-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19328878/99h-markings

Saw these markings and strange serial number on a 99H today. Anyone have any input? Thanks.

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
British Proofs Joe

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are an awful lot of crowns and symbols stamped on that rifle.
Probably legit but looks overly done.
The "-2" serial number probably doesn't pass the BATF smell test.
What's the point of obscuring the serial number??

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
can't help with the markings. produced in 1924, variation V1, last year for the rifle weight barrel in the 99H. The 1925 H, variation V2 was the first use of the medium weight barrel on a 99. I have a 1925 99G with the lightweight barrel and had a 1926 99G with the medium weight barrel. 1926 seems to be when the other models went to the medium weight barre.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ted's correct, British proofs. In order for a gun to be sold in England by law it had to pass rigorous proof testing, and was so stamped at every step in the process. "What's the caliber measure out to, Alf?" ".30 caliber, Reggie." "Ok, give it the .30 stamp." It was a kind of daunting process to submit a gun for proving back then and can only imagine how bad it is today - probably why the British home market wasn't more actively pursued by U.S. gun makers.

As for the "-2" on the serial number, I'll bet it was the second gun of a two gun cased set. Numbering like that was common in the English gun trade, both when two (or more) guns were in the same set and on extra barrels for a cased double gun. I'll guess some well heeled bloke ordered a pair of identical (or nearly identical) Savages from America and specified they be numbered "xxxxxx-1" and "xxxxxx-2" as proof that they belonged together in the set, and Savage complied. Then it went through proof purgatory at the Birmingham Proof House before being released for him to take possession.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The added "2" is obviously a different font. Added after it left the factory for whatever unknown and long forgotten reason.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Definitely a different font, my thoughts were that it may have been added at the factory after the initial S/N application.
Unknowable.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sticking with my original hypothesis, of course it would be a different font. It would've had to have been added by hand as (to the best of my knowledge) the serial number clicker wouldn't have been set up for hyphenated add-ons, held in abeyance for those rare times it would be needed. Probably at the factory before finishing in the course of fulfilling a unique order from "across the pond" - to have done it at a later date through the new bluing would've made it look dumb.

It always saddened me a bit when viewing neat exotic arms at large antique gun shows with those number add-ons, -1, -2, -A, -B, etc., knowing that they've been separated from their twins for whatever reasons. Squabbling between two brothers over who got Dad's cased set so they resolved it by each taking one of the guns was a pretty common scenario methinks. Then one of the brothers sells his at some point for beer money and any hope of reuniting the set is lost forever.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A factory letter would be the place to start an investigation.
That may shed light on the serial number.

It seems the serialization process at Savage or any U.S. manufacturer would be fairly defined, rigid and followed as a matter of quality.

It also seems the British would have a defined and rigid import process as well. Alf and Reggie must follow the process. smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Indeed!

IC B3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (10gaugeman, 153, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,708
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.