Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BangPop
There are two ways you can do the job that work well. One requires more tooling than the other. If you want two piece bases, you will need a straight rod (think ring lap) that can be used to establish the rear base height when all parts are assembled. You can then bed the rear base to correct the height difference. The better/easier alternative is to use a one piece base and bed the rear of it to the receiver when the front of the base is tight to the front ring of the receiver. Do not bed the front of either base to the front ring of the receiver to correct any angular issues. The front ring determines where the barrel is pointed, so if you bed to correct the angle at the front ring that you illustrated in your photos your rifle will shoot low to the point that it may be outside the adjustment range of the scope. Whether you choose a one piece base or two piece, the rear needs to be bedded or the height difference will put the scope tube under a huge stress if not bedded to be straight and stress free.

This would be what I would do if it was mine.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You cannot lap that problem out. You may get the rings circular by lapping the hell out of them, but it will be nowhere near parallel to the rifle bore. And there will not be enough adjustment in a scope to fix that. A taller rear base is in order. Being a r700 this is a no brainer…

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cotis
You cannot lap that problem out. You may get the rings circular by lapping the hell out of them, but it will be nowhere near parallel to the rifle bore. And there will not be enough adjustment in a scope to fix that. A taller rear base is in order. Being a r700 this is a no brainer…

Exactly. Do like I said and problem solved. There are not a lot of "gunsmiths" here obviously.. This chiidt isn't that hard to understand. Guys want to make it harder than it is.

BTDT a couple times, and no, I don't use soda pop cans..

Before:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After: Fine tuning the bases:
When you get the base fairly close:
Those were pretty close, but fit by hand. The next step is to epoxy bed the bases...
If you use an alignment bar, you won't even need to lap the rings.

Some of you guys are way overthinking this. Of course, I'm not a "gunsmith"... YMMV..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After starting with the correct bases/ring mounts for the action, they need to be made level with each other. Bedding the bases can accomplish this (if done correctly). It also mates the bases perfectly to that particular action...just like bedding and action into a stock. At that point, the bases and action should be considered 'as one'. Once that's done, the final part is lapping the rings and/or bedding the rings for maximum contact. If using the Burris Signature rings with the inserts, the inserts will conform to the scope tube the same as bedding does.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (badwolf, BDR1, beefan, batch, 10 invisible), 1,430 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.