Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I took a venture into this cartridge with the PSA Rock. I had good initial enthusiasm due to its lack of recoil, then sold it after a few months due to my perception of a heavy trigger pull and less than expected precision. Real examples of performance are sparse, and loaded ammo velocities seems to be politically controlled. Other than the 20 round magazine capacity, lack of recoil (for my age arthritic boomer crowd), and ammo being half the weight of the 9mm, why bother?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah, I haven’t got into it yet.

Defeating soft body armor might be a reason.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I did was worned on here but did it anyway. I went the ruger route.I just sucked at shooting it. Shells looked cool! I tend to like different stuff tho!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I find it kind of fascinating, but not to the point that I'm going to spend money on it. I just have no idea what use I would have for such a round in a pistol and, these days, that constrains a lot of my gun buying.

A friend has one of the FN PS90 "things". I've never fired it. I think it's kind of neat, but not sure what for other than a truck weapon helping one get through a mob. I try to avoid those circumstances, however, and if I want a weapon for that specific purpose, there are a lot available for a lot less than 2 grand msrp and they fire cheap and readily available 5.56 ammo. There's one on consignment at the lgs, looks pretty new. Asking price is almost msrp. Guessing someone who hasn't been around the block so many times got it and quickly realized he didn't have any use for it. I'm tempted to make a real low ball offer on it, like about half what he's asking.

Mathew 22: 37-39

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the ruger is said to be the most accurate of the lot.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without SS90/SS190 ammo it makes no sense to own one.
I will get one right after buying .41 Magnum revolver.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
With pistols it is caliber, then bullet weight, then velocity.
Reversal of this equation is futile.

Simply put, why throw a ping pong ball when you can throw a golf ball.

Why throw a golf ball when you can toss a half brick.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without proper ammo this caliber is next to useless, worth half of very loud fart..

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
you have to wonder some times about things, the ss190 and even the ss198 are restricted. SS198 is LE only, which is total BS, although you might be able to buy that one. I believe the ss198 was used in the muslim terror attack at ft. hood that killed 13 people. That is a 27 grain bullet of all things! The pistols need to have a 5 inch barrel to get the velocity so there is no pocket carry, they do hold right many rounds however.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
With pistols it is caliber, then bullet weight, then velocity.
Reversal of this equation is futile.

Simply put, why throw a ping pong ball when you can throw a golf ball.

Why throw a golf ball when you can toss a half brick.

There may be a journal article in there somewhere just to document sound logic.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a PSA 5.7 just because. There are some interesting tests out there on the www. Penetration and expansion tests often show early upset and significant wound channels with shallow penetration. Many of the tests also show some inconsistency. Seems controllablity, capacity and soft armor capability are the chief selling points. I'll add another. 150 rounds of 5.7 weighs about the same and takes up about the same space as 50 rounds of 9mm. I really wouldn't want to take a hit from a 5.7. I'd imagine a center mass hit with it will suck the will to fight out of most people.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
That was too funny! I think they are right, G9 80 grain.

Last edited by jimmyp; 03/24/24.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really have no desire for one. Pistol is too big for me to carry concealed. I’m not sold on the power of this round. JMHO

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I took a venture into this cartridge with the PSA Rock. I had good initial enthusiasm due to its lack of recoil, then sold it after a few months due to my perception of a heavy trigger pull and less than expected precision. Real examples of performance are sparse, and loaded ammo velocities seems to be politically controlled. Other than the 20 round magazine capacity, lack of recoil (for my age arthritic boomer crowd), and ammo being half the weight of the 9mm, why bother?

People do not need approval of strangers to waste their own money.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
A friend of mine has been a big 5.7 fan since they pretty much came out. I've seen him nake some nice longer range shots on rabbits etc with his pistol.

I haven't gone that route because I've heard it's difficult to load for. Something about a proprietary coating on the cases that wears off and then they don't function well. Plus they are very sensitive to charge weights. I wish there was a similar round that was more reloader friendly. I can get the charge weights right I just don't want to deal with the coating issue. I've also looked at rock islands little 22 round with interest but I don't like the bullet limitations. I'd like to be able to load 40g vmaxes. I've wondered about necking down a 30 supper carry case to .224 but I'm sure it's a project not worth my efforts. Although I've often thought a revolver in 22 k hornet would be fun. Like a 22 mag without the heavy rimfire hammer and trigger.

Bb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had 3 FN's at different times. Now I own a S&W. The best 5.7 IMO due to the gas system.

BTW you do NOT need SS190 to defeat armor. YouTube is your friend.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
Now I own a S&W. The best 5.7 IMO due to the gas system.

How do you like it? How does it perform? Does it prefer any particular ammo?

I'm mostly interested in it for my lady.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It shoots great and handles all my handloads very well. Never found a separated neck in the chamber when I pushed things a bit like I did with my FN.

FN's (and the others) open up the action while the powder is still being burnt so they stretch the brass especially in the neck area. See below

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,822 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,610
Posts18,473,854
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.