Originally Posted by WMR
Originally Posted by geedubya
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Almost could be it's cousin....

Chambered for the 257 AI

ya!

GWB

Forgive me for sidetracking things, but dang, GWB, that’s a knife! Who’s the maker? That thing’s a work of art.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The maker is Rick Menefee, Menefee made knives. Rickis basically a stock removal guy. He told me that was the first knife he forged with a hamon'. Scales are mammoth Ivory. I do believe it is a one-off effort.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thank you. Knives, for me are all about lines and proportions. Lots of good craftsmen out there, but some produce works of art. It’s hard to describe, but when one is “right”, it’s right. And that one’s right.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by WMR
Thank you. Knives, for me are all about lines and proportions. Lots of good craftsmen out there, but some produce works of art. It’s hard to describe, but when one is “right”, it’s right. And that one’s right.

Rick does some good stuff.

You might check the Menefee knives thread in that forum.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by ruffcutt
Originally Posted by Anteloper
How did they drill the butt for weight savings with a skeletonized buttplate?
You can a faint outline of the plug that was installed and then checkering cut over it.

Thanks. Had to go back & look again.

See it now.

Interesting!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Oh it isn't either rude to ask. Sheesh.

Dress like a slut and someone is gonna hit on you.

Went through this same thing on another thread, Jim.

Guy had sent a gun off to be completely redone by Turnbull. He was ashamed of what he paid, so didn't want to expose that.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Gorgeous rifle Shrap

It is!

But it's never been on a sheep hunt I've been on. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice guns

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I usually agree with you but…..

I have no idea if a gun like that is worth $2000 or $10,000. I would like to own a gun like that but if I stumble into one I have no idea what would be a fair price.

Everyone knows if you walk away from a good priced rifle to do research on it it will be gone by the time you get back to it.

I would ask what someone gave for something I am curious what price range they fall into just in case I ever find one for sale.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I don’t care what it cost but I got a chuckle out of, the widow wants to sell it but when I asked how much she replied “priceless”. I got news for you sweetheart, if it’s priceless then you ain’t gonna sell it. If you think I’m purchasing your memories of your husband you’re WRONG, I’m buying a rifle not your memories!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldquailhunter
I usually agree with you but…..

I have no idea if a gun like that is worth $2000 or $10,000. I would like to own a gun like that but if I stumble into one I have no idea what would be a fair price.

Everyone knows if you walk away from a good priced rifle to do research on it it will be gone by the time you get back to it.

I would ask what someone gave for something I am curious what price range they fall into just in case I ever find one for sale.

There is no standard for custom rifles by master gun makers. This is the only one like it, there is nothing to use for a comparison. You have to have an intimate knowledge and understanding of rifles and makers to even begin talking price. It then becomes what it is worth to both parties to determine a value, so ball parking a price is of little to no value unless you have some idea of what you are doing…

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
If I had seen that rifle for sale and I had the money, I would have bought it no matter what the caliber was. That stock is gorgeous!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Monty Kennedy said in his book "it is the height of something or other to be able to do this stuff". In my opinion it is. We are blessed here in America with many fine gunmakers. Jerry Fisher is one of them. These guys make a living doing fine work. It's not your Custom Shop type of work. It is full on custom to your requirements. That rifle is a one off from a custom maker at the top of his profession. Good wood has never been cheap but it was far cheaper a few decades ago than it is now. Turnbull does work not many others can do and does it well. He has to make a living. This isn't 1911 and prices reflect that cost of living difference.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Can anyone identify the type of Walnut that was used for the wood? I have a custom Savage 99 (284) with the same wood on it. Rifle came out of Calif. Rifle listed for approx
$170 new. Betting the wood job cost many times rifle cost , when it was put on. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is an enjoyable original post, and a great find. Both buyer and seller were knowledgeable and fully informed about the item involved in the transaction. It was an arms-length, good-faith exchange that both sides considered a bargain. What did he pay? By definition, fair market value.

A deal like that requires someone with means, knowledge, judgement, taste and appreciation for a work of fine art. It's sad to think that in a few years at some future gun show, there might be a few buyers with the means, but none that can appreciate what they are looking at. We are not only losing the Jerry Fishers of the gun world, but also the clients that drive them. I may have the appreciation, but I usually lack the Benjamins to give the seller her due. I'm glad that Mrs. Fisher could not only make a fair deal but find a good home for husband's labor of love. A rifle like that was not made to be mauled by the hands of ruffians, and it's comforting to know that Shrapnel will put it to its best use.

I look forward to more photos from the range and from the field.

Last edited by gaperry59; 04/20/24.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Beautiful!

Molon Labe
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Forgive me if you already quoted this already, but the 25 Durham is based on the 243 WIN case? Im finding different versions of 25 Durham online.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,835
Posts18,478,088
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.