-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't own and have never shot these cartridges. I saw a video on YouTube where the person was complaining that his shorter barreled 6.5 PRC was essentially the same speed as his longer barreled 6.5 Creedmoor. Maybe the 6.5-284 needs a longer barrel?

GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Had a 6.5 X 284 2 barrels and lots of frustration never consistent accuracy and showed pressure signs. My chamber, dies and brass
were not the same.

Sold it and 6, 6.5 Creedmoors later no issues and not much slower.

Check the fit of your chamber with a sharpie or candle smoke it will reveal a lot.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
The brass gripping the chamber walls is a myth. I tested even dipping a cartridge in oil. Same pressure on bolt face.
Charlie

PO Ackley ran some tests with a 30-30 Imp cartridge. This test indicated otherwise. I refer those interested to a Section titled "Pressure" in Vol I of his "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan
The brass gripping the chamber walls is a myth. I tested even dipping a cartridge in oil. Same pressure on bolt face.
Charlie

PO Ackley ran some tests with a 30-30 Imp cartridge. This test indicated otherwise. I refer those interested to a Section titled "Pressure" in Vol I of his "Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders".
I just grabbed my copy if P.O.'s Vol#1 and disagree with you MM. Mr.Ackley's writing style is goofy at best and I have to reread paragraphs frequently. It ain't my fault my
experiences stick in my brain better than just reading about it. I would put my money on Mr.Sisk on this. Lotsa stuff happens very fast when the primer is punched.
I will say that PO was way ahead of his time. He described the new design of precision rifle cartridges a long time ago. I just wonder why it took so long
to get where we are now.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have found the 6.5-284 to be the easiest .264 caliber cartridge to get to shoot well. It has won more 1000 yard BR matches than all the other 6.5s combined. I get 150 fps more than any of my Creedmoor chambered rifles.
My go to rifle is still chambered in 6.5-284. It is on a Phoenix action and wears the 3rd barrel. Best barrel i every had for it was a Chanlynn. The Shilen on it now is no slouch. I cut my barrels at 25" for my 284 builds.
I wore 2 barrels out shooting 142 grain Sierra match kings back before Bergers were widely available. My 1000 yd BR load used V V N160

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charlie

I actually measured the pressure. John Barsness has the details in his books.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
How does one measure the pressure on the locking lugs?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fuji pressure film.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hunting guns are terrible for barrel consistency, rough cut, undersized, oversized, etc. QC is virtually non existent. Forget the exterior shinny crap, an inaccurate rifle is worthless regardless of how pretty it is.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Charlie

I actually measured the pressure. John Barsness has the details in his books.

I found the article in GGII Charlie - thanks. I recognize that Ackley was trying to "sell" that minimum body taper (via an improved cartridge) reduces bolt thrust - and it doesn't when you're operating at higher (> 50 kpsi) pressures. Your Fuji film test show this. Brass actually does grip the chamber walls, which was my point. JB's article acknowledges that there can be zero bolt thrust when pressures are ~ 42 kpsi, or below, as the brass does not reach its elastic limit and stretch to conform to the full chamber length. At these lower pressures, primers out because the case does indeed grip the chamber wall. As JB writes, at about 50 kpsi, the brass stretches as pushes against the bolt face and transfers to the locking lugs. No attempt to discredit you - I think we are both right in regards to what we were trying to say.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.