-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
[quote=458Win]I will say that I would feel better armed with my 9mm and 147 Gr FN Buffalo bore ammo than my M60 357

More holes are well, more, right?

[\quote]

Well sure, but you’re basing that on first hand experience and not innernet experts. Doubtful at best!!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really enjoyed listening to your insights on Spomer's podcast.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Phil, I thoroughly enjoyed that podcast. I was listening to it while I was putting together a chicken casserole. Every now and then I'd step over to the computer screen and watch bits of it. What impressed me right off the bat was the unflinching certainty wand authority with which you answered Ron's questions about bear behavior. I guess it's to be expected from a man with 45 years years of experience, but it still awed me. It was also interesting to hear you talk about how you will take time out to more or less experiment with their reaction.

Listeners and viewers should walk away knowing this. They should bring what they shoot well and use a proper bullet!

With each question you answered and each comment you made, it spawned another question in me. I won't hit you with a full barrage. but if you'll indulge, I'd like to run a few by you.

I have had few encounters with Kodiak browns. Only one that could be considered close. In one case, I was hunting the perimeter of Buskin Lake when a very heavy fog set in. I was so close to one that I could hear it, and smell it, but I still couldn't see it. I was so nervous and pumped up that with each beat of my pounding heart, my vision blurred. Have you become cooler over time with close encounters or is it something that you just have in you?

You mentioned that you live in an area with a high density bear population. Do those bear behave differently than those in lower density areas? Do Kodiak browns behave differently from those on the peninsula?

You have a well refined sense of when they mean business and when they don't. What are few tell tale signs that they are going to attack?

I am very interested in what your testing with bullets has revealed. Have you ever tested penetration on A-Frame handgun bullets. The partition sits very far forward on them, and I have always fancied that out of my Glock 40 10mm they'd give enough penetration to reliably hit vitals while giving a little expansion as well. Any thoughts or experience?

I am glad you are still willing to hang out here. I read every word you write with interest.

Oh, and $10,000 worth of groceries at Costco!!!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Enjoyed the interview!

Pretty good questions Paul.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 458Win
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
180 gr Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman they are running mighty close to the 1400 fps advertised velocity

WOW! That’s got to be a handful in the ‘65!

Thank you and hope you folks never have to use these in an emergency situation.

They do recoil pretty stiffly but are much more pleasant and manageable than my 44 Mtn Gun with equivalent loads.
But that load is literally painful to shoot in a M60 J frame S&W

Mr. Shoemaker:

I’m sure you have found the best solution for you and many others.

I’m just curious about that choice.

I have a G40 that spits out 200gr UW HC bullets at an avg of 1,314 fps.

The recoil is fairly tame.

Heavier bullet; wider bullet; almost as fast; less recoil; quicker follow-up shots; probably a bit heavier, but fairly comfortable to me in a Blackhawk holster.

That thing has never failed to fire.

Does that seem like a decent solution, among many others?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I loved "placement and (bullet) performance trumps everything else". So true.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
OUTSTAND PODCAST !!! We are blessed.

"not too grumpy"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Phil, do your M65's have 4" barrels?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I wonder what your “go to test medium” is?

Other than having dead bears handy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I wonder what your “go to test medium” is?

Other than having dead bears handy.

I have tested numerous caliber on bears, both alive and dead, and have a good idea of how deep different calibers and bullets penetrate.

So using plastic bags to hold them I simply used a stack of 1” dry magazine, followed by 4” of damp magazine, another 1” dry, then another 4” wet until I had a couple feet available.
It may or may not have been exact but it was amazingly close to what I got in a real bear
Then I could honestly compare my 30 Tokarev, 9mm , 357 and 44 loads

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
180 gr Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman they are running mighty close to the 1400 fps advertised velocity

WOW! That’s got to be a handful in the ‘65!

Thank you and hope you folks never have to use these in an emergency situation.

They do recoil pretty stiffly but are much more pleasant and manageable than my 44 Mtn Gun with equivalent loads.
But that load is literally painful to shoot in a M60 J frame S&W

Mr. Shoemaker:

I’m sure you have found the best solution for you and many others.

I’m just curious about that choice.

I have a G40 that spits out 200gr UW HC bullets at an avg of 1,314 fps.

The recoil is fairly tame.

Heavier bullet; wider bullet; almost as fast; less recoil; quicker follow-up shots; probably a bit heavier, but fairly comfortable to me in a Blackhawk holster.

That thing has never failed to fire.

Does that seem like a decent solution, among many others?

It sounds like an excellent choice as long as you have confidence in it

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I have a Tisa 1911 with a long slide/barrel and I have fired over 200 rounds through it without a hiccup, this was over 3 trips to the range temps were from 20 to 50 degrees. I am very happy with the gun it is a breeze to shoot, I was happily surprised with the mild recoil and the accuracy is better than I can do, I am not a good shot with pistol, I tend to spend a lot more time shooting rifles at 1,000 yards than I do pistols at shorter range.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,924
Posts18,479,785
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.