Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Nathan30
That’s awesome do you find the bipods better than a bag?
And .22lr really isn’t the idea flat shooting lol. Pete53 I still don’t own any .17cal for some reason not sure why.

bi-pod works well for me and a longer tri-angle piece of wood with some type of rubber matting glued on the wood to hold the bottom of the pistol grip.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Not a short barrel but I was fortunate enough, At least I think, to buy an unfired 23" heavy carbine barrel chambered in 204 Ruger. It will be a while before I have opportunity to try it out but I'm hoping it is accurate, and I think I can call it flat shooting. I bought it on March 1. The seller shipped it to me on March 26th and It was delivered on April 20th. I'm not sure what the postal service did with it for over three weeks.
Take care,
Rick

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
I have a 20 Vartarg 20” MGM barrel that will shoot 3 shot groups almost as good as Tred’s . I like the Vartarg better than the larger .20s like the Ruger as the muzzle blast, while still significant, is less and it allows you to mark your own shots. Pretty handy in a prairie dog town. A

i have a TC Encore with a 23" MGM factory heavy barrel in 20 Vartarg. i was in my "1 hole" phase when i did .173" at 100 yards with 5 shots/bench. i did 10 shots at 100 yards that was .213". it was a 32gr Hornady V Max with Reloder 7 and a CCI Benchrest SRP with reformed 221 Rem Fireball brass.

nowadays, the 20 VT is around 1/2 - 3/4" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench) with 34gr Midway/Midsouth HP with Reloder 7 and any SRP. it is great for taking out groundhogs, foxes and 'yotes.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by tdoyka
I have a 20 Vartarg 20” MGM barrel that will shoot 3 shot groups almost as good as Tred’s . I like the Vartarg better than the larger .20s like the Ruger as the muzzle blast, while still significant, is less and it allows you to mark your own shots. Pretty handy in a prairie dog town. A

i have a TC Encore with a 23" MGM factory heavy barrel in 20 Vartarg. i was in my "1 hole" phase when i did .173" at 100 yards with 5 shots/bench. i did 10 shots at 100 yards that was .213". it was a 32gr Hornady V Max with Reloder 7 and a CCI Benchrest SRP with reformed 221 Rem Fireball brass.

nowadays, the 20 VT is around 1/2 - 3/4" group at 100 yards (5 shots/bench) with 34gr Midway/Midsouth HP with Reloder 7 and any SRP. it is great for taking out groundhogs, foxes and 'yotes.

WOW!….um…WOW!…. That is phenomenal shooting for “off the shelf” bullets and brass.

I love my Contender but really wish it had the no-turn chamber. As you get older you are less willing to give up time doing things you don’t want to do. Turning necks is not a great way to spend time.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tdoyka

WOW!….um…WOW!…. That is phenomenal shooting for “off the shelf” bullets and brass.

I love my Contender but really wish it had the no-turn chamber. As you get older you are less willing to give up time doing things you don’t want to do. Turning necks is not a great way to spend time.

weighing brass, turning necks, trimming brass to the exact same measurement, weighing bullets........it got tiring. after a while, the "1 hole" wasn't for me. i did Remington 221 rem fireball brass because it was the only one at the time. Lapua, Norma and Nosler wasn't even a scratch in their pants. i spent a lot of time at my bench rather than the shooting table. i shot Hornady, Nosler and another brand i just don't remember about 3500 - 4000 rounds out of the 20VT. it still shoots tight and groups great. i have a TC Contender in a 10" barrel with the 22 Hornet. i still have to shoot yet, but if i go 1 1/2 - 2" at 100 yards (5 shots/bench), i am satisfied.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Get you a 6-.223 from Bullberry or MGM. I've got one I got from JD Jones in 1983 and it is my favorite after all these years.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Nathan30
What is your go to varmint caliber for your contender? I recently had ordered a custom barrel in 20 tactical and the maker couldn’t get it done so now I’m rethinking the decision want recommendations please

In the Contender, I have a couple of varmint barrels. The 17 Hornet and a 223 Wylde chamber for the 223. If I was going to get another barrel, I would probably go with a 20 Practical. Great BC, plentiful brass and no kick.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/20caliber/

[Linked Image from accurateshooter.net]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (boatboy, Bluethunder8, BALLISTIK, Akhutr, 14 invisible), 1,231 guests, and 940 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,148
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.