Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by RHOD
Mountain Lion attacks are extremely rare. Of all the possible dangers in the woods, it is way down there. I've never thought, "I better be prepared for a mountain lion attack." And yes, I do live in an area with a healthy mountain lion population and I have personally been within 15 feet of one in the woods (unarmed).
We should give you a trophy or a cookie for your bravery

I'm not particularly brave. Just not some dumbfuk cracker from Arkansas that's scared of his own shadow.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What round for lion 357, 41 or 45LC?

Frank Glaser,Alaska Wolfman:"with a lung shot on hoofed game the .220 Swift killed quicker than any other gun I ever owned."That included caribou,moose,wolf,and sheep.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by keekeerun

Carbine ?

Handy to carry ?

16" 45 Colt

Drop any cat on the planet

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Western shed hunters most likely hike all day.....

Handgun would be my choice

What ever you can shoot best

9 em em & up

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mountain Lion attacks are extremely rare. Of all the possible dangers in the woods, it is way down there. I've never thought, "I better be prepared for a mountain lion attack." And yes, I do live in an area with a healthy mountain lion population and I have personally been within 15 feet of one in the woods (unarmed).

Yep, of all the things that can go wrong out and about, fretting about a mtn lion attack is way down on the list of things I worry about around here. But our lions are hunted and that to me makes a difference.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
unfuckingbelievable comments, grown men scart of the outdoors,
Ya'll better watchout them yotes and lions gonna get ya
Originally Posted by ol_mike
We should give you a trophy or a cookie for your bravery

I'm not particularly brave. Just not some dumbfuk cracker from Arkansas that's scared of his own shadow.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken, Thanks for the update.

I sure hope the young man can heal up completely.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Lonny

Yep, of all the things that can go wrong out and about, fretting about a mtn lion attack is way down on the list of things I worry about around here. But our lions are hunted and that to me makes a difference.
I used to hike unarmed in areas that lions roam. But that was in the days when they could be hunted with hounds.
Now there are more cats and more bears and I tend to pack heat when I'm in their neighborhood.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I do believe that to be true Lonny. Especially for a lion that's had the experience of being chased or shot at.

It certainly does for the coyotes around these parts. See one in a field 50 or so yards away, stop the vehicle, and usually before the door is open the 'yote is off and running.

Down in SoCal the suburban ones probably come up to the car to see if you have anything to eat.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Direct_Drive

I used to hike in areas that lions roam. But that was in the days when they could be hunted with hounds.
Now there are more cats and more bears and I tend to pack heat when I'm in their neighborhood.

Only takes one hungry stray cat

Local game trail with cat tracks near by

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Or take a dog along. The right dog can be helpful at times. My GSD ran a lion off at six months old. Wife was brushing him out in the yard, he noticed the cat first and went after it. It was approaching her from behind, in daylight, with music on her phone and the dog right there. Dog chased it until it went under the electric fence into the pasture, and it stopped to look back before it went into the woods. Dog hates that electric fence, wont go near it. But he was running back and forth at the gate, wanting in there. No dice. I’d be short a dog if he caught that cat. But tha cat wasn’t risking it, and if the dog dies buying my wife time to react, so be it. That’s what he is here for. And a 120 lb. all black GSD with a strong protection background and drive makes a lot of things think twice. Maybe buy me or the wife time to deal with whatever it is.

Funny thing, that dog will follow my lead if I am present. He waits to see how I am going to act and then follows my lead. But if its just he and the wife, he will listen to her, but he is vastly more protective than when I am there. Probably fight to the death between her and whatever, but hide behind me if godzilla comes at us.🤣 That’s ok, got him for her anyway. He has a job here, and he likes it that way.

Conservation only recently admitted there were lions here. Took one getting hit on the interstate for them to fess up. Cats were here well before that.

Last edited by APredator; 03/27/24.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Several years ago there was a woman in BC horseback riding with her kids—12 and 8 years old—boy and a girl. Mountain lion attacked the boy—woman fought cat with her bare hands while the kids ran for help. She fought that cat for over an hour till help arrived—after findin out her kids were okay she died.
Cat was killed—it weighed 63lbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I posted before that I became friends with a professional bear and lion guide in Cal., years ago. He lived in Glennville, a tiny town in northern Kern County just a mile or two from the Sequoia Nat'l Forest. He carried a Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum. He told me that .22 Magnum worked very effectively on Mountain Lions. He carried an old Win. 94 Trapper .30-30 when out running bears.

My wife and I owned a vacation cabin up on the western slope of the Sierra in Tulare County, for 35 years. It was surrounded by the Sequoia Nat.l Forest. There were plenty of Black bears and Mountain lions in that forest. I saw three lions over the years we owned that cabin and property. When my wife and I took walks in the forest, she carried her Ruger Security Six .357 Mag., and I carried my Colt's L.W. Commander .45 ACP. I'd also either take my Ruger 10/22, or my Marlin 336 .30-30.

We used the .22 for some plinking in the forest, but never needed the guns for protection from animals. I knew the Game Warden for that district and we got along fine, plus I knew the Tulare Deputy Sheriff who sometimes came up there ... but that was seldom on his patrol. We both carried Cal. Hunting licenses, although my wife did not hunt. We were never without those firearms. It was legal to carry firearms if you were hunting, no matter what game you were hunting. I do not know the law now.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No big cats around here but if there were it would be a 357 with 180 gr. hard cast fodder. I've come across black bears before but they just seem to want to avoid me. I now carry the 357 in an area with occasional bears but so far have never seen one while armed. Bet I could ruin a mountain lions day even with the Glock 19 in 9mm if need be.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (2500HD, 2UP, 405winash, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 13 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,495
Posts18,472,123
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.