Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Like Q said, "Watch the Water."

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Naw, never seen anything happen that could cause barges to come loose.

Notice anything missing? A little pressure on the winch line to snug things up before we cut loose from the dock and wheeee.

Those are 18-20 inches tall, maybe 10" around, and 3/8 inch steel as I recall. Probably had been on there without an issue for 20 years. When it came off it went wizzing past me at head height, maybe 20 feet at most to my right. That cable would normally be on the back bollard.

Dang. Did you even have time to duck, or was it one of those “ WTF just happened” moments?
SOrt of "POP-twang" when the thing came off and the wire came free. I was maybe 20-30 feet back from it, one of the tug guys was a bit closer but not in line. Guessing because the wire came around the outside of the back barge to that one, it had enough of an angle on it that it got sent into the river and not back onto the barge I was standing on. The tow was almost made up, deck guy had just tightened up the winch, the tug Capt moved us a little, it was a little bouncy from the spill from the dam, and that was it.

I may have been able to duck as I was facing it when it happened, watching the guys on the front barge. It wasn't scheidt yer pants scary...................but close.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As long as my boomer welfare check is on time I don't care.

NRA-Benefactor
TSRA-Life

"It's a terrible thing when governments send their young men to kill each other." Charles Byrne,WW2 Vet.
On the day Desert Storm began.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm starting to see a pattern here.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ooops!

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
It happens but doesn't make the news until something is damaged. My stepson worked on the Lower Mississippi 18 years. He has several stories about the tow hitting bottom or solid obstructions and breaking up the tow. Then they have to try to catch the.loose barges and tie them back together.

Barge breakaways are very common on the LMR, especially during high water. Most of the time they are rounded up without issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Notice anything missing? A little pressure on the winch line to snug things up before we cut loose from the dock and wheeee.

Those are 18-20 inches tall, maybe 10" around, and 3/8 inch steel as I recall. Probably had been on there without an issue for 20 years. When it came off it went wizzing past me at head height, maybe 20 feet at most to my right. That cable would normally be on the back bollard.

Dang. Did you even have time to duck, or was it one of those “ WTF just happened” moments?
SOrt of "POP-twang" when the thing came off and the wire came free. I was maybe 20-30 feet back from it, one of the tug guys was a bit closer but not in line. Guessing because the wire came around the outside of the back barge to that one, it had enough of an angle on it that it got sent into the river and not back onto the barge I was standing on. The tow was almost made up, deck guy had just tightened up the winch, the tug Capt moved us a little, it was a little bouncy from the spill from the dam, and that was it.

I may have been able to duck as I was facing it when it happened, watching the guys on the front barge. It wasn't scheidt yer pants scary...................but close.

Back when I was on active duty, we ran a case where a barge cable snapped and nearly cut a deck hand in half.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I'm starting to see a pattern here.
Like Cessna 152s augering into 113 potato chip manufacturing plants??????

Oooooo…..awwwwwwwww, ohhhhhhhhh.

Oh yes, forego my turkey season……stay home and monitor mother earth news

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Until you’ve seen big stainless cables under such stress that the strike of an axe snaps them like dried spaghetti you can’t appreciate the true strain they can take.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.