After doing some reading, I will have to pick up a few boxes of the PSA stuff the next time we go down to SC to see family as there is a PSA store along the way.

Regarding the geopolitical commentary and "necessities", you never know when a couple of thousand rounds of 45 ACP might become a necessity.

StarchedCover

Free shipping on orders over $175, time to say adios to SGAmmo and use Bucking Horse Outpost.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ammoman dot com has several different brands at around .45 to .47 each. 1000 round boxes. Free shipping and they ship quickly.

Sam......

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I read posts like this and I get down on my knees and thank God that I have a bunch of .45 ACP bullet moulds (including a 230 grain RN), kegs of Unique, bushels of LP primers, stupid amounts of brass, and a good set of dies. I'm admittedly ignorant of the cost of factory handgun ammo, not having bought any since George Bush the First was in office.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AZtwins
S&B is usually among the cheapest wherever it’s available. I’ve never had a problem with it. 9mm or 45. I’ve rarely had a problem with any of the lower priced ammo. I do stay away from the steel and aluminum cases.
ABSOLUTELY!!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
https://www.sgammo.com/

I haven't checked other website's prices lately, but these guys are usually competitive, and their service is above reproach. Shipping is fast, and they package stuff well. I've been buying S&B .45 from them, it's good stuff. It outshoots PMC .45 in my pistols, too.
They carry all kinds of ammo, all the major brands, and have good prices and service. Just shop around.

I second this. S&B 230 gr FMJ is pretty powerful and accurate on the guns I’ve shot it in. It is also clean shooting and affordable. SGAmmo is a good source with reasonable shipping.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 03/27/24.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The AAC stuff at Palmetto is good and usually priced very well. I really like their subsonic 9mm loads, but they are often difficult to find in stock.

Who is John Galt?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I’ve been shooting a fair amount of “freedom munition” .45acp. They are new with plated bullets. At the 830-850 fps work good in the acp. Just ordered some at $350is per 1k and free shipping. For plinking and practice loads im yet to find cheaper.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I read posts like this and I get down on my knees and thank God that I have a bunch of .45 ACP bullet moulds (including a 230 grain RN), kegs of Unique, bushels of LP primers, stupid amounts of brass, and a good set of dies. I'm admittedly ignorant of the cost of factory handgun ammo, not having bought any since George Bush the First was in office.

Do you have a wife, kids and a full time job too?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I went to the range this morning, took my .45s. I had some PMC and S&B ball ammo, and wanted to see how the various pistols handled them. S&B, which is usually cheaper on most websites, outshot PMC to a fare-thee-well. I use a lot of PMC, I like the brass for reloading purposes, and it outshoots everything except Federal ball.
S&B kicked it's collective butt. It's just good stuff, regardless of the inexpensive price, and it still uses Large Pistol primers, most of the CCI and Federal are now using SP primers, which cause headaches sorting the stuff. All four pistols I shot this morning favored the S&B heavily, and the two pistols I left at home have shown the same tendencies, they like it, too.
If you haven't tried it, it's worth the cost of a box or two, to see how it shoots in your pistols.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Almost always find the cheapest price on ammoseek.com. For example, S&B 230 gr ball for $.40/rd with free shipping on $175 order. Darn near every time.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 58 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,516
Posts18,472,431
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.