Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Also, do not be under-Insured.

A half burned house can often times cost way more than the cost of a similar home new.

You will have smoke damage, water damage, fire damage, all will have to be removed before the new construction can even begin. Very costly.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
And do t forget about code violations and upgrades.

Tearing apart a fire or water damaged house will often times find wiring and plumbing that no longer meets code. If these have to be dealt with due to the damage, the electrician and the plumber must put this back to code, make sure the policy pays for this and whatever the general contractor has to do to accommodate the change. It can cost a bunch.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dad always used MFA/Shelter insurance, as long as I knew him. Dad was notoriously cheap, too. Lots of Missouri farmers have no choice but to be cheapskates, and MFA had the best rates. Dad used them until he gave up his driver's license at 85 years old.

I can only think of one time he had a claim, maybe two. The old barn got hit by lightning one stormy night and burned to the ground, and another time when soybeans caught fire in the old combine and burned it up. No problems with MFA. Dad knew the agent real well, though, it's a small town.
Having a personal relationship with the agent is never a bad idea, they can help grease the way when/if necessary.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True, it’s much easier to have a local agent, a real face, then an internet company like GEICO, or Progressive.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
We installed high impact shingles the last time we had roof damage from hail. State Farm covered the repairs including the depreciated cost minus my deductible. We had to pay for the upgrade on the shingles, but it paid for itself in less than 2 years. It is a flat 25% discount on top of all the other discounts we get.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Shop around all you want.

I am with Farm Bureau. Simply adjusting your deductible can help a lot.

I would do my own repairs anyway, me and the wife built this place from the footings up.

Difference between a $200 deductible and having a $5000 deductible was $640 on the annual.

Insurance is for catastrophic loss anyway, it’s not for you to file little dickie $400 claims for the gas grill melting a 2ft square of your trailer house vinyl siding.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would tell you to get yourself the the public library and check out the March ‘23, September’23 and November ‘23 issues of Consumer Reports for homeowners and automotive insurance. They rate them all in a side by side comparison. As a group, I do see that USAA is rated #1 overall in the back issues that I have. Dad was in the state guard and I’m not sure that qualifies, but the wife’s dad was with Patton’s tank destroyers so that should get us in for a look. Guess my own going commando once in a while won’t qualify.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Windfall
I would tell you to get yourself the the public library and check out the March ‘23, September’23 and November ‘23 issues of Consumer Reports for homeowners and automotive insurance. They rate them all in a side by side comparison. As a group, I do see that USAA is rated #1 overall in the back issues that I have. Dad was in the state guard and I’m not sure that qualifies, but the wife’s dad was with Patton tank destroyers so that should get us in for a look. Guess my own going commando once in a while won’t qualify.
If using a family member to quality that family member must had had USAA as well.

My father-in -law was in WWII, he had State Farm his whole life, because he did not have USAA, my wife could not qualify for USAA.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bummer, they sure don’t tell you that in the advertising. Lots of other choices out there though.

American Family seems to be fine for us on the cars and house, but they don’t give a bundle discount for a vehicle and rental property. Allstate does, so I have the truck and rentals with them. Florida was a whole nuther thing as there were only two insurance companies that would cover places down there due to the hurricane potential. Even then the premiums were horrendous.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use Cornerstone Ins, they are in Columbia. I pay ridiculously low auto rates and claims have been painless.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by sawbuck
I use Cornerstone Ins, they are in Columbia. I pay ridiculously low auto rates and claims have been painless.
I didn’t know the Columbian Cartel sold insurance.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I went through this a few years ago, I found Alfa to have the best rates/coverage

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 50 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,506
Posts18,472,309
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.