Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Any history buffs here that can suggest books regarding the country's development during the colonial period...not necessarily the Revolutionary War, but history of the development of the eastern half of the U.S.?

French and Indian War "history" would be good...looking for history, not fiction.

Last edited by org_Rogue_Hunter; 04/11/24.

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m gonna have to do a little research here, but here’s a book I recommend pretty highly.
A Few Acres Of Snow
( the same guy from the “Pacific” miniseries.)
I’ll have to get back to you. I have read quite a bit on the French &Indian Wars and how they sorta lead into the War For Independence, but I don’t remember titles and authors off the top of my head. Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I would start with William Bradford's journal. There is one titled Plymouth Plantation that is good.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks, 7mmbuster, I appreciate it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A little reading topped off with a trip to Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown would be the ticket.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I would be interested as well, my family settled with the puritans in 1639, at New Bedford Mass. bay colony.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
A little reading topped off with a trip to Colonial Williamsburg/Jamestown would be the ticket.

Make sure you go to the real Jamestown and not just the tourist part....

Daughter works restoring historical buildings in Virginia and she gave us the tour of the real Jamestown and it's fascinating. She rebuilt all the windows in the church there.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Lewis and Clarks journal. The Needham Text. Reconstruction in North Carolina, one if a series of scholarly investigations in the South.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Undaunted Courage by Stephen(could be Steven) Ambrose.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Couple others that I have read.
Guns At The Forks
Braddock’s Defeat
The one I’m reading right now,
To Risk It All, covers Forbes campaign to get control of The Ohio country for Great Britain.
I really haven’t gotten into the colonial period much other than the French & Indian War, and most of that is slanted heavily towards Pennsylvania. After all, it’s my home, and my family has been here since around 1754!😎
These are all pretty good, but I realize maybe not exactly what you’re looking for. Check out Allan W Eckert’s series. They cover this , and how France, England and the colonies tried to charm the Indians into supporting them, and how some of the Indian leaders were able to play them off against each other!😀
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
A lot of colonial history seems to revolve around Europeon domination of N. American...so most inform may be "tucked into" war campaigns.

Leckie's book sounds pretty good...it's on my shopping list for Amazon.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Come Spring by Ben Ames Williams is fiction but set in local where they have been trying to make me grow up.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Border Wars of the Upper Ohio Valley: 1769-1794 by Hintzen
the bloody indian wars of the east.

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
15-20yrs ago there were some historical records from the "Ohio country"; it might have been downloaded files of diaries from a university achieve??? I remember a part that described how the Indians stripped their captives then shoot their muskets loaded only with black powder, so when these people were burnt at the stack the unburnt power would create kind of fireworks as the bodies burnt.

Anyone see/read/remember anything like this??

Last edited by org_Rogue_Hunter; 04/12/24.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 1936M71, 55 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,024
Posts18,481,722
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.